Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 7:53:49 AM EDT
Was thinking out loud about moving to a free state.  Any good areas that are accessible to NYC on a daily commute basis?

How are the schools?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Was thinking out loud about moving to a free state.  Any good areas that are accessible to NYC on a daily commute basis?

How are the schools?

TIA

The only thing going is the East Stroudsburg area. It's the closest point to the Delaware Water Gap and access to NJ and NYC via Rt. 80.

However, it's an hour and a half away from Lower Manhattan: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+stroudsburg,+pa&daddr=East+Stroudsburg,+PA&saddr=15+park+row,+new+york,+ny&rl=1&ie=UTF8&z=10 I understand your yearning for freedom, but you're going to wind up a slave to the highway and the gas pump.

What about CT? It isn't strictly free, but it isn't as bad as MA.

Were it me, and the need were strong enough, I'd investigate the Philly area. Work there if you have to, live outside of it at all costs. Really, it's not too bad, and there are great schools in the 'burbs. We even have Sabrett's hot dogs in the grocery stores, and Subways and Blimpies, too, although you would eventually come to appreciate real hoagies from places like Primo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How are the schools?

TIA

The only thing going is the East Stroudsburg area. It's the closest point to the Delaware Water Gap and access to NJ and NYC via Rt. 80.

However, it's an hour and a half away from Lower Manhattan: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+stroudsburg,+pa&daddr=East+Stroudsburg,+PA&saddr=15+park+row,+new+york,+ny&rl=1&ie=UTF8&z=10 I understand your yearning for freedom, but you're going to wind up a slave to the highway and the gas pump.

What about CT? It isn't strictly free, but it isn't as bad as MA.

Were it me, and the need were strong enough, I'd investigate the Philly area. Work there if you have to, live outside of it at all costs. Really, it's not too bad, and there are great schools in the 'burbs. We even have Sabrett's hot dogs in the grocery stores, and Subways and Blimpies, too, although you would eventually come to appreciate real hoagies from places like Primo.

There is a Port Jervis train line that I could take if I can get there.  I like the Stroudsburg area, there's a great shop there too, Dunkleburgs (sp?)

I don't plan on driving by any means, I came across the PA/NJ bridge on 80 on a Friday evening, that was maddness.  I like my job in lower manhattan and the Port Jervis train is not that bad.  I'm already 1 1/2 door to door in Rockland County NY.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of folks that died at the WTC on 9-11 lived in upper Bucks County. Catch a train to Trenton, then another train to NYC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey come down to the Lehigh Valley. We rule. 60 miles from Philly 70 from NYC, and everything you could ask for between Allentown, Easton, and Bethlehem. Except hordes of metrosexual "fashion" designers and most of the populace maintains their english skills.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey come down to the Lehigh Valley. We rule. 60 miles from Philly 70 from NYC, and everything you could ask for between Allentown, Easton, and Bethlehem. Except hordes of metrosexual "fashion" designers and most of the populace maintains their english skills.

Jah, Du hast recht, Kerlchen.

LMFAO ...
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ha ha ha ha,

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If your looking for a heavily Republican county you might look at Pike county though that is the fastest growing county in the state and I'm sure land values are high there. Then there is Wayne county in the extreme N.E. corner of the state. There seams to be a lot of land available in that area but it also seams to me that most everyone is related up there. I live in the Scranton area and am surrounded by liberal democrats, its often more than I can stand but the wife's family lives here.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for east stroudsburg, escaped from the toxic state 2 years ago. It is 1:40 from door to door so if you can't ever telecommute it will suck a bit. I drive I-80 to willowbrook mall and take the express to port authority, then walk a few blocks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Bucks County is great. Very gun friendly and solidly Republican.

If you live in Newtown, Yardley or Upper Makefield you have a 20-25 minute drive and then an hour to hour and 15 train ride from Trenton to NYC. A lot of people make that commute every day via NJ Transit.

Home to a number of good gun shops and of course Langhorne Rod and Gun Club.

From a tax standpoint you will be floored at how reasonable they are compared to NJ or NY.

I fled NJ about 4 years ago and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 for east stroudsburg, escaped from the toxic state 2 years ago. It is 1:40 from door to door so if you can't ever telecommute it will suck a bit. I drive I-80 to willowbrook mall and take the express to port authority, then walk a few blocks.

How long is the drive to the Willowbrook mall, 40 mins?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you live in Newtown, Yardley or Upper Makefield you have a 20-25 minute drive and then an hour to hour and 15 train ride from Trenton to NYC. A lot of people make that commute every day via NJ Transit.

From a tax standpoint you will be floored at how reasonable they are compared to NJ or NY.

How are the schools?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How are the schools?

I lived in Washington Crossing, PA and commuted into Midtown every day for 5 years.  Total trip time (drivingto the train station, parking, catching Amtrak, walking from Penn Station to 1 Park Ave) was just under two hours each way; 1.5 hours if my schedule coincided with the express trains.

Council Rock School District is where my kids are in school. One of the best in the country.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The only things i would watch out for in Bucks County are a few school districts in the Lower part of county, mainly Bristol and Morrisville.  If the Council Rock school district is a little too expensive for your tastes, there's also the Pennsbury (where I live now) and the Neshaminy (where I went) districts.  Both are excellent with over 90% of students attending college after high school.  As you move farther north, you hit the North Penn district and the Central Bucks districts which are also pretty damn good.  I was just playing in the real estate market in this area and chose lower bucks but I work all over the county.  A decent site to look at woul be www.everyhome.com, user: special, password: client.  Take a look and good luck.  Feel free to PM me with questions.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

<-- lives in Center City.

I've seen a lot more New Yawkers down here lately.  Maybe it's because of all the NY Giants fan merchandise showing up (or bandwagon fans ) or increased presence of Islanders and Rangers fans at the Flyers games, but they've been steadily increasing in number since 2000 or so.  I think the real estate pricing in NY drove some of them down here to Philly.  So they live here, but continue to work in NYC.

In any event, the train ride from Philly to New York can be rough (2-2.5 hrs using SEPTA/NJ Transit, or 1-1.5 hrs using Amtrak) but apparently a lot of people are doing it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

How are the schools?

Excellent schools in the area.

I think the Council Rock School district is fantastic (Newtown and Upper Makefield) The Pennsbury School didtirct is OK (Yardley) thru Middle School but the high school leaves a lot to be desired. It's a little to big.  Folks move to Newtown, wrightstown, etc. for the schools.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The only things i would watch out for in Bucks County are a few school districts in the Lower part of county, mainly Bristol and Morrisville.  If the Council Rock school district is a little too expensive for your tastes, there's also the Pennsbury (where I live now) and the Neshaminy (where I went) districts.  Both are excellent with over 90% of students attending college after high school.  As you move farther north, you hit the North Penn district and the Central Bucks districts which are also pretty damn good.  I was just playing in the real estate market in this area and chose lower bucks but I work all over the county.  A decent site to look at woul be www.everyhome.com, user: special, password: client.  Take a look and good luck.  Feel free to PM me with questions.

Mike

Mike, thank you for the insites.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How are the schools?

Excellent schools in the area.

I think the Council Rock School district is fantastic (Newtown and Upper Makefield) The Pennsbury School didtirct is OK (Yardley) thru Middle School but the high school leaves a lot to be desired. It's a little to big.  Folks move to Newtown, wrightstown, etc. for the schools.

Thank you we'll look into it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long is the drive to the Willowbrook mall, 40 mins?

about 50 min, exit 308 in PA (3 miles to the border) to exit 53 in NJ. Doing 70 to 85 most of the way you blend in with the traffic flow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top