Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 5:03:21 PM EDT
Folks:

I am selling a few pistols in the EE, and I have buyers out of state.  I have shipped rifles with no problem before to FFL holders, but it appears that shipping handguns is a whole new ball of wax, looking at 50 dollar shipping fees as they have to go overnight, by law.

Do FFL dealers have a way to do this cheaper? Are they likely to?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
FFL can ship pistols flat rate USPS Priority Mail for about $10.00.

Have shipped a pistol all the way to Fiji Islands which is a US Territory on the other side of the world for $10.00

TD
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet :)  

I was hoping there was something like that.  Time to go buy some new stuff at my local place, and see if they will do the shipping.

Thanks much, treedawg.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Whew, at 35 bucks per mail transfer from my FFL here, and having only baked 15 per gun shipping into the prices, I paid for that lesson.  Cheaper than some lessons I have learned though :)

(unless of course there is a kindly FFL in Forsyth County who would like a case of beer, and I'll cover the USPS shipping)

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have shipped a pistol all the way to Fiji Islands which is a US Territory on the other side of the world for $10.00
TD

And they wonder why the USPS is going Tits Up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
This!   USPS is leaving a lot of money on the table.  If they would invest in a better tracking system like UPS and FedEx use, they could get a lot more business from people.   Their flat rate boxes allow for up to 70 pounds of content, which is nuts since UPS and FedEx would charge you out the ass for something that heavy.  

Hopefully the post office will close down the offices that only do $100 a week of mail and save some money.

Quoted:
Quoted:
TD

And they wonder why the USPS is going Tits Up.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The 70 pound thing amused me, when shipping ipod size stuff in the smallest size priority mail flat rate box.  I was wondering to myself if there was anything other than a slice of black hole that would fit in the little box, and weigh 70 pounds :)

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whew, at 35 bucks per mail transfer from my FFL here, and having only baked 15 per gun shipping into the prices, I paid for that lesson.  Cheaper than some lessons I have learned though :)

(unless of course there is a kindly FFL in Forsyth County who would like a case of beer, and I'll cover the USPS shipping)

I would help you out if you were closer but you FFL's fee's are a bargain compared to the gas it would take you to get to Dublin, GA.

TD
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would help you out if you were closer but you FFL's fee's are a bargain compared to the gas it would take you to get to Dublin, GA.

TD

You know, some days I'd just like to drive down there and eat at Nanny's in Glenwood, right by where I used to do all my hunting. Those big home made donuts are awesome.  Schedule does not permit in time to get this done, but thanks much!
(If you do go there and get a donut, don't tell me)

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AFAIK, the law does NOT require overnight shipping. You have to use a common carrier and have to declare it as a firearm, but overnight shipping is not legally required. UPS and FedEx evidently have policies that require it, but they must be very loosely enforced because I've shipped multiple guns through them without having to go overnight.

I suspect that UPS and FEDEX instituted the overnight shipping to minimize the time the firearms are in their systems. The UPS hubs were known for gun theft at one time - their insurance purchased me a custom Browning Hi-Power several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I just did some recent (like, yesterday) research on this, and UPS will ship a long gun for you however you like, private person to FFL, even with cheaper multi day services, but will only take a pistol as a next day, same with Fedex.  I have sent rifles UPS, I think it was 20 bucks or so, and a 3 day delivery time, but the pistol shipping stuff is a new animal to me.  USPS wants nothing to do with a non-ffl shipping a pistol anywhere.

I rarely sell guns, only to buy more stuff. And usually, if I'm selling one, there's a friend that has expressed interest in it prior to my deciding to sell it, making it easy :)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AFAIK, the law does NOT require overnight shipping. You have to use a common carrier and have to declare it as a firearm, but overnight shipping is not legally required. UPS and FedEx evidently have policies that require it, but they must be very loosely enforced because I've shipped multiple guns through them without having to go overnight.

You are right, but I dont think the law says you need to declare the weapon, just their policy. Could be wrong though. There is just no way I am telling UPS there is a gun I am shipping.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right, but I dont think the law says you need to declare the weapon, just their policy. Could be wrong though. There is just no way I am telling UPS there is a gun I am shipping.

Federal law requires that a common carrier be notified if the package contains a firearm.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal law requires that a common carrier be notified if the package contains a firearm.

Ok, been wrong before. No biggie. Do you have a link for reference?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#17]

I see. I assume this regulation would be the same if an FFL holder was shipping?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I assume so, but I've never looked into it.

As a FFL I have an obligation/requirement to declare firearms when I ship through the USPS.

The USPS has a dedicated form for this PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

I'm sure a lot of people ship firearms through common carrier w/o proper declaration but that does not make it proper or legal.

TD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top