Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2012 4:39:13 PM EDT
I just ordered what  will be my last FAL kit.  I've enjoyed building a number of kits with friends and family and thought it might be a nice way to meet some new people.  I know summer isn't the season for building guns but is anyone interested in doing a FAL build party this summer?
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I am just curious which FAL kit did you ordered?   Do you have all the tools for building an FAL?  I have never owned an FAL and not to mention I have never built any rifle before but been toying with the idea of building one from the Argy FAL kit from Sarco on a Coonan Argy receiver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I've built 6 kits myself and helped friends and family with another six or so.  Mostly imbel kits on DSA or imbel receivers and a couple of StG kits.  I just purchased the Sarco Argentine kit and plan to build it on a Coonan receiver.  

I have all the tools I've needed so far. But there's always the chance of encountering unexpected problems. .. An excuse to buy more tools is always welcome!

Here's what I had in mind for the build party schedule:

1st meeting (social meeting): everyone who has a FAL brings it for show and tell, discussions of what kits are available, discuss different FAL variations, discuss different receiver options, discuss compliance parts options, and maybe watch some of "Gun Plumbers" video

2nd meeting (shop or garage meeting): once everyone has their kits in hand; how to properly inventory, evaluate, and clean the kits, determine and order furniture, compliance parts, receiver type, order barrels, etc.

3rd meeting (shop meeting): once everone has their recievers and compliance parts; time the barrel to the receiver and establish headspace, assemble rifle, order proper locking shoulder, discuss refinishing options, furniture, optics, etc

4th meeting (shop meeting): once everyone has the proper locking shoulder; install locking shoulder, verify headspace, refinish paint or whatever

5th meeting (range meeting): test fire, adjust gas, and sight in rifle

These are the steps I've gone through myself and with friends and family.  You could build the rifle in an afternoon if you plan well but it usually works out better if you build in stages giving time to understand what you want and ordering parts etc.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Where abouts would this take place ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Man!!  I wish I was back home for this!!  ...I'm stuck in Anchorage, AK until I retire next year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where abouts would this take place ?

I would like to know this as well, I have a South African and a STG58 kit I ordered in 2005-2006 that still have not been assembled...

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My place is in issaquah and I'm happy to host, but we could do the first two meetings pretty much anywhere.  It's nice to have an air compressor for the second meeting clean up.  

The first meeting would be open to anyone Considering a FAL build.  The following meeting would be set when everyone has their kits in hand.  I'm still waiting for my Sarco Argie kit to ship.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 kits that need built.

I hosted for several AK builds, but dont have access to that shop anylonger.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be interested.  Never built one,  but would like to.  Did you get the FAL kit w/ barrel?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Below are a couple of sources for FAL kits that I know of.  You can also find kits on gunbroker or various other website market places.  The FAL Files is a good source for kits and parts.  It's disappointing to learn how scarce the kits have become.  The days of FAL building are coming to an end it seems.   To answer the question about the barrel, you can buy a kit with or without a barrel.  Some are in great shape, some not so much.  I ordered the kit with the barrel, it's the length I want and I think it's new.  Still waiting for delivery...

Sarco Kit
G1 Kit
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm interested.

I've been thinking about trying to learn how to build a 1911 for my next project, but the more I research it the more I think I should get more experiance building first. Something harder than a the plug-&-play AR, but easier than a if-you-don't-get-it-tuned-perfectly-it's-a-jam'o'matic 1911. The right arm of the free world sounds closer to my skill level.

Off to do some research.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always wanted to build one of these......and I have a shop.

I don't have a receiver or kit, just a desire to put one together.  Everyone needs a little 7.62 luvin.  I know a girl named Hillary in 7.62 that punches Marines in the eye!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Semi-interested, if meeting 3 happens before Aug 1. I have a Franken-Fal to build and just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
A build party is basically meeting 3, (which is all I'm needin' and gas is expensive up to King County.) The rest would be warm and fuzzy. 1Gunrunner and bobbity-bobbity will tell you I'm a bit anti-social, but building FALs would bring me out of my cave.
I can bring a receiver wrench, sight alignment tool and buttstock tool and will remind everyone repeatedly to put the damn hand guard ring on before timing the barrel.

ETA: IMHO, the deal on gunthings .com's G1 kit linked above with a new US barrel and installed gas block would be hard to beat for an FN built rifle. If you don't want to pin the G1 flash hider, the barrel is threaded for a different style. Brad is great to deal with too. Realize they are not pristine and would need re-finished or could simply be left in original "used" finish.

There's kits, receivers and parts available here too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread seems to have died in the trail-unless an FAL build party is being planned secret squirrel style through IMs.
I'm in no hurry. Doc sawed off the end of my collarbone in May and screwed a couple titanium anchors into the humerus (which I have not found to be very humorous   ) on my shooting side. I don't know if I'll even be able to fire a high powered rifle within the next year due to recoil. Maybe it's time to start practice shooting offside with a .22 rifle or field loads in the 20 gauge to get the feel of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Working on logistics now, it seems I'll be moving next month.  On a good note, The Sarco Argie kit I ordered should arrive next week.  I'll update with a plan for a meeting soon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Working on logistics now, it seems I'll be moving next month.  On a good note, The Sarco Argie kit I ordered should arrive next week.  I'll update with a plan for a meeting soon.

Moving? Hopefuly south toward the LCR.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple old kits but it would have to be on the dry side for me to make it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
they're all broken

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a couple old kits but it would have to be on the dry side for me to make it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/wombatslayer/127_2771_2s.jpg

Are your STG58 kits matching #s? Herstal or Steyr?

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
The numbers on the bolt an lower match I do not know where any other numbers are.  How do you tell if it is Herstal or Steyr?  I really do not know that much about FALs.

The STG58 kits are in a lot better shape than the SA kit I have.

Edit to add:  Only the FAL kits are broken now all the rest are operational.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How do you tell if it is Herstal or Steyr?

If you yell 'Achtung' the Steyr's carry handle will snap up at a perfect 45 degrees.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The numbers on the bolt an lower match I do not know where any other numbers are.  How do you tell if it is Herstal or Steyr?  I really do not know that much about FALs.

The STG58 kits are in a lot better shape than the SA kit I have.

Edit to add:  Only the FAL kits are broken now all the rest are operational.

Great! some 1919A4 action! How do you afford the ammo?
Serial # 20,000+/- and under are Herstal. Steyrs are >20/000+/-, up into the 240,000+ range. Barrel & B/BC have different proof marks. Steyr barrels marked 140 VCL  are considered the best of the best. I think Herstal barrels have a "pineapple " looking proof  (Crown above an oval) and say KAL 7.62
FAL Files and Google Images is your friend. I don't recall a lot of the finer details.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Beltfeeds do not get to come out all that often as they are expensive to feed.

It a Steyr with matching number on the barrel.  I think that is the first time that hand guard has been off since it was first put on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Well boys...Stick a fork in me. I'm done. Things fell together for me unexpectedly today.
My Coonan receiver has a S. African barrel installed now. The rest of the kit is a Belgian BGS from Apex.
I will check headspace and order the correct locking shoulder next. I've never had the supplied locking shoulder in a kit be the right one yet. I'm 0 for 6.

ETA: I'm 1 for 7 now.      I size for 1.632" headspace and the locking shoulder in my kit gave 1.633", so I used it.  
Have fun and be safe out there.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Those are a lot of get together days.  Don't think everyone could attend every meeting you have planned.  Sounds cool though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top