Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 1:25:37 AM EDT
I've been assisting someone (I think his username here is Clandestino; he's not sure anymore, either; goes by TopShottaHiFi on Calguns and Macho Hambre on the FAL Files) with developing a FAL fixed-mag device that is mostly drop-in and wanted to get some input from you guys and just let FAL owners here know that there is something in the works (and at least one other company or person is apparently in development of some sort of fixed-mag solution).  The original design was just a less refined version of the magazine catch by itself.  After examining it, I found two ways to defeat the catch.  One was to remove the trigger guard, which can be done without opening the action or anything else qualifying as "disassembly of the action" in the law and regulations.  The other was to remove the magazine catch pivot screw, which causes the magazine to pop out a bit and be able to be removed once the mag catch spring pushes the catch out.  We developed some concepts to deal with this problem and make it so that neither action could be taken without first opening the action.  The result is that in order to remove a magazine, one has to break open the action at minimum.  A goal was to avoid doing anything permanent or unalterable to the rifle, unlike many other ideas out there, and to ensure that the system could be quickly and easily installed or removed with the most basic tools such as those used for disassembly.  My original design concept for preventing removal of the magazine catch would not have required modifying the magazine, but it seems likely to be difficult and expensive to manufacture, so this alternative was devised.  It does require sacrificing one magazine body, but the rifle itself remains unaltered.

This system is not designed to be used for reloading.  It is designed simply to fix the magazine per CA law and regulations while permitting removal of the system and also permitting the magazine to be removed in the course of cleaning, maintenance, repair, etc.  Reloading is to be accomplished through the use of chargers or single-loading, to be accomplished subsequent to the installation of a charger-guide top cover or scope mount (the latter would be necessary for paras).  It is also recommended, to help clear stoppages and to help unload with maximum safety, that either a true 10-round magazine is utilized (preferably a DSA or converted surplus 20-rounder, as original 10-rounders are rather uncommon and valuable), or a blocked magazine is utilized that is blocked in such a way that it can be disassembled or at least have the spring pressure removed sufficiently to help clear a stoppage.  In respect to this and loading, the idea is similar to how the SKS is used.

It has yet to be determined for certain whether or not this system can be adapted to Indian or Commonwealth SLRs due to the differences in those variants to the typical metric FAL.

Currently, the first small batch is being finished and will be provided to some people who have volunteered to be beta testers.  If there is enough interest and demand, especially after costs have been assessed fully and a price can be given out, the intent is to sell this, but we wanted some feedback on the design, interest in going fixed-mag (this was developed because some of us FAL owners don't like grip fins and other traits of featureless rifles, and did not want to register, but wanted to keep our rifles legal, usable, and practical for social use, which we do not feel is the case, as far as the latter goes, with featureless rifles).  We've already presented this on the FAL Files and Calguns, but I thouht it would be good to share with you ARFCOMers as well, since there are FAL owners here from CA.  What do you guys think?  Room for improvement?  Something you don't like? Unsure about something?  What kind of price point is tolerable for a three-component system? Criticisms?  Other questions and comments?

Also, this system may end up being legally viable in other States, such as NY.  I'm waiting to hear back from the NYSP pistol permit section, but it sounds like their current interpretation of NY law for fixed-mag semi-autos is favourable to this system, but ultimately it was designed specifically with CA in mind.

I'm not sure that the rules will allow for this to actually be offered for sale here on ARFCOM, whether in the EE or the forums, if we get to that point, so for that sort of thing/update you might have to check in on Calguns or the FAL Files.  But for now we're still looking for input before we try to offer anything or place orders for manufacture.

Here's a video (not sure if it can be embedded or not) showing how it functions and that the two possible methods for defeating the catch by itself are no longer viable when assembled as a complete system:

https://vimeo.com/264494580
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd definitely be interested in this system. I think that I have at least 2 or three of those DSA 10 round mags and I'm looking for some way to make them Caliban compatible.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, there should be a major announcement in the very near future.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That's exactly what this is. It's a reversible way to fix the magazine according to law and regulations, designed to be used in conjunction with a charger guide top cover to facilitate reloading. The scope mount style like the Tapco and DSA mounts requires no mods. The standard style requires two cuts to be made at the rear of the receiver to accomodate the tabs on the cover, although some receivers do already have them, usually for use with Commonwealth parts kits.

If someone were to examine the FN style charger guide I'm sure they would machine one, in which case they might be able to modify a standard cover by cutting it down and then welding the guide to it. One might be able to do this as well with a para cover (I've seen one that was cut down only, no guide), but I'm not sure about durability over time given the design of the recoil system on paras.

