Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exajoule] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

What DESPP/SLFU is doing is making an interpretation/opinion based on their view of what defines the "action of the weapon" in relation to the "any grip of the weapon..." language. It can and will be argued that the "palm swell" grip on a Mini-14 is not below the "action of the weapon". However on most AR-15's one's hands would still be below the "action of the weapon" even if one used a palm swell style stock on an AR-15 (the fuggly CA legal stocks discussed elsewhere here).

(i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:
(II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;

(3) "Action of the weapon" means the part of the firearm that loads, fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to, the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist, magazine release and shell deflector;

A strict interpretation/opinion of (II) above could mean many if not most semiautomatic centerfirer rifles would be banned. DEPP/SLFU by making the "palm swell" interpretation/opinion won't anger the FUDD's who's guns would be ensnared by such a strict interpretation/opinion, and who sat out the fight on SB 1160 since they assumed their guns would not be affected.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exajoule:
DESPP seems to be ignoring the whole "any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger..." clause, which is fine with me. But we should remember that DESPP's interpretation is just an enforcement policy - it's not the law. Their interpretation can be changed at any time without notice if they suddenly decide they want to start arresting people who have palm swell grips on their rifles. I suspect a court would find that any Mini-14 is an assault weapon in CT based on the way the law is written.

What DESPP/SLFU is doing is making an interpretation/opinion based on their view of what defines the "action of the weapon" in relation to the "any grip of the weapon..." language. It can and will be argued that the "palm swell" grip on a Mini-14 is not below the "action of the weapon". However on most AR-15's one's hands would still be below the "action of the weapon" even if one used a palm swell style stock on an AR-15 (the fuggly CA legal stocks discussed elsewhere here).

(i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:
(II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;

(3) "Action of the weapon" means the part of the firearm that loads, fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to, the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist, magazine release and shell deflector;

A strict interpretation/opinion of (II) above could mean many if not most semiautomatic centerfirer rifles would be banned. DEPP/SLFU by making the "palm swell" interpretation/opinion won't anger the FUDD's who's guns would be ensnared by such a strict interpretation/opinion, and who sat out the fight on SB 1160 since they assumed their guns would not be affected.

A gun can be fired in many positions and at many angles, and for any given gun there are going to be some positions in which the fingers on the trigger hand are below the action of the firearm and other positions in which they are not. It isn't immediately obvious to me how a court would interpret some of these things.

I'm not trying to offer my own interpretation... I just wanted to point out that it's wrong for a person to assume that the handgrip on their gun is 100% guaranteed to be legal and that they will never face arrest just because they have a palm-swell type grip. That's not what the law says. It's just what DESPP's current opinion is. Their opinion could change at any time, for any reason, and without notice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It was also my understanding that the "palm swell" style grip was not being considered a pistol grip. I think the only thing the PS90 has going against it is overall length (under 30"), and as far as I understand it, the length is just an immediate "AW" classification (not even part of the evil parts list).

I was just wondering if anyone had heard differently. Maybe add a stock extension or something ?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You could pin a fake silencer
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#4]
Originally Posted By TheSpillmonkey:
It was also my understanding that the "palm swell" style grip was not being considered a pistol grip. I think the only thing the PS90 has going against it is overall length (under 30"), and as far as I understand it, the length is just an immediate "AW" classification (not even part of the evil parts list).

I was just wondering if anyone had heard differently. Maybe add a stock extension or something ?
View Quote

That's correct. See the SLFU FAQ for confirmation that in SLFU's opinion the "palm swell" grip does not constitute an 'evil feature'.

11. Q: I have a rifle which is a semi-automatic center fire and has a curved portion of the stock directly behind the trigger guard which extends very slightly below it. It has none of the other banned features. Is this stock considered a pistol grip which would require me to register it as an assault weapon?
A: No. The type of stock you are describing is considered a “palm swell” and not a pistol grip. However, if the stock has a thumb hole, it qualifies as an assault weapon and must be registered by January 1, 2014.

