Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/19/2013 4:44:37 PM EDT
I've been on the hunt for this stuff for the past couple of weeks. I know that the BP at Alum Creek sells it, supposedly. Although I've never personally checked or tested. It's what I want to run in my $1k Yamaha inverter generator, and my mower.

I went online and began reading about Shell V-Power 93 being ethanol free up North in Canada. However, I couldn't find anything about V-Power in the states, so I decided to test it on my own using the graduated cylinder method. I made sure that the line was purged of whatever octane fuel by pumping a gallon into my truck, and then filling up my gas can. I suggest you do the same before filling up your gas cans, and as always, check the fuel periodically yourself to ensure that it's still ethanol free. It only takes 5 minutes.

Success!

It's been 3 hours, well beyond what is necessary, and the water level hasn't changed. I know it isn't scientific, but this is better than blindly assuming that whatever station you're buying from is ethanol free, just because there's a sticker on it.

True North Shell - SHELL
1955 Polaris Parkway, Columbus OH
614-885-2240

I've never had issues using E-10 blended fuels in the past, and my mower starts up every time. But, I enjoy finding solutions to non-problems.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
wow good to know!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
How does this test work for the graduated cylinder method ?

I'm going to fill up my Rotax motorcycle engine at Shell on Polaris this weekend.

Mallory fuel tester
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does this test work for the graduated cylinder method ?

I'm going to fill up my Rotax motorcycle engine at Shell on Polaris this weekend.

Mallory fuel tester

They make a test cylinder specifically to measure the ethanol content. You fill the water up to a line, then fill the rest with the gasoline you want to test. You shake it up, wait 5 mins. If the water line goes above your initial water fill line, you've got ethanol that has bonded with the water.

I've seen some that measure actual ethanol percentage purely based on how high the water level climbs.

You can try it for yourself and see. I was just tired of hearsay and wanted to verify myself.

edit: I just noticed you posted the exact same thing I was describing.

Also, there are two Shell stations on Polaris. I DID NOT do my sampling from the Shell Station in front of Quaker Steak and Lube. I went to the one across I-71.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is the exact test Rotax was having experimental aircraft owners do back in the early 90's when ethanol was starting to show up in fuel.  The ethanol played HELL with the carb boots and other rubber pieces and seals, still does with most small engines.  My brothers new Sthil had to have a new crank seal at about 10 hrs due to E-10.  I have it delivered in bulk from a local supplier.  

Ethanol SUCKS!

I'm assuming that's what killed my Craftsman leaf blower. I used it one season, and put it away. Tried to use it the next season, and the damn thing won't stay running unless I keep it throttled at least 25%.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't it be ethanol free unless there's that sign that says "May contain up to 10% ethanol" ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be ethanol free unless there's that sign that says "May contain up to 10% ethanol" ?

No, the websites I've checked says Ohio is a state that doesn't require posting. Even if a sign says ethanol free, should probably still test it for yourself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
There is an iPhone app (free) that is called Pure Gas, another called Ethanol Free. The Alum Creek State Park Marina shows up, but the Polaris Shell does not. I do not know how valid the app is.

I haven't been able to find an ethanol free station close to Cincinnati.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is an iPhone app (free) that is called Pure Gas, another called Ethanol Free. The Alum Creek State Park Marina shows up, but the Polaris Shell does not. I do not know how valid the app is.

I haven't been able to find an ethanol free station close to Cincinnati.

The Pure Gas website is really dated, and none of those stations are really convenient. I updated the listing for OH on the Pure Gas website to include the Shell station I went to. Honestly, your best bet is to visit a Shell station, get a gallon a V-power, and test it yourself. It's more than likely from the same terminal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
BG has a fuel test kit, all the Hyundai dealers have it as service tool.

Marked test tube, add water to line, add gasoline, cork it, shake, wait couple minute to settle, look at alcohol content via the marked lines.   Typically see 8-10% alcohol around Dayton area and surrounding.

I  been running race gas (couple 3-4 gallon go all summer for me) in the lawnmower and Ryobi trimmer, though the trimmer gets AMSOIL synthetic 2-stroke oil too, probably 14-15yr old, still going

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top