Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/12/2006 6:46:23 AM EDT
This may sound funny.. but I do not have my drivers liscense, yet...

I can drive just fine.. but I've been avoiding it since I havn't actually needed to get it till about now

Anyways, is it required(as in, is it on the drivers test) that I can parallel park to get my liscense? That is the only thing I can not do.. I'd rather walk a few blocks than parallel park

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 6:55:39 AM EDT by PCR-00]

Originally Posted By jonathon:
This may sound funny.. but I do not have my drivers liscense, yet...

I can drive just fine.. but I've been avoiding it since I havn't actually needed to get it till about now

Anyways, is it required(as in, is it on the drivers test) that I can parallel park to get my liscense? That is the only thing I can not do.. I'd rather walk a few blocks than parallel park

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

They are going to require that you spell License correctly

Start Here

Then, go Here and take the practice test

Then worry about the actual drive test.

The driving test is your chance to show that you are a safe driver. There are no passengers other than authorized personnel, or animals, allowed on the drive test. Only the examiner in the front seat will give you directions. The directions will always be given in a clear fashion and with enough time to allow you to take proper action. You will not be tricked or asked to do anything illegal.

Before the drive test you will be asked to demonstrate the arms signals for right turn, left turn and slow or stop. You may use arm signals during the test if you desire, but the automatic turn signals on the vehicle must be used as well. You will also need to demonstrate the ability to perform an emergency stop.

Along with scoring how well you do in normal traffic the examiner will also ask you to perform certain maneuvers. Those maneuvers are hill park, parallel park, starting out from a parked position, and backing out of a driveway or around a corner.

During the Drive Test some of the things your examiner will note during the course of your drive test are:

Starting your vehicle
Leaving the curb: do you signal and wait until it is safe to reenter traffic

Controlling the vehicle: do you use the gas pedal, brake, steering wheel and other controls correctly; do you change your speed to suit the number and speed of other vehicles, pedestrians,
road conditions, weather conditions, construction, amount of light and the distance you can see ahead

Driving in traffic: do you use the proper lane; do you signal to change lanes; do you change lanes carefully; do you follow other vehicles at a safe distance; do you turn your head and look back before changing lanes; do you signal the proper distance before turning

Obeying traffic signals and signs; do you turn into the proper lane without cutting the lane or going wide into the improper lane

Driving through blind or crowded intersections: do you scan carefully for signs, signals, pedestrians and other vehicles; do you yield and take the right-of-way correctly
Stopping: do you stop smoothly and at the right spot; can you stop quick and safely in an emergency

Backing up: do you look over your right shoulder: can you back in a straight line; do you have complete control of your car

Judging distance: do you stay a safe distance away from other cars when following or passing; do you stay a safe distance away from people walking or riding on the roadway

Respecting the rights of others: are you courteous to other drivers and pedestrians; do you pay full attention to the driving task

The End of the Drive Test

At the end of the test your examiner will give you your score sheet and discuss the results. The score is derived from taking deducted points from 100. The minimum passing score is 80. You can find correct driving procedures in your Washington State Driver Guide.

Don't see anything about parallel parking, you might be in luck!

EDIT: my own f'ed up spelling.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:02:22 AM EDT
You do have to parallel park on the driving test but if you don't pass it, you can still get your license as long as you pass the other tests.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:37:42 AM EDT
Why do they still have the "arm signal" on the driving test?...it's not not like anybody actually uses turn signals 'round here anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:45:28 AM EDT
So up to this point you thought you were entitled to have someone cart your ass around? What about a job? When you going to leave the nest?

Yes, you will parallel park. It may even be on a hill. Practice on a hill and if you luck out and do it on flat ground you luck out. Make sure you turn the wheel the correct way before shutting off the engine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:23:50 PM EDT
Thanks guys

Never bothered learning how to drive since I work for my father and if I really have to go somewhere, I can use the bus... but I really have to want to go to that place to stoop that low

Trying to parallel park a Crown Vic is a bitch....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:25:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 5:34:01 PM EDT by jonathon]

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
How old are you?

Is there a restriction for 18 in this state?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:47:50 PM EDT
All that is required in WA state is to be able to have one hand on the wheel while being distracted by a wonderful cell phone conversation and a glazed and distracted look on your face. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:56:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MOGWAR:
All that is required in WA state is to be able to have one hand on the wheel while being distracted by a wonderful cell phone conversation and a glazed and distracted look on your face. Good luck.