On the length of the semiautomatic centerfire rifle, once you get it over 30 inches one then has to contend with the features list. To get it over the 30 inches one can expand the length of the stock using extensions (so long as the stock isn't collapsible), if the stock supports using extensions, or use some form of a barrel extension or muzzle device (like a fake non flash hider can/silencer). One problem with the PS90 once you get it over 30 inches in overall length, is its stock. It's not a 'palm swell', and it might (probably?) be viewed as a 'thumb hole' stock which is specifically mentioned as being a banned feature. If the PS90 was available in in a "preban" version then the length limit and evil feature count would apply.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:31:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#6]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

ATF says the official determination of overall length is the distance measured from the furthest point on the fully extended stock of the rifle all the way to the muzzle. If you have a removable muzzle device it must be removed to check overall length.  Overall length is not determined by a collapsible stock in "closed" position.

FYI:
An AR-15 with a 12.0"30 LaRue barrel & Magpul CTR stock has an overall length from butt to muzzle of appx 30.75" with the stock fully extended.

It should be fairly simple to do the math from there, and add a pad to the butt if need be.  It's not as if it is a big deal to collapse the stock 1 or 2 holes shorter to find your comfort zone again
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheSpillmonkey:

That's correct. See the SLFU FAQ for confirmation that in SLFU's opinion the "palm swell" grip does not constitute an 'evil feature'.

11. Q: I have a rifle which is a semi-automatic center fire and has a curved portion of the stock directly behind the trigger guard which extends very slightly below it. It has none of the other banned features. Is this stock considered a pistol grip which would require me to register it as an assault weapon?
A: No. The type of stock you are describing is considered a “palm swell” and not a pistol grip. However, if the stock has a thumb hole, it qualifies as an assault weapon and must be registered by January 1, 2014.

On the length of the semiautomatic centerfire rifle, once you get it over 30 inches one then has to contend with the features list. To get it over the 30 inches one can expand the length of the stock using extensions (so long as the stock isn't collapsible), if the stock supports using extensions, or use some form of a barrel extension or muzzle device (like a fake non flash hider can/silencer). One problem with the PS90 once you get it over 30 inches in overall length, is its stock. It's not a 'palm swell', and it might (probably?) be viewed as a 'thumb hole' stock which is specifically mentioned as being a banned feature. If the PS90 was available in in a "preban" version then the length limit and evil feature count would apply.

ATF says the official determination of overall length is the distance measured from the furthest point on the fully extended stock of the rifle all the way to the muzzle. If you have a removable muzzle device it must be removed to check overall length.  Overall length is not determined by a collapsible stock in "closed" position.

FYI:
An AR-15 with a 12.0"30 LaRue barrel & Magpul CTR stock has an overall length from butt to muzzle of appx 30.75" with the stock fully extended.

It should be fairly simple to do the math from there, and add a pad to the butt if need be.  It's not as if it is a big deal to collapse the stock 1 or 2 holes shorter to find your comfort zone again

It doesn't matter if the stock is extended or not on post ban's because the collapsible stock is an evil feature. They'd probably have to pin the stock and make sure its pinned in such a fashion so the overall rifle length is over 30 inches since the state doesn't define how one measures the length other than to say "overall length". Will not be surprised if the state deals with the over all length differently than the ATF, shades of how the state deals with pistols vs rifles. In the case of the PS90 that my post was referencing/alluding to, it appears the stock is fixed so the only way to length it is to add pads (if it accepts pads). Or if it doesn't take pads, pin a muzzle device on the barrel that extends the length beyond the 30 inches.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jasonusvi] [#8]
Any issue with adding an extender to a declared LCM?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I see at the beginning of the thread it reads pre 1994 guns are ok to transfer to CT? Is this still the case ? Is there a upcoming date that will change this ?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Easy_E:

I see at the beginning of the thread it reads pre 1994 guns are ok to transfer to CT? Is this still the case ? Is there a upcoming date that will change this ?
View Quote

Yes, good to go. As far as a new date or laws all bets are off. So if you have some preban stuff to sell now is a good time.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]

That is correct, and has been that way since 2001. No cutoff date for transfers at this point, provided the firearm wa made prior to 9/13/1994
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easy_E:

That is correct, and has been that way since 2001. No cutoff date for transfers at this point, provided the firearm wa made prior to 9/13/1994

Thank you guys !! Keep up the good fight !
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:12:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#14]

http://youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64
View All Quotes

http://youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64

The only time you cannot use an extender is on a LCM that is within a handgun that you carry in public, IF that extender extends beyond 1 inch from the pistol grip. The law indicates that one isn't' supposed to use a LCM in a handgun carried in public that extends beyond 1 inch from the pistol grip. The relevant portion of law that indicates this:

