Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 9:18:51 PM EDT
This is really close to home...

Link to story

Tom Willingham didn't know what to think when the FBI approached him about helping them arrest someone they suspected of wanting to commit a terrorist act on U.S. soil.

"Nobody knew enough to be scared," said Willingham, president and CEO of Point Blank Range & Gun Shop. "We knew everyone (law enforcement) was in place."

Willingham's employees sold two semi-automatic rifles at about 11 a.m. Wednesday to Christopher Lee Cornell, also known as Raheel Mahrus Ubaydah, at the Colerain Township location.

"We did not know (Cornell). He came in for a purchase," Willingham said.

After the gun store employees ran Cornell's name through the national background check system to ensure he had no criminal record and was eligible to buy guns – "Not anyone can come in and buy a gun and walk out," Willingham said – Cornell was sold what Willingham called "sporting rifles." In addition to the M-15 rifles, Cornell also bought 600 rounds of ammunition.

When Cornell left the store and walked to the parking lot of the business in the 7200 block of Harrison Avenue, he was arrested by the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Cornell, 20, of Green Township, is accused of using cyberspace to plot to assassinate Congressional employees and attack the U.S. Capitol for his personal jihad. He was charged with attempted killing of U.S. government officers and possession of firearms in furtherance of an attempted crime of violence.

He's being held in the Butler County Jail.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I was shocked to see this. It's too close to home. I guess I know what direction to shift my prepping now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#2]
How come they always have the same "look"?

They've mastered propaganda to a degree that Joseph Goebbels is envious.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Was he really thinking of doing this before a FBI agent made contact with him. He most likely has a lower than average IQ and is easily manipulated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW, "dindu nuffins" can be used to discuss this event.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It will be interesting to see how many of these get ferreted out in the coming weeks.
If true, he should get a long vacation in the fed pen.

ETA:
zer0 is at it again, overnight he released 5 more Gitmo detainees  
PLEASE call your reps and request the bill be passed.
WTH?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Too close to home for sure.  He was arrested when he tried to purchase two firearms and ammo... an example of the laws in that are in place already doing some good.  Maybe there isn't a need for more BS legislation?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was he really thinking of doing this before a FBI agent made contact with him. He most likely has a lower than average IQ and is easily manipulated.
View Quote

Does it matter?  You could probably say the same about thing about most of the "foot soldiers" in the radical Muslim world but they are still dangerous and they still pose a very real threat.  I remember hearing the same thing about the occupy morons who wanted to blow up that bridge in the Cleveland area a few years ago. Below average intelligence and easily manipulated for sure, but also seeking out violent and radical connections all by themselves. Thank god one of the connections that this kid made got in trouble and offered him up.  I'm sure that the Feds led him a bit but I doubt that they had to put a whole lot of effort into it.

Hell, we probably did him a favor, instead of dying in a violent attack against us now he gets to go to prison and radicalize a segment of the population he comes into contact with there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Similar thing happened to me back in 2004-2005 . . . I guess for NICS that 2 times out of 300 million qualifies as 'working well'

How I pissed off Dick Cheney

My favorite comes from the other side of the counter and is called "How I saved the President so he could finish screwing up the country" :)

It was 2004-05 and I was working at a gun store when a guy came in to pickup a firearm that NICS had put on delay. (Don't remember if it was approved or if it was past the 3 days.) Anyway, the guy was stinking of alcohol so I refused to transfer him the firearm. To make matter worse, his mother was there with him (he had to be late 30s) and kept telling me don't sell him that gun, he doesn't need it, he shouldn't have it etc etc etc. I told her that since he had paid for it and had passed the NICS check, that as soon as he came in sober, we could transfer it to him.

Anyway, the guy left and I put the gun in the back with a big note telling the day shift to make sure the guy was not drunk when he came back to pick it up the next day. The following morning I was at my regular job when the store manager called in a panic wanting to know if I transferred a firearm to Mr. Smith or whoever. I told him no and told him about him smelling like alcohol etc etc. The manager then explained that the secret service was standing in the store looking for the guy and the gun.

