Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

The c&r license is your ffl, have them shipped directly to you!
View Quote
Cool.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Do we have over all length laws for pistols? I sold my sr25 build a while ago and have been contemplating what to do with my other receiver set. I am considering building a 12.5” pistol just because, but if it’ll be too long and not allowed, I’ll just build a rifle again. Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 3:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#8]
Originally Posted By dutchman84:
Do we have over all length laws for pistols? I sold my sr25 build a while ago and have been contemplating what to do with my other receiver set. I am considering building a 12.5" pistol just because, but if it'll be too long and not allowed, I'll just build a rifle again. Thank you in advance.
View Quote
I don't know of any pistol length issues, but it would need to be preban or registered because the magazine outside the grip makes it an assault pistol according to CT.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the responses guys. Build would be on a pre ban sr-25 receiver set.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the legal status for a 22LR pistol with a thread barrel / compensator attached?  Something like this for example:

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1136

Is this legal for me to purchase ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Would I be able to purchase and transfer a 12.5" AR pistol with no foregrip (so, federally classified as a pistol) and take possession of it legally from an FFL in CT as long as it is not on the specifically named list on the AWB legislation?  The lower would be designated a pistol, and federally it would be a pistol, but the OAL would be over 26", it would have no stock, and over 12" barrel so it would still fall into the "other" catagory in CT.  What is stopping people from doing that right now?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
if it transfers over on the DPS form as a "pistol" it is illegal.  on the transfer paperwork, it needs to say "other" for that to be legal. pistols rifles and shotguns are banned and are classified as an AW. not others.

im not sure on an FFL changing the status of the "pistol" to an "other", but someone will be along to answer that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
DPS form is federal correct?  So if a fully built 12.5" AR pistol is sold and transfered to me listed as DPS on a federal form, it still would not be a pistol in CT because its over 12" in length.

On that same note, why are stripped virgin lowers illegal in CT still if you can simply build it straight into one of these 26"+ OAL, 12"+ no stock "others."?  A stripped lower is classified on the DPS form as other, and then you can build your own straight into a CT legal firearm.  It would be the same approach as building your own 80% lower into one of these configurations, no?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
on the DPS-3-C, if it is transferred as a PISTOL it is ILLEGAL.

and technically, the stripped lower statement is correct.  go find a gunshop that will transfer on, and let us know which one did it!
some 22lr marked stripped milspec lowers have been transferred in the past.

im not a lawyer, im not a FFL, but im pretty familiar with the laws in this state.

that "pistol" your looking at, needs to be turned into an "other" by the FFL.  im not sure what that entails, im sure its possible, as pistols can go to a rifle, but for a pistol to go to an other, imo, is going BACKWARDS. it can only go forward. as a rifle CANNOT turn into a pistol.

again, someone will clear this up.  talk to your FFL, they should know if they can turn a pistol into an other legally on paper.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SporksAreACompromise] [#17]
ok sounds good, thanks for the reply.  I suppose the whole idea behind these troy others and FM14's is they started out brand new as an "other" sold in CT.  I guess the catch is they need to be not a pistol both federally and locally (ct).

Seems like I should have no problem building an 80% lower directly into an "other", but I will continue to research.

EDIT:  I see Stag Arms 22lr marked stripped receivers are listed specifically as not allowed for sale in CT.  Are any places still selling stripped 22lr milspec receivers?  That could theoretically be used to build your own CT legal "other" as it would be transferred as an other on the DPS form initially right?  stag arms stripped 22lr receiver
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt Sporter Match HBAR preban

I know Colt Sporter is on the specifically named list, but is the match hbar different enough?

If an FFL will do the transfer am I good to go?
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SporksAreACompromise:
Colt Sporter Match HBAR preban

I know Colt Sporter is on the specifically named list, but is the match hbar different enough?

If an FFL will do the transfer am I good to go?
View Quote
Yes- GTG
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#20]
If I’m reading this correctly...
This is completely legal-
https://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-TH-ANNIVERSARY-RIFLES/1856597.uts

Because the allowable 1 evil feature is the threaded barrel/flash hider.
Is that still accurate?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Currently living out of state while in the military, but i was planning on moving back once I get out, so I assume I won’t be able to bring my ar’s with me? How does this “other” work? Basically an ar with no stock, and a vertical forward grip, the barrel has to be 12.5 inches? Or it just has to be greather than 12? Can I convert an existing rifle into one or does it have to start life as an “other” stripped lower? How is it different than aow?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pedorrero79] [#22]
Originally Posted By zpelletier:
Currently living out of state while in the military, but i was planning on moving back once I get out, so I assume I won’t be able to bring my ar’s with me? How does this “other” work? Basically an ar with no stock, and a vertical forward grip, the barrel has to be 12.5 inches? Or it just has to be greather than 12? Can I convert an existing rifle into one or does it have to start life as an “other” stripped lower? How is it different than aow?
View Quote
Judging from what I saw this weekend at a place with little to no parking, as long as the barrel is >12" and doesn't have a "shoulder stock", it's a CT legal "other". Converting your existing rifles to "others" would, I believe, be a violation of federal law.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Move back while you're still in and load up with mags and other shit. Then get out and you have 90 days to register it
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Leon82:
Move back while you're still in and load up with mags and other shit. Then get out and you have 90 days to register it
View Quote
Does that still apply if I just “move back” or does it have to be moving into the state on military orders?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Does that still apply if I just “move back” or does it have to be moving into the state on military orders?
View Quote
You would have to be active military while a resident for that scenario to work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

You would have to be active military while a resident for that scenario to work.
View Quote
I get that I would still have to be active, but does it matter if I’m moving into CT on military orders or of my own choice?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#27]

I get that I would still have to be active, but does it matter if I’m moving into CT on military orders or of my own choice?
View Quote
i believe you just have to be active. once you move here and still active you will be able to register your AR type firearms once discharged.  you can register them as soon as you want but certainly not needed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing so, but just out of curiosity, WHY would you even consider moving back here?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]

i believe you just have to be active. once you move here and still active you will be able to register your AR type firearms once discharged.  you can register them as soon as you want but certainly not needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Okay thanks, it’s changed a bunch since I left.

