Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 11:14:23 AM EDT
I'll be heading up for the 15th. I can't wait. I didn't get one last year, so I'll be trying again. I'll be hunting the Umpqua national forest in the tiller area. Anybody have any advice? know the area? Anybody have any weather predictions? Any advice at all?

I'll also be looking for deer after elk season, and doing the usual grouse shooting.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:19:39 AM EDT
Good luck. Hope you like crowds!

If I were you I'd be poking around more NE of you, towards the top, especially if you get some snow, but don't count on it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 8:06:20 PM EDT by BILLBO]
i'll be chasing elk on the 15th also. still scouting for area though since nothing looks
too good so far.

heard of elk with some rather large bulls running through my dads neighborhood problem is its a neighbor hood.

so im thinking of hunting up the road in hopes they wander into the woods.

so if any of you guys that dont hunt elk but spend a lot of time in the woods know where
any herds or good suggestions on where to hunt please let me know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:35:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BILLBO:
i'll be chasing elk on the 15th also. still scouting for area though since nothing looks
too good so far.

heard of elk with some rather large bulls running through my dads neighborhood problem is its a neighbor hood.

so im thinking of hunting up the road in hopes they wander into the woods.

so if any of you guys that dont hunt elk but spend a lot of time in the woods know where
any herds or good suggestions on where to hunt please let me know.

Where bouts BILLBO?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:37:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:

If I were you I'd be poking around more NE of you, towards the top, especially if you get some snow, but don't count on it!

Thanks. Where specifically would be a better area to pursue? Do you have any experience with this area?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:50:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By theseacow:

Originally Posted By petagunner:

Thanks. Where specifically would be a better area to pursue? Do you have any experience with this area?

A little bit. Lets put it this way. If you get weather, get the hell outta there and go up on the south side of 3 lakes and watch for the elk moving out of the park. Lemolo lake area would be my #1 pick. If you look at how many people hunt Jackson Creek vs. the number of bulls actually killed, its rather depressing. I had a friend who killed a nice 5x6 up Lemolo bow hunting and another friend who saw a 7x9 50yds in front of the truck on the way way to the job site. Another friend who bow hunted one of the above mentioned areas had trail cam pics of 6 different branch bulls in 2 days. One pic of 2 5x5 and 1 6x6 all in the same pic.

As for areas of more bulls vs hunters, the area above Lemolo is better than the others. Another area is the "strip" or Toketee air strip. There is alot of Elk up there along with Watson Falls and the Skookum lake area. Don't expect to drive up on some in a unit....You'll have to work for them if you see one.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:58:12 PM EDT
im still really open to where im going since the elk over by my dads place will have to travel 5-10 miles
up the road for me to shoot at and since hunters are in the woods looking for deer chances are they
will be on the private land where its safe.

im currently looking in the western mt hood and mollala mothain areas
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:24:08 AM EDT
Will be on the Hood RIver side of the mountain. Hunting the edges of both the Dalles Watershed and Bullrun.

We will see.
CH
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:53:30 AM EDT
We still have about 6 weeks before our season starts. I wouldn't count on the NE area being unpopulated. Last year they were thick as flies out there and about as bright as a stump.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:16:43 AM EDT
I know the perfect spot.....

Up that gravel road, the one with the tree's on the edge of it.......with that patch of timber below it......

And that's why I dont take my wife hunting.

"See that one?"
Where?
"By that stump!"
Great, its a unit full of stumps...
"By that big one!"

Or the "Oooohhhh! STOP!!!!!!!"
Brakes locked up...skidding.......
What, Where?????

Oh, look at that flower, isn't it pretty?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:42:31 AM EDT
hummm......I think you'd fine hunting with me isn't that way. Patty
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:03:23 AM EDT
1 more week till i pack and leave. im getting all tingly inside.
Top Top