Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 10:21:39 PM EDT
Which will likely save me a ton of money in the long run; we're in there three or four times a week.

I wrote to them expressing my displeasure with their treatment of their pharmacist who was fired in 2011 for shooting at a robber REPEATEDLY PULLING THE TRIGGER of a jammed gun he was pointing at him. They said the pharmacist didn't follow their 'non-escalation' policy...as if you can 'escalate' a situation where the robber is already trying hard to shoot you. :banghead:

Here's their response:
Dear (DT Guy's Real Name :)),

Thank you for taking your time to contact our Corporate Offices.  We appreciate hearing from our customers and value all comments received.

Walgreens is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for our employees and customers. Like virtually every major retailer and corporation in the U.S., we prohibit firearms and other weapons in the workplace. Our store policies are based on law enforcement recommendations and exist to provide the maximum safety for both employees and customers. Each of our 250,000 employees is required to review this policy when they are hired and expected to adhere to it. We have taken the same action with those who have violated it in the past.

As a result of these policies, Walgreens has an exemplary safety record dating back more than a century and now covering more than 8,200 stores.

Regarding the case described in the video, that incident occurred in 2011 and the pharmacist’s lawsuit was dismissed after a judge ruled in favor of Walgreens.

Again, thank you for contacting our corporate office.  We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

Be Well,

Grant M.
Consumer Response Rep.
View Quote

So essentially, he should have just sucked it up and died following their policies.

This is, IMHO, a perfect example of a corporation putting their agenda against the natural right of human self-defense. I understand 'their house, their rules', but in this case, 'their rules' would have almost certainly resulted in that man dying, and that's just wrong.

No more $$$ from my family-including all my dogs on heart medication!

Larry
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a ton of people that get their medications from Walgreens so I'm sure it will be harder for some to stop shopping there, especially if their medical insurance covers more there. That really is ridiculous although not surprising since it was their policy to begin with. You'd more than likely be fired from any job that had such a policy already in place and defended yourself with a firearm. I'd personally rather go look for another job after defending my life then be six feet under.

The little closing of "Be well" reminded me of a scene in Demolition man. The scene is perfect since you basically told Walgreens what Stallone tells Raymond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nKnuSAPQE

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Being a Walgreens employee, it sure would be nice to have protection. There are a lot of stories of companies that have done similar though, and Walmart is one too. I cant think of very many places that would let their employees carry while on the job.

As for not shopping there because of it, they wont notice your gone unless your filling 10+ scripts a month. Dont throw your displeasure on one of those receipt surveys either because all it does it come to a store where someone like me cant even help.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Their rules carry the day. I will still shop at ours. My union contract had a no weapons clause , it was law. You show up with one, automatic termination.
One guy in our shop got pissed at management  and  started brandishing a hunting knife. We went to our supervisor and the guy was out within minutes.
Very glad  that policy was enforced.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
We stopped going to Walgreens mostly because the pharmacists are so overworked and usually end up with poor customer service, although I don't blame them all the time.  We have been at Target for the past couple years and we've been extremely happy.  Granted, I did like the app of being able to see my scripts all the time and remotely being able to refill, but it's not worth the hassle.  
Between the wife and I we spend well over 7k a year just in co-pays for our medications and that's with really good insurance.  To the point that we're on a first name basis and they pull our scripts as soon as they see either of us.

Yep, it sucks having chronic injuries, illnesses and disabilities.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I really hate them too for all the above reasons and now the "Be Well" thing really creeps me out.  Reminds me of Demolition Man.  Be well, John Spartan.  Put me back in the fridge!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really hate them too for all the above reasons and now the "Be Well" thing really creeps me out.  Reminds me of Demolition Man.  Be well, John Spartan.  Put me back in the fridge!
View Quote

You are fined five credits for repeated violations of the Verbal Morality Statute.

I agree.  It creeps me out too.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Their rules carry the day. I will still shop at ours. My union contract had a no weapons clause , it was law. You show up with one, automatic termination.

One guy in our shop got pissed at management  and  started brandishing a hunting knife. We went to our supervisor and the guy was out within minutes.

Very glad  that policy was enforced.
View Quote
So let me get this straight you support the no weapons policy of Walgreens?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top