Sec. 53-202x. Declaration of possession of large capacity magazine. Regulations.
(f) Any person who declared possession of a large capacity magazine under this section may possess the large capacity magazine only under the following conditions:
(7) Pursuant to a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, provided such large capacity magazine (A) is within a pistol or revolver that was lawfully possessed by the person prior to April 5, 2013, (B) does not extend more than one inch below the bottom of the pistol grip, and (C) contains not more than ten bullets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I figured instead of starting a new thread you guys probably see quite abit of  id ask in this one as the topic is brought up

I read that pre-94  AR15's are legal to own
then I read that pre-94's are legal as long as they arent named
colt and colt sporter are both named
then I read that weapons produced in ct are exempt
colt is produced in ct

I have a complete 86 colt sporter II Im tossing around the idea of selling since im a lefty and it lacks a shell deflector.Would this be legal to sell to a ct resident even though its named? The laws are extremely confusing to me since im from florida.From what Ive read it seems it would be fine? its pre 94 and made instate but its named lol

Obviously I dont want to sell and ship something just to have it lead me to legal trouble.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:42:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#17]

The current interpretation of the law by the State Police (who issue transfer authorization numbers) is that any and all pre-Sept 1994 firearms are 100% transferable (provided, of course, that they do not include a large capacity magazine).

Not all dealers are comfortable doing a transfer on this firearm but some of them are. It would be up to the buyer to make sure they have a way to receive the rifle (or buy it from you in person through an FFL down in FL)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By O3scgt:
I figured instead of starting a new thread you guys probably see quite abit of  id ask in this one as the topic is brought up

I read that pre-94  AR15's are legal to own
then I read that pre-94's are legal as long as they arent named
colt and colt sporter are both named
then I read that weapons produced in ct are exempt
colt is produced in ct

I have a complete 86 colt sporter II Im tossing around the idea of selling since im a lefty and it lacks a shell deflector.Would this be legal to sell to a ct resident even though its named? The laws are extremely confusing to me since im from florida.From what Ive read it seems it would be fine? its pre 94 and made instate but its named lol

Obviously I dont want to sell and ship something just to have it lead me to legal trouble.

The current interpretation of the law by the State Police (who issue transfer authorization numbers) is that any and all pre-Sept 1994 firearms are 100% transferable (provided, of course, that they do not include a large capacity magazine).

Not all dealers are comfortable doing a transfer on this firearm but some of them are. It would be up to the buyer to make sure they have a way to receive the rifle (or buy it from you in person through an FFL down in FL)

I appreciate the info
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ga41] [#18]
God help me, but my wife has found us both jobs that would have living in CT.....I have so many neat toys that would have to stay in the south including SBR and suppressors....Is my cool 10-22 even legal with no fancy evil stock ? revolvers ? 1911 ? . Reloading components ? post ar's are verbotten as best i can tell even with 10 rd mags ?

I'm looking everywhere and anywhere to find work somewhere in the south, so I haven't given up yet, but she keeps saying 200k for 3-5 years and we leave...if the south hasn't locked the borders by then
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:47:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
what about proof of ownership such as a receipt to prove ownership ? Do I have to have one for each item ? Of course all the cool toys are post 94 so no need to bring the suppressors etc anyway.... Still holding out hope even though the CT guys seem to be great guys
thanks for the help
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toadyrock] [#22]
Selling an assault weapon out of state.. In the past I would just ship to the buyers FFL but with the new laws thinking I'll go through a local gunshop.

Update: FFL transfer out and taking care of everything with the state.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I am looking for some clarity. I have read through this thread and looked at many others. Maybe I am just missing it, But here is my question:

I have Colt AR15 Match Target (MT6400C) that I bought new in 2012. It was made earlier that year. In compliance with the new law, I registered the weapon in December 2013 and I received my Assault Weapon Certificate in January 2014.

Now that it is a registered assault weapon:

1. can I replace the pinned fixed stock with a collapsable stock?
2. can I put a flash hider on it?
3. can I install a forward vertical grip?

