Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2016 5:05:49 PM EDT
I live and work in the Southside area of Jax. F18s have been flying low and slow (usually in tandem) over my head all day. From what I can tell, they are flying towards NAS Jax. Most are flying with their gear down, which seems abnormal considering they aren't very close to NAS for a landing, yet.

Its been loud all day, which I enjoy . It definitely isn't normal to see this many F18s in my area, though. I see the F15s of the Florida Air National Guard regularly from out of Jax International, but this may be the first time I've noticed F18s.

What's going on? Just some drills? Are F18s even based out of NAS Jax?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember reading last week that the Navy is conducting several days of carrier landing practice at the Cecil/Whitehouse landing strip. Probably are stationed on a carrier which is currently offshore.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I live and work in the Southside area of Jax. F18s have been flying low and slow (usually in tandem) over my head all day. From what I can tell, they are flying towards NAS Jax. Most are flying with their gear down, which seems abnormal considering they aren't very close to NAS for a landing, yet.

Its been loud all day, which I enjoy . It definitely isn't normal to see this many F18s in my area, though. I see the F15s of the Florida Air National Guard regularly from out of Jax International, but this may be the first time I've noticed F18s.

View Quote

If they are doing approaches, they could have their gear down anywhere from 5-10 miles on final.  It wouldn't be abnormal.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember reading last week that the Navy is conducting several days of carrier landing practice at the Cecil/Whitehouse landing strip. Probably are stationed on a carrier which is currently offshore.
View Quote

Ah Cecil. Cool!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not since Cecil Field closed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe just touch & go's for newer guys getting hours,or landing on a CAV off shore. is the SARA still ported near St. Augustine

I always loved parking at the end of the strip at MCAS Beaufort  & watching them come overhead my radar detector would have a melt down
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not since Cecil Field closed.
View Quote

I remember seeing prowlers there once it would make since the new EW F-18s may be there but I don't know that
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Sara (CV-60) is decommissioned, she is in Philly or up in Washington laid up.  Field Carrier Landing Practice, now that Cecil is closed is mostly at Fentress up in Tidewater VA...that is where the Hornets are on the East Coast.  NAS Jax can/does host and also does depot work on Hornets...If the F-18 FRS is qualfiying pilots on the ship, they might have set up a beach det at NAS Jax.  I was mostly a west coast guy, did work up on east coast a few times...only miss some of that after retiring! :)
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
the Navy is doing  games off the coast and using NAS Jax's  to park the A/C involved in the role playing. Yes there still F/A 18 at Cecil Field, these are the one being overhauled here and test flights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top