Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 7:13:56 AM EDT

On January 26, 2011, State Senator Mike Green of Mayville introduced Senate Bill 58 to eliminate Criminal Saftey Zones which apply to holders of Concealed Pistols Licenses.  Under current law, citizens are forbidden to take their firearms onto the premises of Universities, Schools, Religious Institutions, Banks and establishments which are licensed to sell alcohol.  Senator Greens legislation would eliminate these Criminal Saftey Zones and enable citizens to once again have the right to an effective self defense.  

Senator Green also introduced Senate Bill 59 to shift the responsibility for licensure from 82 County Gun Boards  to the Secretary of State.  Clearly passage of this bill would result in a better use of Taxpayer dollars and ensure greater uniformity in the Licensure process.  Keep in mind that under current law County Concealed Weapon Boards are  comprised of highly compensated representatives of the local county Prosecutors Office, the State Police, the County Sheriff as well as a member of the County clerks office where one resides. Currently this is an expensive and uncessary burden on taxpayers and licensees, and would become a much more uniform and efficient process by shifting responsibility to the Secretary of States Office.  

Please call your State Senator (Directory Link Below) and ask that they support Senator Greens bills. One should also call ones State Representative as well. Once can obtain their phone number from your State Senators office.

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/members/memberlist.htm

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I called Rep. Kahns office and talked to one of his staff.   He is usually very supportive so I think he will be on board with this
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
you can sign an online petition here also

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?MIHB4009

I was signiture 1392
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Lengthy discussion about the pryor here...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I am signature 2231
Quoted:
you can sign an online petition here also

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?MIHB4009

I was signiture 1392

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I emailed and got replies from both my reps.  One mentioned that he was not ready to take a position on the guns in schools issue.

I plan to email him back regarding the 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, where individuals with a CCW permit can already carry openly in schools in MI.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Signed 2282
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top