Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 2/23/2007 10:23:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 1:50:32 PM EST by gilfrd]
I just got home from making an offer on a house in NC, yea me!

Anyhow, it was cold in the house after being gone for a few days so we turned on the furnace and plugged in a space heater to hurry the process.

After about 10 minutes, the power went out in the living room.

I went to check the breakers but everything is fine, I even reset the master... nothing.

Anyone know any good electricians? I need one in a big hurry.

Thanks HTF.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:41:55 AM EST
Please don't take this as condescending, but do you know what a tripped breaker looks like? Do you know how to reset a tripped breaker? Your post would indicate that only the circuit in the living room isn't working. About the only thing that could be would be a tripped breaker. (Unless, of course, you have a bad breaker)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:48:23 AM EST
The breaker wasn't tripped, I've reset them before in my days.

I'm thinking you are right, either a bad breaker or someting more sinister.

I guess I'll give Mr.Sparky a call.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:25:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 11:28:07 AM EST by jmarkma]

Originally Posted By gilfrd:
The breaker wasn't tripped, I've reset them before in my days.

I'm thinking you are right, either a bad breaker or someting more sinister.

I guess I'll give Mr.Sparky a call.

Sounds like you burned up the breaker. Very easy fix if you have ever been in a breaker box before. It is caused by a constant draw right at the point before it trips.

If you were closer I would come over with my meter and show you. Heck I even have some extra breakers laying around. BTW, I am not electrician but I have done a good bit of basic wiring.

If you do have a meter and you aren't scared to pull a breaker just check for continuity.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:49:56 PM EST
Update

Mister Sparky came by, talk about the ol bait and switch!

On the phone:
59.00 travel charge then they do an inspection then tell you what it will cost to fix.

Real life:
59.00 travel charge THEN it'll be $199.00 to $277.00 to inspect THEN they'll tell me how much it is to fix.

So I call the main office and tell them what the technician told me.

After some hemmin and hawin, all the sudden they'll waive the 199.00 inspection charge

I hand the phone to the technician and he seems none too pleased, I don't care one bit.

He reluctantly worked the outlets back to the box and found one that was blown.

How much to fix it? 49.99

Fine. 116.75 out the door.

I'll be calling someone else next time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:51:46 PM EST
Next time check with WWW.Kudzu.COM you can find whoever and whatever you need on there with full reviews.
See if MR. sparky is on there. If he is give him a bad review!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:59:43 PM EST

Update

On the phone:
59.00 travel charge then they do an inspection then tell you what it will cost to fix.

Real life:
59.00 travel charge THEN it'll be $199.00 to $277.00 to inspect THEN they'll tell me how much it is to fix.

After some hemmin and hawin, all the sudden they'll waive the 199.00 inspection charge

I hand the phone to the technician and he seems none too pleased, I don't care one bit.

SO it was a bad breaker then. At least you didnt sit and take it like most homeowners would have.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:22:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 3:23:17 AM EST by jmarkma]
Well at least you got it fixed in a timely manner.

So, how long did this take him?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:55:34 AM EST
Heck, I'm not even sure it was the breaker, the outlet blew out due to its age and the high current running through it.

It took the guy about an hour to find the offending outlet, then replacing it another 10 minutes.

It makes me wonder why the breaker didn't trip, it looks like I still need an electrician.
i'll check out Kudzu and leave a report with them.

After all this was said and done, my wife called her mother to tell her about it. She does real estate and knew about their tactics. She told us she would never use them, that would have been good info... if I ever listened to her.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:59:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By HighlandMac:

Update

On the phone:

Real life:

SO it was a bad breaker then. At least you didnt sit and take it like most homeowners would have.

I could see how most homeowners would "take it". They send out the most intimidating 'technicians' they can hire. Mine was about 6'4" tall, 300 lbs and a very loud/commanding voice. That shit dont work on me, I'm more heavily armed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:22:22 AM EST

Heck, I'm not even sure it was the breaker, the outlet blew out due to its age and the high current running through it.

It took the guy about an hour to find the offending outlet, then replacing it another 10 minutes.

It makes me wonder why the breaker didn't trip, it looks like I still need an electrician.
i'll check out Kudzu and leave a report with them.

After all this was said and done, my wife called her mother to tell her about it. She does real estate and knew about their tactics. She told us she would never use them, that would have been good info... if I ever listened to her.

If it was an outlet, the reason you have this problem has more to do with how the house is wired. The outlets are obviously wired in series. The best way is to directly wire the lines together with a lead going to the outlet eliminating any chance of this happening. There is a small bridge between the two screws on an outlet that will burn up if there is too much current drawn across it.
Top Top