Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2011 6:47:25 PM EDT
Enlisted U.S. military heading to Belgium for 4 years. I would like to get all applicable weapons permits before I leave the U.S.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:33:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 10:51:49 PM EDT
Exactly why I want the proper documentation before poessessing any guns in Belgium.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 10:56:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2011 10:56:59 PM EDT by mike-munich]
I don't see that happen before you leave CONUS. It's rather complicated to have your POF over here, USAREUR is following the guidelines of each individual country over here. You might want to get in touch with the provost marshal at your new duty station to get details.

Also this might be helpful: POF in Europe

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 11:46:12 PM EDT
Not Army, I'm Air Force. We don't have provost marshalls and are alot more on our own. We don't even have unit arm rooms. I do have some peers in my gaining unit inquiring for me as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:42:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2011 1:44:02 AM EDT by mike-munich]
I do have some peers in my gaining unit inquiring for me as well.

Way to go. I dunno about the AF's regulation for POF's, but I bet USAFE pretty much sticks with the host countries gunlaws just like the other branches.

Have fun on your European tour!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 5:46:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2011 5:51:23 AM EDT by iggy1337]
I'll mail a friend in Belgium to see if he can get some information on the paper work that is needed, I will post back asap

Seeing Belgium has two official languages (Dutch and French) official documents should be availeble in both languages, I would gladly help in filling out any Dutch language paperwork (my French is next to useless).

Edit: What type of gun is it ?

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:36:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:53:20 AM EDT
I have not been able to contact my old friend.

In the mean time I did some reserch into a Belgium aplication, I must stress that I have no experiences with (interpreting) Belgium law so this is just FYI.

-No Suprise but Full Auto/Supressors/Explosive munitions/disguised guns etc. are going to be difficult unless you have a collecters licence.

-Here is the aplication form for POSSESION of a Gun, the licence is procesed on police district level so the form you need would probably be availe in the district were you are stationed Link to Dutch Form

-As far as I can tell you would need a licence to posses the gun in Belgium first, once you have this you could apply to the Belgium customs to bring the gun in.

-I assume the gun will be needed for personal protection, you basicly have two options
1)A gun needed for you function : You require a statement from your employer that you need the gun for you function along with a explanation why you need it.
2)A gun needed for personal defence: You have to show you run REAL a risk.

I personally feel US defence personel are targets here in Europe as we saw in the recent attack in Frankfurt there have also been people arrested in Belgium for plotting atacks on US personel in the past. I would make a good case out of it in the Netherlands but Belgium is a different country so I really have no idear how aplications like this are judged.

Also be check out the ITAR regulation about in and export of arms as far as US law is concerned.

Hope this helps some, like I said earlier if you come across any documents that require translation just let me know.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 11:46:24 AM EDT by MeSmokie]
For Belgium you can contact the department for import and export of firearms at the following adress :

They will be able to provide you al the needed information.

Where are you going to be stationed? Nato Brussels, Chievres?
And welcome to Belgium
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:45:37 PM EDT
Going to KB. Hope to be able to rent a place in Hechtal but I hear most homeowners don't like to rent to Americans.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 8:30:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2011 8:35:09 AM EDT by ShakenNotStirred]
Originally Posted By TheRealMags:
Enlisted U.S. military heading to Belgium for 4 years. I would like to get all applicable weapons permits before I leave the U.S.

The rules at the Embassy may (and often are) completely different from what is permitted to military operating under the SOFA.  However, below is the open source (and dated) policy from the Embassy, as reported on EDiplomat.  Based on my experience, this is just the sort of policy you will find in effect for your situation.

Frankly, unless you're a bona fide competitive shooter (with a lot of documented training, qualification, and competition) you will have little luck securing any sympathy from your command and even less from the local authorities.  Currently, I am awaiting German reauthorization of the US Rod & Gun Club Sport Shooting Program so that I can register two of my handguns (and take possession of them).  They are in the unit arms room, and I limited to the firearms I am authorized as a qualified Jäger (or German hunter).  Your other option, of course, is to secure licensure as a Belgian hunter upon arrival and work through acquiring firearms that way.

If you think that you're just going to bring your guns with you to Europe because you "want to" or for protection ... you will have the same rude awakening that I had many years ago.

Firearms and Ammunition Last Updated: 11/28/2003 2:03 PM
Belgian law prohibits the importation of all weapons of war. Sporting weapons (i.e., rifles and shotguns) are permitted but require registration with Belgian authorities and their use is controlled. There are no specific limits on the number of rifles and shotguns that may be imported. Personnel with sporting weapons are required to carry accident insurance covering their possession and use. Possession of firearms by persons under the age of 18 is prohibited.

Prior to packing, personnel planning to ship firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) to post must first obtain the prior authorization of the Chief of Mission and the approval of the RSO and must clearly identify the weapons to be included in the shipment by make, model, caliber, and serial number. Upon arrival personnel must provide JAS/GSO Customs with documentation of ownership so customs clearance can be arranged. Once the HHE has arrived and the shipment cleared for importation, a request for ‘authorization to possess a firearm’ is sent to the appropriate Belgian authorities. Personnel without full diplomatic status must also apply for authorization from the police authorities in their commune of residence.

The Belgian Government strictly controls the importation and possession of personally owned handguns (pistols and revolvers). Permission to retain a handgun is difficult to obtain and cannot be guaranteed. Bringing handguns to post is strongly discouraged.

Personnel are reminded that ammunition may not be included in the HHE and must be shipped separately as hazardous cargo. The cost of this shipment may be charged to the transfer travel authorization. For ammunition shipments originating in the U.S., special export authorization is required. In Belgium, a special import authorization is required prior to the arrival of the shipment. Such authorizations may not be requested until the employee has arrived at post.

Personnel are also reminded that prior to departing the U.S. they must register their firearms with the U.S. Customs Service. This will facilitate the shipment of your weapons when you return to the United States. Contact the nearest U.S. Customs office for additional information.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:33:07 PM EDT
Thanks for the post. Really want to bring some guns for 3 gunning.
Top Top