Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:49:07 PM EDT
Let's get some life going in our Iowa hometown forum as I'm tired of always checking this forum first and most of the time seeing there's nothing new since the last time I was here!  

Ok, with that in mind what are you guys planning on doing differently now that the AWB has sunsetted?  Me...well I'd like to get some steel lip Butler Creek mags for that NIB 10/22 I've had for the last 6 years and the 25 plus NIW 25-50 round mags I have sitting in the vault gathering dust.  Next are Ciener 30 round .22lr conversion mags for AR (have)/M-16 (not yet) and Mini-14 (have)/AC-556 (transfer in progress) as they are back to being 3/$150 from Ciener compared to $150+ a piece just a few weeks ago.  Next are UZI 20 and 28 round .22lr conversion mags for the Vector UZI so that once I get the conversion kit I can have me a .22ZI.  Of course some NIW M-16 mags are on the list as that is something that I don't have any of, NIW that is.  Well that is all I can think of off the top of my head for now that I really want to get as far as mags go.  Now firearms are a different story.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock mags, Glock mags, and more Glock mags.

I'd really like some brand spanking new 33 rd scherer mags, but I can't seem to find any.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'd really like some brand spanking new 33 rd scherer mags, but I can't seem to find any.

Wait til the fun show in Des Moines. Last time I was there quite a few tables had them. No guarantees on the prices you'll see though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, i just joined arfcom today. Im from nortwest Iowa. My brother and i are planning on going to the DesMoines gun show next weekend at the fair grounds. Just wondering how big this show usually is and if you guys thought there would be a lot of Ar-15 no ban stuff?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The D.M. gun show  has AR, AK,etc. stuff.Lots of tables and spectators.Don't know about prices though.I'll be there on Sat.
As of the 14th, I can show off the AR-15 I built last winter.All legal now! hippie.gif
Cazador2
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The gun show at the State Fairgrounds can be hit and miss depending on what you're looking for.  One thing about the vendors is that they're not about to unload their preban firearms and goodies at no-ban prices as they are into their products too much ($) and will always find someone that lives out in the country that just comes into the big city when the gun show is in town and doesn't know any better as they don't have internet either.  This gun show should be pretty good as we're coming up on the hunting season.  I don't know if I'll be working at that gunshow or if I'll be even able to attend as a curious member of the public.

Now the gunshow at the Fairgrounds in November or December I hope to attend as our Class 3 ffl/SOT Corporation, as well as another, will have some tables set up with various NFA firearms from a Mac-11 to a M2 (Ma Deuce) .50 BMG beltfed machinegun.  The water-cooled machineguns are awesome to look at and one guy took out his water-cooled Browning and Vickers yesterday to get them all checked out for some target practice he had set up for today...Boy Scouts getting to shoot machineguns has got to be worth some kind of merit badge in my book!

I agree with the need for more Glock mags...G17, 19 and 21 for me.  A couple more of the 33 rounders wouldn't be bad either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if any of you guys had much experience with DPMS rifles? The three brands I am most interested in RRA and Bushmaster. DPMS just interested me because of price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome ammo80 (forgot to do that earlier) to the site and the Iowa Hometown forum!  I wished I could help you out on the 3 AR's that you are interested in but I only have Colt's, I've heard good things about all three but post your question on the AR-15 forum and you'll get all kinds of advice.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am pretty pumped for the desMoines show next weekend. I am mainly lokking for an M4 type Ar but I also need some high-cap 10/22 and Glock 17 mags. I sold my post ban Oly Arms 16 in. C.A.R. Monday night when I knew the ban was going to finally sunset for sure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I just seen your post and I'm at our store in Southridge all day today until 2100 tonight, I'll IM you our phone # here so give me a call if you get this.  I've been wondering what's been going on but am too busy to even take a drive over your direction.  I was wondering why I keep calling but there's never anyone there, now I know your phone system is all screwed up.  Good luck on everything that's going on and yes, I do want to hear what's going on.  Talk to you later and keep the chin up!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
As I have a couple hundred ar mags anyway....I do need some g23 mags and maybe some 33rd mags.  I'd like to a 6.8spc, now that you can get new mags for them, but I haven;t seen ammo yet in bulk.  I've had a new lower sitting on my worktable for almost a week now, but have sofar only been able get around to mounting the stick and putting in the mag catch.

Mike

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
W@@W!!  Nighthawk I haven't heard hide nor hair from you in a loooong time!  So what's been up?  You must be putting in a lot of hours at work or been on the road a lot, good to see your username again!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't hardly been home all summer, been bounching between here, and Denver and undisclosed points outside of the Country

SeYa

Mike
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I went to the gun show in Des Moines last night and just like I expected there was a LOT of "pre-ban" rifles and mags going for basically the same money as before.  I seen a lot of LE marked magazines/clips for sale but most of them were going for pre-ban prices, I think because the dealers seen a possible way to make more money on their LE magazines that they were now stuck with.  There was an occasional deal here and there on rifles but I'm not in the market for one so I didn't really handle them up close.  I picked up a Winchester marked M-1 Carbine firing pin for a friend and bought a NIW LE Glock 17 clip for $25, NIW Standard Products M-1 Carbine mag and a NIW nomenclature Standard Products M-1 Carbine magazine.  I did go to the darkside and get a Buffalo stick and some kind of bag of mixed nuts (not that kind!) because I was getting hungry.

Overall the show was smaller than usual as far as dealer tables set up and the amount of empty tables, although some of the dealers don't make it in until early Saturday morning anyway.  Nonetheless it was the first gunshow I've been able to go to in a while and was worth my time and $5 to get away from things and be around a lot of other enthusiasts.  If you have went already or are going tomorrow give your $.02 worth on what you though of the gunshow and what you found/bought.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw a stack of AR mags for 8 bucks a pop.  They had no marking on the bottom, and a few had a sticker that read "Colt ar-15" or something like that.  I'm assuming these were USA, as the last time I bought one that had the same exact sticker on it, it didn't work worth a damn.

The interesting thing about it though, of the 8 that were there, one had a Adventureline floorplate.

Couldn't tell if the mag was legit or not, so I left it.

there were plenty of 30 dollar thermolds and orlites there :)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
bogz I haven't seen you post in awhile, so what's been up?  I don't think I've seen you since one of the Iowegian ARFcom shoots a couple years ago.  Gotta be going as it's time to close the store as the mall is closing.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been a lurker here still...  

Recently joined the Ankeny Ikes club, which is okay (only 100 yards).

Does anyone have a good local source for 30 rounders?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I added a Phantom 5C1 to my muzzle and a 6-pos collapsible stock.  I bought 10 NIW Labelle 30 rounders about a week before the sunset at $175 shipped.  A good price IMO.  My local dealer (a very nice guy) is selling LEO mags for $25.99.  He ain't sellin' them to me.  I've gotten some other stuff from him that was more than reasonable, but his mag prices are ridiculous.

The only other local source for mags is a military surplus dealer in Marion.  He's selling good condition USGI's for $16.50.  Both 20 and 30 round.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top