Originally Posted By pedorrero79:

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing so, but just out of curiosity, WHY would you even consider moving back here?
Mostly because that’s where both mine and my wife’s entire family is, I like New England in general, I enjoy four seasons and what not, I would prefer somewhere like Maine or New Hampshire if it wasn’t for literally every single family member being in CT.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Is there any CT laws pertaining to use of pistol braces? either restricting them or specifically having reference to their use....  primarily in regards to  the use of them on an "other" or "firearm"?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 17:
Is there any CT laws pertaining to use of pistol braces? either restricting them or specifically having reference to their use....  primarily in regards to  the use of them on an "other" or "firearm"?
View Quote
I don't believe so. Shops are selling others with braces on them. They probably ship with only a tube to keep cost down or so someone can pick their own
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#32]
i have not been able to find any statutes pertaining to the use of a brace anywhere in CT.... but I have had it questioned by LE. just wanted to make sure that I was correct. the individual could not site an actual statute so I figured he was full of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm having an "other" built by a local shop that recently got the good to go letter from CSP. According to them the firearm needs to be sold with a vertical foregrip ala broom stick. He's not aware of any requirement for me to keep it on after the sale as I would much prefer a BCM KAG. I cant find any info on the topic, google hasn't been much help. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve spoke to 3 different shops.
Here’s the consensus between them in the form of requirements:
-Barrel 12” or longer
-pistol tube or legal brace
-any vfg, qd or not
-OAL of 26” or longer

One open question for me is a 12” barrel OK?  I see “longer than 12” but is barrel that’s exactly 12 a pistol or not?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kennedyusmc:
I’ve spoke to 3 different shops.
Here’s the consensus between them in the form of requirements:
-Barrel 12” or longer
-pistol tube or legal brace
-any vfg, qd or not
-OAL of 26” or longer

One open question for me is a 12” barrel OK?  I see “longer than 12” but is barrel that’s exactly 12 a pistol or not?
View Quote
Stick a rod down the tube up to the bolt face. Maybe it's 12.01.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the reply, and you have a good question as well. I was told "over 12" and 12.5 is the shortest they would go. Then I noticed the dps3 says 13. I need to actually measure it for myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#37]
12.75 on the nose mine measured. No help there I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

Brain buster thought, but since the ATF views it as an "other" because it is designed to be fired with 2 hands and is therefore not a pistol, are you redesigning it into a pistol when you remove the forward grip because it is now no longer configured to be fired with 2 hands?

This could make it into an AW under CT law because of the "pistol + detachable mag outside the pistol grip" clause.
View Quote
Simple solution: put a 2nd vertical foregrip on it before you take the first one off. Or keep both of them on for more grip zone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, the idea was to use an angled foregrip instead of the knights armament style broom stick. To be on the safe side I went with a stubby vertical grip instead of the angled KAG.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Is it legal to carry a pre ban or registered pistol with a threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By icecoast:
Is it legal to carry a pre ban or registered pistol with a threaded barrel?
View Quote
No, this is why some people registered the barrel so they could take it out and carry it
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#43]
My LGS is selling them like hotcakes with 12.5" bbls and SB3 adjustable braces.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Curious about the new black aces semi auto 12GA 14" "shockwave" style firearms. My shop just got a bunch in.. are they legal to put a mossberg pistol grip and brace on? Pistol grip and semi auto are the two features for a shotgun so I would think it would be good to go since the adjustable brace isnt a stock and has a 3+1 tube.

BUT.... its not registered as a shotgun, its registered as a firearm. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a question.

My AR is registered It's 5.56 & 16in.  Can I change the caliber,  barrel length (non nfa)?  Do I need to contact the state?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 7:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#46]
Originally Posted By psegnatelli:
I have a question.

My AR is registered It's 5.56 & 16in.  Can I change the caliber,  barrel length (non nfa)?  Do I need to contact the state?
View Quote
No. I'm not aware of a single, non-NFA, requirement regarding this.
Even for an SBR, the ATF doesn't require a caliber change when swapping upper receivers (specifically and especially regarding ARs).
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#47]
So I am looking into building something a little different but not sure if I can. I am also prepared to take any and all flack.
I want to do a G43 with a compensator. The plan necessitates a threaded barrel which gets murky to me. If I were to semi permanent attach the comp with say red loctite and set screw so that it would require tools to disassemble, would that be legal to have and carry? I think I remember back when we couldn’t have threaded barrels on our ARs that there was consensus due to wording that if you needed tools to get the comp off you were good to go. I suck at leagalese so I am not sure how stable the ground is on this one. Anyone better than me at this stuff have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
What if, and this is a biiiig what if. What if the threads identified as a knurl? Would that change anything?
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top