Turns out the guy had been sending threats to Bush that he was going to buy a gun and shoot him etc etc. The NICS check flagged him and they came to get him when he tried to purchase the gun.

Funny thing is that Dick Cheney doesn't like me anymore :)
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Similar thing happened to me back in 2004-2005 . . . I guess for NICS that 2 times out of 300 million qualifies as 'working well'

View Quote

Relatively speaking of the gov't, I would consider it working well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a damn kid, unfortunate to think what he has just done to his life.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Too close to home for sure.  He was arrested when he tried to purchase two firearms and ammo... an example of the laws in that are in place already doing some good.  Maybe there isn't a need for more BS legislation?
View Quote

Uh, hate to break it to you but this has nothing to do with gun laws or NICS working.  

They were on to this guy, from an informant who was somebody they turned in some deal.  He gave up his buddy.

This guy bought the guns and left the store, at that time, the FBI scooped him up.  He doesn't have any criminal record, so if they weren't on to him to begin with, he would have bought the guns, left and nobody would have been the wiser.  Maybe he shows up on the capital steps, maybe not.

They will get him on some kind of conspiracy but that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

True, but who's fault is that?  He had a HS education and didn't appear to pursue anything beyond that.  Further education doesn't assure success, but he didn't seem to have any real ambition or skills.  Is that his fault or the BHO economy's fault or something else?  He had a seasonal part time job at Kohls, a short walk (apparently he didn't have a car) from where he lived but that's it.  Kudos to the kid for working that job unless his only real motivation was to fund his jihad aspirations.  I think kids these days are prone to this sort of thing (as well as drugs, etc.) more than when I was a kid because it's more normal to live at home, play games, etc. and have a prolonged childhood.  When I was 20 I was married, finishing college with a kid on the way.  All of that was not real well planned on my part, but back then people stepped up and got on with things.  What do they call these kids?  Disaffected youths?  Did he get into this out of boredom?  When I was his age I didn't have time to be bored.  His parents didn't seem to be at the top of their game either so he probably didn't get much of a base to work from.  That said, he made his own bed and will get to sleep in it for a long time I would guess.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps they will send him to Gitmo for advanced training.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#15]
They'll probably let him go and we'll see him in the news again a few years down the road.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They'll probably let him go and we'll see him in the news again a few years down the road.
View Quote

I don't think so.  The kid and his parents are full of fuck and that will seal his fate.  Good riddens...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

True, but who's fault is that?  He had a HS education and didn't appear to pursue anything beyond that.  Further education doesn't assure success, but he didn't seem to have any real ambition or skills.  Is that his fault or the BHO economy's fault or something else?  He had a seasonal part time job at Kohls, a short walk (apparently he didn't have a car) from where he lived but that's it.  Kudos to the kid for working that job unless his only real motivation was to fund his jihad aspirations.  I think kids these days are prone to this sort of thing (as well as drugs, etc.) more than when I was a kid because it's more normal to live at home, play games, etc. and have a prolonged childhood.  When I was 20 I was married, finishing college with a kid on the way.  All of that was not real well planned on my part, but back then people stepped up and got on with things.  What do they call these kids?  Disaffected youths?  Did he get into this out of boredom?  When I was his age I didn't have time to be bored.  His parents didn't seem to be at the top of their game either so he probably didn't get much of a base to work from.  That said, he made his own bed and will get to sleep in it for a long time I would guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he didn't have a job  or a car, how the hell did he afford two ARs and all that ammo?  Where did the financing come from?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]

If he didn't have a job  or a car, how the hell did he afford two ARs and all that ammo?  Where did the financing come from?
View Quote

As I understand it, he had a job over Christmas at the Kohl's store near his home.  I believe the story so far is that he saved his money from that job.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top