[#1]
Damn... Is that even fixable?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn... Is that even fixable?
View Quote

That's my question.  After the labor involved is it cheaper for the customer to get a new stripped lower?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
" The guy wasn't too familiar with ARs"  would seem to be an understatement.

Certainly hope that's not a registered receiver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Doh!

Guess i can't say too much.  I'm the king of over tightening and have even been known to install things upside down

What kind of lower is that with the built in QD sling attachment?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Doh!

Guess i can't say too much.  I'm the king of over tightening and have even been known to install things upside down

View Quote

I know SIg does that....I wouldnt be surprised if there are others.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a set screw retaining the spring? Seems to me that the only thing that can bind the detent plunger up that bad is having the spring coils near or fully collapsed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a set screw retaining the spring? Seems to me that the only thing that can bind the detent plunger up that bad is having the spring coils near or fully collapsed.
View Quote

Doesn't sound like it was bound up. He simply couldn't get the pin ALL the way out
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doh!

Knights Armament does as well... Man I hope that noob didn't just wreck a $700 lower...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This one was a Sig.  We fixed by laser welding up the receiver and then cleaning up the hole on the mill.  A new takedown pin and detent and it was good as new.
View Quote

Amazing fix!

Was this one of the Walmart Christmas specials bought during the rush?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Newbs.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
WoW

I know there's a hammer joke here somewhere
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WoW

I know there's a hammer joke here somewhere
View Quote

Well without a doubt a hammer was involved.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought and old Sendra lower years ago someone had busted the inside of the lower out at the safety detent trying to drive the selector out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bought and old Sendra lower years ago someone had busted the inside of the lower out at the safety detent trying to drive the selector out.
View Quote

Tell me You were able to fix it and get it back to spec!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not sure I would want to be around that person when they have that AR on the range. Could be a accident waiting to happen. They need a SERIOUS lesson about firearms. That person should not even own a AR.

Book, I hope you have a serious conversation with whom ever owns that weapon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, after seeing how old M16s were treated by new soldiers I'd imagine quite a bit of effort was put into that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow, after seeing how old M16s were treated by new soldiers I'd imagine quite a bit of effort was put into that.
View Quote

While I was in basic training at Ft Jackson I watched a guy unscrew a carbine buffer tube...castle nut and all from his M4 lower receiver. It stripped out the entire buffer tube.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
While I was in basic training at Ft Jackson I watched a guy unscrew a carbine buffer tube...castle nut and all from his M4 lower receiver. It stripped out the entire buffer tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why Big Army is so negative on even basic modifications of the weapons by troops...  Anything beyond field-stripping is reserved for trained personnel (and even then, most real repairs go to a depot).

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worst part was I never noticed it taking it apart and paid US Anodizing to refinish it.  Found the breakout after it came back. I still have it. I just epoxied a shim metal wall in the rear pocket and filled. Works fine since the pressure on the selector detent is to the front and back when you use it and the aluminum was mostly good in those directions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Worst part was I never noticed it taking it apart and paid US Anodizing to refinish it.  Found the breakout after it came back. I still have it. I just epoxied a shim metal wall in the rear pocket and filled. Works fine since the pressure on the selector detent is to the front and back when you use it and the aluminum was mostly good in those directions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like you need to send it to AO and get it fixed right!  I didn't even know you could do that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Its just a lower. Not worth putting any money into it. Not even sure why I had it and the other lowers anodized again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Its just a lower. Not worth putting any money into it. Not even sure why I had it and the other lowers anodized again.
View Quote

I have a question about that, I have an 80% lower that's already been anodized, will it be a problem having it anodized again after I complete it?  I like the original color (a variation of FDE), so would prefer to keep it...

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a question about that, I have an 80% lower that's already been anodized, will it be a problem having it anodized again after I complete it?  I like the original color (a variation of FDE), so would prefer to keep it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is that everything is stripped off first, including the color, and then it is reanodized and colored.  So if the anodizer doesn't have that color, then you are out of luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:39:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This one was a Sig.  We fixed by laser welding up the receiver and then cleaning up the hole on the mill.  A new takedown pin and detent and it was good as new.
View Quote

Where are you located......and can you tell me who did the laser welding...I have a little prototype job I could use some assistance on
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#28]
That is a nice repair.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Manuals...what are those things for?

Saw this on your website the other day. I thought I had done some dumb things. I feel so much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top