You forgot slamming your brakes on at the sight of flashing lights...

Or waiting till the last instant to zip accrossed two lanes of traffic to get on your exit..

Or freaking out if a snow flake falls..

and the list goes on...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:35:26 AM EDT
It's easy.

between 15.5-16 you have to have a parent/guardian with you in the car at all times. At 16 you can be issued a driver's license and drive without parent/guardian but you cannot legally drive friends around (immmediate family a-OK). After you have two years under your belt (18) you have full driving privilages. However, if you're already 18 you don't have to go to driver's ed (at least thats how it used to be) you just pull into the DMV and they test you. Pass the written and the driving tests and you're good.

And for the record....I had to parallel park. It was graded.

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:58:58 AM EDT
I know it's possible to parrallel a crown vic.. Seen cop cars doing it downtown Vancouver before, and this one is a surplus cop car...

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:02:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PCR-00:

The driving test is your chance to show that you are a safe driver. There are no passengers other than authorized personnel, or animals, allowed on the drive test. Only the examiner in the front seat will give you directions. The directions will always be given in a clear fashion and with enough time to allow you to take proper action. You will not be tricked or asked to do anything illegal.

Before the drive test you will be asked to demonstrate the arms signals for right turn, left turn and slow or stop. You may use arm signals during the test if you desire, but the automatic turn signals on the vehicle must be used as well. You will also need to demonstrate the ability to perform an emergency stop.

Along with scoring how well you do in normal traffic the examiner will also ask you to perform certain maneuvers. Those maneuvers are hill park, parallel park, starting out from a parked position, and backing out of a driveway or around a corner.

During the Drive Test some of the things your examiner will note during the course of your drive test are:

Starting your vehicle

Controlling the vehicle: do you use the gas pedal, brake, steering wheel and other controls correctly; do you change your speed to suit the number and speed of other vehicles, pedestrians,
road conditions, weather conditions, construction, amount of light and the distance you can see ahead

Driving in traffic: do you use the proper lane; do you signal to change lanes; do you change lanes carefully; do you follow other vehicles at a safe distance; do you turn your head and look back before changing lanes; do you signal the proper distance before turning

Obeying traffic signals and signs; do you turn into the proper lane without cutting the lane or going wide into the improper lane

Driving through blind or crowded intersections: do you scan carefully for signs, signals, pedestrians and other vehicles; do you yield and take the right-of-way correctly
Stopping: do you stop smoothly and at the right spot; can you stop quick and safely in an emergency

Backing up: do you look over your right shoulder: can you back in a straight line; do you have complete control of your car

Judging distance: do you stay a safe distance away from other cars when following or passing; do you stay a safe distance away from people walking or riding on the roadway

Respecting the rights of others: are you courteous to other drivers and pedestrians; do you pay full attention to the driving task

At the end of the test your examiner will give you your score sheet and discuss the results. The score is derived from taking deducted points from 100. The minimum passing score is 80. You can find correct driving procedures in your Washington State Driver Guide.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:54:04 AM EDT by migradog]

Originally Posted By MOGWAR:

Don't forget:

The left lane is for doing the speed limit or slower.
Right turns start in the left lane.
The only arm signal I've seen used, is with a hand and 1 finger.

Good luck!!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:32:04 AM EDT
There are driving rules in this state???? Yes, yes, I know theres a book of rules but the way folks drive I think there must be another set I didnt get. It seems to follow the English pattern a bit...slow traffic pulls left. Anyway...the only question on my test was 'Do you have $65?' I answered 'yes' and was given a paper license w/ a plastic one to follow in a few days. Not sure what you get for answering 'no'...maybe a welfare payment?? I think the illegals have their own test too...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:19:27 AM EDT
Well I'm just friggin blind then. Take mine away!

Originally Posted By JS98010:

Originally Posted By PCR-00:

Starting your vehicle

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:53:10 AM EDT
If I put "Illegal Immigrant" down on the little form for my race, does that mean I pass no matter what?

Or does that only fly in Oregon?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:32 AM EDT
jonathon
Post Number :: 614

WA, USA

User Info IM User Email User Reply Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jonathon
Post Number :: 614

WA, USA

User Info IM User Email User Reply Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I put "Illegal Immigrant" down on the little form for my race, does that mean I pass no matter what?

Or does that only fly in Oregon?

Hell they will probably sign you up right there for Medical and food stamps too.

Top Top