If there is a thread on this already, please share the link.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CTPete:
I am looking for some clarity. I have read through this thread and looked at many others. Maybe I am just missing it, But here is my question:

I have Colt AR15 Match Target (MT6400C) that I bought new in 2012. It was made earlier that year. In compliance with the new law, I registered the weapon in December 2013 and I received my Assault Weapon Certificate in January 2014.

Thanks.
View Quote

can do anything you want, as long as you dont violate NFA laws
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CTPete:

Thanks.
View Quote

You got your certain back a month later?

I'm still waiting on mine
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#26]
If an out-of-state party has a preban PWA Commando in the 23XXX range that was assembled in 1992, however no records are available, would that be legal for a CT resident to purchase/own?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Can anyone tell me if the RWC Group IZ132 Saiga Rifle 10+1 7.62x39mm 16 is illegal to own in Connecticut?  The Saiga autoloading rifle is based on the rugged Kalashnikov design. In the Saiga line of rifles, this timeless design utilizes a proven gas piston system, rotary bolt, and very few internal parts that provide the reliability that Izhmash has delivered for over 60 years. A hammer forged, chrome lined barrel and chamber provide the ultimate in long life. The driftable post front sight with protective ears is adjustable for windage and elevation. The notched side catch with bar rear leaf sight is adjustable for elevation. The rear sight has presets for 109, 218, & 328 yards. The comfortable, ergonomic operating handle makes charging the firearm effortless. The spring loaded magazine release provides for quick magazine changes. The elongated selector handle allows for a smooth transition from safe to semi-auto.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jtedder1967:
Can anyone tell me if the RWC Group IZ132 Saiga Rifle 10+1 7.62x39mm 16 is illegal to own in Connecticut?  The Saiga autoloading rifle is based on the rugged Kalashnikov design. In the Saiga line of rifles, this timeless design utilizes a proven gas piston system, rotary bolt, and very few internal parts that provide the reliability that Izhmash has delivered for over 60 years. A hammer forged, chrome lined barrel and chamber provide the ultimate in long life. The driftable post front sight with protective ears is adjustable for windage and elevation. The notched side catch with bar rear leaf sight is adjustable for elevation. The rear sight has presets for 109, 218, & 328 yards. The comfortable, ergonomic operating handle makes charging the firearm effortless. The spring loaded magazine release provides for quick magazine changes. The elongated selector handle allows for a smooth transition from safe to semi-auto.  Thanks for any help.
View Quote

What agency do you work for?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#30]
None I just moved here from Michigan about three month's ago and was online today looking at BudsGun Shop and that had one listed for sale.  When I checked the banned listed it said that the Saiga AK47 are banned but nothing to list this and trying to call the state to get any help in like F#@ting in the wind.  Any help would be great just found this site and looking forward to good talks in the future.  I hope this is the right forum to ask this question.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jtedder1967:
None I just moved here from Michigan about three month's ago and was online today looking at BudsGun Shop and that had one listed for sale.  When I checked the banned listed it said that the Saiga AK47 are banned but nothing to list this and trying to call the state to get any help in like F#@ting in the wind.  Any help would be great just found this site and looking forward to good talks in the future.  I hope this is the right forum to ask this question.  Thanks.
View Quote

some shops are transferring them in

i believe a shop in wallingford is, but i know its not delta, well last time i checked they werent doing it
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks I have no clue on either to buy it or not.  The state can't give me a decent answer if it is legal what a state.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Under the new law, can registered AW be passed on in a will or transferred to a trust?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JohnsMyName:
Under the new law, can registered AW be passed on in a will or transferred to a trust?

View Quote

Can I get a Certificate of Possession for my Assault Weapon now?

Yes. You may apply for an Assault Weapon Certificate by December 31, 2013 for those firearms listed in Public Act 13-3 as amended by Public Act 13-220.  The only exceptions to this would be a person who has been out of state serving in the military since October 1994, or a person who receives an Assault Weapon through bequeath or intestate succession providing the weapon already had a certificate. In these instances, the person has 90 days to register the weapon with the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By User55645:

Yes. You may apply for an Assault Weapon Certificate by December 31, 2013 for those firearms listed in Public Act 13-3 as amended by Public Act 13-220.  The only exceptions to this would be a person who has been out of state serving in the military since October 1994, or a person who receives an Assault Weapon through bequeath or intestate succession providing the weapon already had a certificate. In these instances, the person has 90 days to register the weapon with the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.
View All Quotes

What about transferring into a trust?

