Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 6:49:10 PM EDT
I went by there today to check it out.  When I was young, in the 70's and early 80's I shot there often.  

I just did not get a good feel from the place.  Anyone else have similiar observations?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I went there a month or so ago and shot a few rounds of trap on the Winchester side.  I thought it was kinda nice actually.

They have a decent pro shop (no guns...) and club house.  I plan on going back, heck, I've stock piled #8 shells for the occasion!

Maybe we need to get you out there with my Beretta autoloadah to smash some clays???
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
They use to have a nice 300 yard range, a cool tactical range, etc.  The old guy I talked to seemed bothered to speak to me.  

But we can go shoot sometime!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the impression I got from them. The old man seemed like it was an inconvienience for him for you to be there. They also don't allow FMJ at the rifle side. It's a shame because I live real close to them, but I won't go and spend mega-$$$ just to shoot soft-points at their range when I have tons of cheapo FMJ here. I just drive out to McKinney where the people are friendlier and I can shoot whatever the hell I want. The shotgun side is different though, and I don't mind going there. If I want to shoot trap, then I'll go to Elm Fork, but anything else I'll go to CCGR.

Their shotgun side is looking a lot better than it used to be. They are really fixing it up. Now they just need to do that to the pistol/rifle side. It's looking a little run down over there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time I went there, I broke out the AR and immediately was swarmed by two ROs.  "You're not going to shoot that with FMJ, are ya?"  one said with a big ole scowl on his face.  Well, that was the plan, but I put my weapon down and grabbed some soft points out of the trunk.  They never said another word to me but just continued to stare like I didnt belong there.  Like I said, that was the last time I was there and that will  be the last time I go.  Stick with CCGR where the gents know their business and provide a much better atmosphere.  It is too bad that often you run into those in the firearms business (dealers, gunsmiths or range operators) that have an almost elitist, holier than thou attitude.  If they only knew their customers a little better, it might keep some of them in business a little longer.  Just my rant...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had a problem. I brought my suppressed M16 and a suppressed M700 and they never bothered me. Asked a few questions about the cans (who made it, wow it is quiet, how do I get one). I agree though, the old guy does not appear to be friendly, but if you talk to him, he is OK.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this the same range that was once called Winchester's?

Jester
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it used to be called Winchester.

I have not been out there since the name change.  But, plan to be there for the Tiger Valley RO class on October 2nd.

Be safe,
Leonard
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget that Gibsons on Lawson Rd in Mesquite will allow FMJ and they have a 200yd range.  A membership card will cost you $6.00/year and then you pay $10.00 each time you go to the range.  That is $10.00 for all day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't forget that Gibsons on Lawson Rd in Mesquite will allow FMJ and they have a 200yd range.  A membership card will cost you $6.00/year and then you pay $10.00 each time you go to the range.  That is $10.00 for all day.

Yes, and the older gentleman that runs it is a really nice guy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I cant stand the old Winchester range.  Old man is a jerk and they had some real winner range nazi's.  I like like going there for Tiger Valley courses, otherwise I'd never step foot in the place.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do they allow .50 cal?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Disregard my last message.

I thought you meant the Backwoods Traps. I agree, The Winchester range sucks. I only go there when Tiger Valley is running a shoot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, backwoods traps is cool.  Thats my favorite range.  Just wish they allowed FMJ.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Are the range nazis going to be there for the RO class to tell me that I can't shoot FMJ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope.  RO class in on the TV tac range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top