Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2007 2:20:16 PM EDT
I just got the call from my FFL that my metric receiver arrived, and my Imbel kit has been sitting in a box in my garage for months.  Anyone in the area experienced in building a FAL, and want to mentor a FAL newbie & loan their tools?  

I've built a few AK's from flats, but I've never done anything with a FAL so I don't even know where to start.  Maybe we can work out a "I'll help you with your AK build and you help me with my FAL" arrangement?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You might try getting in touch with this guy?

His website claims he's in San Antonio.  I have no idea if that is still true.  His walkthrough of the build was incredibly helpful to me when I built my FAL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were in my area I would help a brother out but I am 5 hours away from SA.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I get to DFW a few times a year to visit my brother, but you must be either north of Dallas, down in the valley, or way too far west for me!  I just picked up the receiver today - I took a gamble on the Century $200 receiver deal that just ended, and I'm impressed!  All the things that folks said were issues with the old receivers seem to have been corrected on this new batch.  We'll see once the build starts, but so far it looks like a quality receiver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Who did you transfer through here in town?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I used Wetmore Shooting Sports over by the airport.  First time with him (Frank).  I used to use Dietz shooting range in New Braunfels, but they don't do transfers anymore (just as well, they ask too many questions!).  Then I used Sportsman's Warehouse, but they too quit doing private xfers.  I found WSS through Shotgun News & another "hobby" site, so I called him and gave it a try.  He's cheap ($20), and close to where I live.  His hours are a little odd, but he will do appointments too.  He has a small office in a generic building in a mostly industrial area.  He does a lot of paperwork (receipts, liability releases, & you have to notify him before you xfer), but he seems to be a popular FFL xfer agent because both vendors I've purchased from lately already had his FFL on file so I didn't have to send them anything (NoDak Spud & Century Int'l Arms).  Give him a try - he appears to be an OK dude.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
That's cool I usually go through the Bullet Hole over on Groesenbacher. They are good for me because that is where I shoot here in town and they are in between my house and base. They charge $25 but Michelle is really good to work with as are the other guys I've dealt with so far. Only one I've had miscommunication issues with is the older guy (no names). He means well just don't catch him when they are busy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top