Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 5:22:02 PM EDT
I think it was the metric mags I had. They were never used in my rifle. Mousegun I think I will hit the range and seperate the ones that work and the new ones.

What happened was it looked like instead of stripping the round off the top, it held it on the mag. The shell was driven back into the case (mashed it into the case). The first round at the COF was chambered and fired and the second did not feed right and hung up....when I tried to clear it the slug fell out and the shell filled the inside of my action with powder!

After I cleaned it some of the mags were still doing the same thing. John said to have the head space checked (which I will to be sure) but I do not think it is the problem. Another person at the shoot said to also check the feed ramp out to see if it need to be polished?

The really great thing was the CETME worked great. When I ran the coarse I was so concerned about it jamming that I thought I missed them all!

We are going to have to get all the FALs out at a shoot to show everyone that the "ghosts" we are chasing can be fixed and these are excellent rifles.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
SHD,

all my FALs are metric so I have no experience when it comes to Inch receiver.

How do those metric mags fit on your L1A1?  Are they kinda wobbly?  

Did you notice if the feeding problem occurred more often on one side of the receiver than the other?  

Do you have dual channel feed ramp? Or is it the infamous unibrow feed ramp found on early Century receiver?  The unibrow feed ramp has been known to cause feeding problems.

From what you described, it sounds like your magazine is sitting too low esp. the front end of the mag.  The inch receiver has a much larger magazine catch notch, hence using a metric mag may result in a loose fit.

One of these weekends, I hope to meet you guys at FL range.  Perhaps we can see what the bugs are.

oz
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Shi do you have ANY inch magazines?  If not, get some asap and try them.  

Inch mags for inch guns

Metric mags for metric guns
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Duke-Nukem

inch mags are harder to find and cost more.  If the inch receiver is totally milspec, it should be able to work with metric mags.  It will be a bit loose, but it should work.

oz
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It feeds the inch mag great and WAS feeding the metrics great, but I picked up a few used ones.  I really think it is these mags, but I cant get out to the range until this weekend.  The metric mags are a little loose but they were much cheaper..hummm.

The ramp is a cut ledge which I think is the "unibrow type".  It is rough and has the striping from the jackets leading in.  I have two snap cap shells and it seems to feed fine in the left and hangs up a little on the right.  My two old metric mags feed great and never failed, so I really think the mags are maybe to low.

I may go ahead and polish the ramp (and not remove any metal).  Another thing I need to do is pull the mags apart and clean them.  I have been so busy I could not do that before the last shoot and they have a lot of crud on and in them.    

Have you guys polished the FAL ramps either the inch or metric?  

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I never polished the feed ramp on my FALs.  But I have tweaked the feed lips in some of my mags.  I just used a pair of pliers and some dummy rounds I made.  I think there are 3 things you can do:

1.  Polish feed ramp.

2.  Look at the wings on the receiver inside the magazine well.  If you look from underneath, you will see two wings (one on each side) that keeps the magazine from going all the way in.  I have heard that these wings may not have the same thickness.  In your case, the right wing may be a little thicker, hence causing the magazine to sit a little lower on the right side.  If you can slowly and carefully polish/remove some material under the right wing, it may help the mag to sit a little higher.

3.  Look at the magazine feed lips.  I have like new mags from DSA that will not feed from the right side.  Upon closer inspection, the feed lip on the right is pushed down a bit.  With a pair of pliers I just raise the lip carefully, a little at a time.  Now the mag feeds reliably.    

Hey, do you know that you can buy slightly rusted FAL mags from Tapco for $2 each ??  Interested?  Let me know before you place an order.  Maybe we can combine our orders to save the shipping.  10 mags for $20??  Cant beat that with a stick.

Are you going to FL this weekend?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
All I want to do is go to the range! Busy, Busy and Busy!

Beta_mo called and said he was thinking about Sunday.  That will be the earliest I can get out to try the mags.  If we do decide to head out I will post tomorrow with the time.

Later this evening I'm going to check the mag feed lips and the "wings" thickness on the receiver.

The FAL mag deal sounds great.  I will get with you on that.

Happy Holidays oz and all!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
SHD,

the forecast calls for the high temp of 45 degree on Saturday and 54 degree on Sunday.  What do you think?  I am inclined to go on Sunday (warmer).  Just shoot me the time and I will meet you out there.

oz
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Mousegun87,

Well I polished the ramp and removed the rough finish.  The left side of the ramp is at a different angle then the right, and it is hanging up there.  I'm hoping the smoothing of the ramp surface will help the shell glide in.

I also cleaned all the mags and looked really close at them and they all look fine.  The inch mag does the same thing.

I will be freed up for a couple hours tomorrow.  I'm heading out to the FL range around 10am Sunday morning to see if it works.  Sorry I could not get you a time earlier, but come on out if you can.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I just returned from the range and it was WINDY!  Mousegun87 was out there and right about the depth of the mag.  The Inch mags work great, but the metric did not.  The metric sits lower in the receiver like oz said.  If I pushed up on the metric mag when I fired it fed fine.  So, hey Metalman I need to use a wire welder and try to move down the lug/front catch.

I cant be the only one with this problem?  All the online info is just whining about Century, so does anyone have some good FAL/Century sites with real improvements and repairs to problems?  

Duke if this does not work well I will buy inch mags like you said!

And oz thanks for the scaled down target.

Brad

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!

I will look into inch mags then, and not mess with the metric lug.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
SHDm check your IM.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
ive been fighting the same battle thinking iu had a pos rifle. come to find out the pos that sold it to me who claims metrics work in inch guns is a retard. show at wards saturday and sunday gonna see if i can find some more inch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top