Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 6:09:38 AM EDT
Cloudy with chance of T-storms.

Historically there is 44% chance of clear skies.

Sell your eclipse glasses now!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cloudy with chance of T-storms.

Historically there is 44% chance of clear skies.
View Quote

I'd like to know the chance that an Accuweather forecast is accurate 11 days ahead of time. Most of our local TV news weather forecasts are barely accurate more than a couple of days out.

Choosing to remain optimistic!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Planning to drive closer to the middle of the state from the Rock Hill area. My first thought was Columbia (Lake Murray) but 77 is going to be choked by out of staters and the city is going to suck to be in (good view, but too many people).

So now I'm looking at hitting backroads to get somewhere in the vicinity of Santee,  Congaree National Forest, even Moncks Corner. Places the out of state crowds might overlook.

Anyone know of anything going on in those areas? Even better, to dodge the traffic we were thinking of coming down Sunday evening and tent camping. Of course all the conventional camping spots are booked. Anyone know of a decent primitive camping spot we could use for a night? No fire, no restroom, just me, my wife and a 5 year old with a tent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
@Keyst0ne

I have some hunting land in Cassatt, SC.  It's outside of the zone of total occlusion, but it's a close drive to get in.  It's about an hour from my house in Columbia.  I might be amendable to letting you pitch a tent there.  PM me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate the offer! Looks like my wife has a friend in Anderson where we can stay. Now it's just fingers crossed on the weather. Cloudy or not it'll still get dark though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe all the furor about the solar eclipse Mon. There wasn't any hype, large sale of glasses, or crowded roads in 1970 (Mar 7, went thru Summerville).

We had one Gun club member wanting to know if we should close the range because it was going to be dark! News for you, it didn't get very dark in 1970.

Greenville News had front page article that Duke Power would "have to balance their solar grid during the eclipse" - duh! What do they do during thunderstorms?

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't believe all the furor about the solar eclipse Mon. There wasn't any hype, large sale of glasses, or crowded roads in 1970 (Mar 7, went thru Summerville).

We had one Gun club member wanting to know if we should close the range because it was going to be dark! News for you, it didn't get very dark in 1970.

Greenville News had front page article that Duke Power would "have to balance their solar grid during the eclipse" - duh! What do they do during thunderstorms?

View Quote
hey geezer, the state population has almost doubled since 1970
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
you folks on the roads be safe and pack extra fuel,  SC HWP is expecting 3 million additional visitors,  I live in York and work in Charlotte,  from 3:30 to 6:30 PM the traffic sucks on a regular day,  I cant imagine what Monday will be like,  I will have 5 extra gallons of fuel and some grub,  I remember what happened the last hurricane we had on the coast.

its gonna be crazy,  stay frosty
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you folks on the roads be safe and pack extra fuel,  SC HWP is expecting 3 million additional visitors,  I live in York and work in Charlotte,  from 3:30 to 6:30 PM the traffic sucks on a regular day,  I cant imagine what Monday will be like,  I will have 5 extra gallons of fuel and some grub,  I remember what happened the last hurricane we had on the coast.

its gonna be crazy,  stay frosty
View Quote
Oh dear god. People are going to die. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Filled my tank today... what's up with the sudden gas price increase.. I heard it may go 12 cents higher while all those are coming in for the event. I suppose if we get better roads out of it all is not lost...  rain or shine, me, my lawn chair, my dog, and a bucket of cold beer... I'll enjoy the dark for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh dear god. People are going to die. 
View Quote
i dont think anyone will die,  but I drive in charlotte traffic every week,  i see cray

hopefully it will be ok,  but im betting a shit storm
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The news said AT&T has made 2,500 upgrades in South Carolina for the Eclipse.

Verizon said they made upgrades a while ago and will not be deploying additional resources to SC. 
I have Verizon and went to the St. Pattys day thing they do downtown this year and did not have service for half the day.

It'll probably be a service blackout.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#14]
10% chance of rain according to the weather man last night in columbia.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Perfect skies this afternoon. Just perfect. Glad the early forecasts were wrong.

Now you tourists get the hell out of here!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Great total eclipse here. Sunshine was getting a little faint then all of a sudden, "WHAM" it got dark.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]
100% chance of rain, with lightning during the totality at my house
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Freakin' cloud rolled through right before the totality and blew out of the way right after it was over.  My sister saw it fine just ten miles away.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]
We had to hop in the car and displace 3 miles east twice but caught the totality in all its glory from (six miles east of) Anderson, SC.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a link to the best of the pictures I took from my back yard.

https://postimg.org/gallery/eacw3djy/

Pretty neat how the sunlight "thinned" then "WHAM", it went dark silently but suddenly, and 2 1/2 minutes later the reverse occurred. Here, the clouds went away for an hour or so around eclipse time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Total Eclipse Pic taken by me in the backyard.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Taken from our spot next to Williams-Brice Stadium in Colatown. We got extremely lucky with the clouds that were in the area, it started raining 10-15 minutes after totality ended.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top