Basically, with this system, the only mod that can't readily be reversed that is necessary is to weld the strip to the magazine body of your choice in order to block the magazine catch pivot screw. Everything else can be removed and replaced with simple tools. Using a standard charger guide top cover also requires the cuts, but this does not adversely affect anything.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The order's been placed for 100 units of the mag catch only and we're looking for enough commitments to maintain the order by the 13th. For more information please follow the link (left cold).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1424640
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd definitely be interested in this system. I think that I have at least 2 or three of those DSA 10 round mags and I'm looking for some way to make them Caliban compatible.
View Quote
Caliban is the name of an ogre, the son of a witch, in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
For Sale - FAL Automatic Locking Magazine Release (FALMR)*Patent Pending

The FAL Locking Magazine Release is a magazine locking device that was designed and conceived so that California based FALs can comply with the provisions of SB880/AB1135 to avoid having their FALs meet the definition of ‘Assault Weapon’ and the subsequent AW registration requirements. It is an effective way to lock a FAL magazine into the receiver of your metric pattern FAL while the action is closed. Once the action is opened the FALMR works to lock and release the magazine just like the standard FAL magazine release.

Advantages of the FALMR:
* A quick drop in compliance solution - installs in under 5 minutes.

* Low-profile design - maintain your FAL’s proper appearance.

* Magazine cannot be inserted when the FAL’s action is closed - may or may not be an issue with the Cal DOJ who knows - a non-issue with this design.

* Quickly and easily return to free state configuration when traveling out of state.

* No alteration to mag-well, no tack welds, no tapping & threading the receiver, no blobs of epoxy or other gimmicks.

* Fastest magazine removal of all Cali compliant FAL fixed magazine options.

* Not your old-fashioned FAL compliance device - can swing the FAL’s action open all the way - bolt removal/clearance is no problem!

Though the FALMR has worked flawlessly in all metric pattern FALs it has been installed in to date, we’re not sure that it is compatible with inch-pattern SLRs, however testing on SLR’s is ongoing.
I recently placed an order of 100 FALMRs with my vendor - a NorCal based manufacturer who also manufactures small machined gun parts for Smith & Wesson and Sig Sauer - and am now ready to offer them for sale here on ARF.com as well as iover on CalGuns and the FAL Files. In order to qualify the quoted cost and for the order to go into production, we need 100 commitments by Wednesday 6/13. I expect a 4-5 week turn around, which out these shipping out in early July.

They are being milled out of 4030 steel and will be furnished with a manganese parkerized finish. The cost is $62 each + $5 shipping. The cost for 2 or more FALMRs is $58 each +$5 combined shipping. Payment will be due by Wednesday 6/20 provided we reach the 100 commitments threshold. Total $67 shipped for one, discreet Paypal. PM me for alternate payment method If you don’t do PayPal.

Though the price may seem costly, there are a few things to consider:
1. There just doesn’t seem to be enough FALs in California to do a much larger run at this time to really try and get the unit cost down.
2. The relative high cost of domestic manufacturing. We've grown accustomed to buying cheap Chinese manufactured parts that are manufactured in the tens of thousands. A small batch of parts produced domestically will cost 3-4 times the cost. This is a California designed and manufactured solution to a California problem.
3. The cost of alternate approaches:

-Featureless - $30-40 for featureless grip + $50 or more for compensator. (can easily be reversed when out of state).

-DSA compliance modification – Silver solder magazine into receiver $250. (not easily reversed).

-Alternate magazine lock - Small blob of weld in mag release channel modification - $60 (not easily reversed).

These 100 FALMRs are the only units currently scheduled to be manufactured and are being rushed out in light of the pending AW registration requirements. Unfortunately, there just aren’t enough FALs in California to do a larger run at this time; however depending on how well this first run goes, additional runs may occur in the future. This is a California designed and manufactured solution to a California problem.

There are 2 additional compliance measures also being developed that will soon be rolled our here as well.

That said - this thread is open for any who are interested to receive one of these nifty devices - as of this posting there are currently 29 commit between Calguns and the FAL Files.

https://vimeo.com/264494580
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Interested. Always wanted to own an FAL
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interested. Always wanted to own an FAL
View Quote
Is there a law in IL that requires a fixed-mag?

There is the possibility of another run of the FALMR itself.  One thing being considered is whether or not the other components should be manufactured (I think they should and are necessary for CA and NY compliance at minimum, but I'm not ther one with the capital).
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has anyone thought about doing just a fixed Mag and then modifying the top cover to accept stripper clips?

I've shot friends FAL's before but never owned one so I don't know if this kind of modification is possible.

Plus it would make it pretty easy for anyone to buy a cover that's been modified and swap it out. If you move out of state or go shooting out of state, you could swap it back and forth.

So, for those of you guys that own FAL's, is this possible to do?
View Quote
I am using a design like that, and have had this for many years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is there a law in IL that requires a fixed-mag?

There is the possibility of another run of the FALMR itself.  One thing being considered is whether or not the other components should be manufactured (I think they should and are necessary for CA and NY compliance at minimum, but I'm not ther one with the capital).
View Quote
I live in CA now. Gotta update profile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top