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

as of now, NO. it would have had to been a trust prior to 4/4
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By firepolock:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By firepolock:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#38]
whats the deal with 80% lowers in our state? I cant seem to find any laws about them or the process of taking it to 100% on your own
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:42:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#39]
Is it legal for a Connecticut resident to receive the rifle that appears below?

A few key points:
1. This rifle was assembled as a COMPLETE RIFLE by Olympic Arms in 1990. The manufacture date of the receiver is verified on the Olympic Arms website.
2. I purchased the assembled rifle in 1990 and have been continuously in possession of it since 1990.
3. The rifle was originally equipped with an upper in "6mm x 223," as noted on the sales receipt. This 6mm upper was equipped with a flash-hider, and bayonet lug.
4. The more correct designation of the caliber should have been 6mm x 45 (simply a 5.56 NATO case "necked-up" to 6mm).
5. I sold-off the 6mm upper, and I installed a complete 5.56 NATO upper in its place.
6. I am a Virginia resident.
7. Transfer would be through a Connecticut FFL.
8. The paper receipt that appears below would be provided to the new owner in Connecticut.

I believe it is legal to transfer under the pre-September 13, 1994 of the current law.
Specifically http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

The "subsection m" language is the key to this, as it appears to be the language which makes this gun legal to transfer to CT.
(this language copied today directly from the ct.gov website)
Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
View Quote

See also this focused document on the ct.gov website: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/pre-ban_assault_weapons.pdf

So, the best I can interpret all this, I think I can transfer this rifle in its current configuration to a buyer in CT.

Anybody care to comment?... agree?... disagree?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#40]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Is this rifle also exempt from registration due to its age?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Is this rifle also exempt from registration due to its age?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

You're GTG just purchase it already and enjoy your unregistered AW

Another black rifle comes to CT FDM!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Ishpore enfields legal?

I'm on a C&R kick and 7.62 NATO is a lot cheaper than that silly British round.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Its been asked several times now, and seems to be being avoided. But I'm going to ask again anyway.
80% lowers? Can we still build and own them?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TacoDaTugBoat:
Its been asked several times now, and seems to be being avoided. But I'm going to ask again anyway.
View Quote

Only if you also have a time machine. So, no, you can't.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:01:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#47]

Originally Posted By TacoDaTugBoat:

View Quote

80% lowers needed to be given some sort of serial number/identifying mark and registered prior to 12/31/13. Technically they needed to be completely machined prior to 4/04/13 when the ban took effect. Any 80% lower is still not a gun and not illegal, but if you make any steps from there towards finishing it, it will become illegal.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#48]
If I were to purchase a pre-ban AR from a local shop in CT, what changes/modifications can be made (if any) and still remain legal?

-Replace stock with collapsible stock?
-Rechamber?
-SBR?
-Suppressor?
-replacing/repairing action?
-Updating lower? (pretty sure this is a no)

Totally new, so thanks for understanding.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ganoman21:
If I were to purchase a pre-ban AR from a local shop in CT, what changes/modifications can be made (if any) and still remain legal?

-Replace stock with collapsible stock? No problem
-Rechamber? You mean like a different caliber upper? If so, no problem.
-SBR? May be a problem. I think the jury's still out on that at BATFarts.
-Suppressor? No problem, this is treated differently than a rifle.
-replacing/repairing action? You talking a new trigger group or lower parts kit? Shouldn't be a problem.
-Updating lower? (pretty sure this is a no) Pretty sure I don't know what you mean by that.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By pedorrero79:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pedorrero79:
Originally Posted By ganoman21:

-Replace stock with collapsible stock? No problem
-Rechamber? You mean like a different caliber upper? If so, no problem.
-SBR? May be a problem. I think the jury's still out on that at BATFarts.
-Suppressor? No problem, this is treated differently than a rifle.
-replacing/repairing action? You talking a new trigger group or lower parts kit? Shouldn't be a problem.
-Updating lower? (pretty sure this is a no) Pretty sure I don't know what you mean by that.

Thanks for the fast reply!  So for the lower, I meant replacing it with a polymer lower receiver, but since that's the part of the rifle that's registered, I guess that would be a no-no since it would now have the manufacture date of the new lower receiver, and subject to new CT regs.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top