Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2014 11:46:52 AM EDT
Yesterday, I received a second letter from Service Line Warranties of America.  It was sent representing Enfield government and It read like a scam.

So I contacted the mayor, whom undersigned the letters I've received.  He responded by saying the town council joined the National League of Cities.  That the town council approved this mailing and he signed off on it.

I replied with this being a huge violation of my privacy passing my address to this company.  That I wish to not receive any more mailings.

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quiet, citizen. You're free. Freedom comes with a cost, doncha know? Seriously, though, that's kinda fucked.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yesterday, I received a second letter from Service Line Warranties of America.  It was sent representing Enfield government and It read like a scam.

So I contacted the mayor, whom undersigned the letters I've received.  He responded by saying the town council joined the National League of Cities.  That the town council approved this mailing and he signed off on it.

I replied with this being a huge violation of my privacy passing my address to this company.  That I wish to not receive any more mailings.

I just don't get it.
View Quote

I have half a buck that says you get the same mailings next year.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#3]
After a few back and forth emails from the Mayor, he feels this was perfectly ok since it was already public info the council gave out. I told him this was huge overreach on the part of the town council and a violation of my trust.  Since I'm not getting any where with the mayor, I contacted the JI.  Maybe they will agree with me.

The town did a small press release on 19 Jun about the letters.  My guess is alot of residents are upset and/or concerned over these letters.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to live in Enfield and moved many years ago Its got to be one of the most fucked up and over taxed town in Ct.There is so much sneaky business going on with the fire district's commissioners pays,conflict of interest with appointments of positions,Town lawyer appointing himself to new positions The FBI should raid the town hall and see what else is going on.I can go on all day about school system,building dept,zoning board,police dept,little league,etc. I hope you make out with the Journal newspaper.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree whole-heartedly. If the town wanted to make this "service" available to the residents, then it should have purchased an ad in the local papers or put it up on local TV and made it known to us that it was available.  I'd be a dollar that the town actually 'sold' that list to this service either for money up front or for part of the profits that this service will reap.

On another note, I didn't read all the fine print.  Does this "insurance company" know that there is a huge majority of very old homes (+100 yrs) whose water service is still the same as when the house was built??  I know that we had our service totally replaced a number of years ago.  The only thing holding the pipe together from the feeder was the compacted earth around it.  When we pulled it up it was toast.  Cost a pretty penny but now we have 1" copper feeding our old home and it'll be good for another 100 years.  

One has to wonder what results homeowners around here will get if they try to claim on the features of this policy.

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top