Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2005 6:45:53 PM EDT
My father-in-law's been talking.... Well, actually, he pretty much never shuts up but one of the things he's been talking a lot about is moving to TN (I think he said just north of Nashville). He's currently living in NYC (former Bronx cop) and I thought I'd ask around about decent areas, gun laws, economy for him - whole nine yards.

Talk up your state, folks! What's good, what's bad and where should he avoid if he follows through?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
tennessee is gorgeous, price of living in most parts is good, the only thing i can tell you for sure is to AVOID MEMPHIS LIKE THE PLAGUE. he is talking about north of nashville, which is plenty far from memphis, just DO NOT get sucked in.

overall, the state is VERY gun friendly, plenty of decent ranges, concealed carry is allowed, and class III is good to go.

other than that, i will let some of the northerners chime in.

i can pretty much guarantee you that anyone coming here will not be disappointed.

+1

The farther east you go the nicer the state gets.

There are some fairly thick parts of the bible belt that run through TN though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tennessee is gorgeous, price of living in most parts is good, the only thing i can tell you for sure is to AVOID MEMPHIS LIKE THE PLAGUE. he is talking about north of nashville, which is plenty far from memphis, just DO NOT get sucked in.

overall, the state is VERY gun friendly, plenty of decent ranges, concealed carry is allowed, and class III is good to go.

other than that, i will let some of the northerners chime in.

i can pretty much guarantee you that anyone coming here will not be disappointed.

Fixed it for you. TN is a carry state, concealed or otherwise.

The cost of living down here is nothing compared to what your father in law is paying now. Taxes and insurance are nothing as well.

Like Hank said, avoid Memphis. It is a black hole and no pun intended. Depending on what type of geography he likes, short of the beach, TN just about has it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No it is not...

TN has an “intent to go armed” statute… if you open carry you can be sited at any time at the whim of a police officer, so in effect open carry is not allowed outside your personal property or for hunting.

You must have a permit to legally carry in TN.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it is not...

TN has an “intent to go armed” statute… if you open carry you can be sited at any time at the whim of a police officer, so in effect open carry is not allowed outside your personal property or for hunting.

+1

Open carry in public is a bad idea legaly.

Although I think it should be legal without a permit.

Edited to clarify.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it is not...

+1

Open carry in public is a bad idea

I will not disagree with that. I would not open carry myself, except under very specific conditions.

I guess I should have been more specific, if you have a *permit* you *can* open carry. TN is not strictly a concealed carry state as some are.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 to what Hank wrote

My parents moved here (Nashville area) from Michigan about 25 years ago when I went away to school (yes, they told me before they moved ).  I followed them here and have never even thought about going back to live in Michigan.  Everything is nicer here: people, land, jobs, taxes, gun laws.  

If he stays away from Memphis and doesn't begin every sentence with "Well up in New York we ....." I think he'd be very happy in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, all. I'll pass along the info (and hope he didn't say Memphis instead of Nashville!) He's been pretty good about the whole "in NY we...." stuff although I wouldn't want to be around the first time he gets into an argument about the Mets with a local....

Appreciate the input, guys!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, all. I'll pass along the info (and hope he didn't say Memphis instead of Nashville!) He's been pretty good about the whole "in NY we...." stuff although I wouldn't want to be around the first time he gets into an argument about the Mets with a local....

Appreciate the input, guys!

Whats a "Met"?

Link Posted: 7/17/2005 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Whats a "Met"?

Isn't that what they call their Opry house?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
and  NO STATE INCOME TAX !  (so far)
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it is not...

+1

Open carry in public is a bad idea legaly.

Although I think it should be legal without a permit.

Edited to clarify.

But the good news is that TN is shall issue also we have laws on the books that say the CLEO must sign off on all class III paperwork.  Economy is good our sales tax is kind of high at 9.25% but we have no state income tax and our property taxes are fairly cheap.  Being in the bible belt can be a little rough but for the most part the people are excellent.  I love East TN, as far as I am concerned I could stay here for quite a while.  Baseball isn't very big here just as long as he doesn't put down the Braves he should be ok. I don't know of any place that is as pretty as the mountains in East TN in the fall (outside of the tourist trap).  Good luck I know he won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Open Carry, (with a "Handgun Carry permit"), is local specific.  The state law says Open is fine but many Cities/Counties say otherwise.

BTW, I just got the old 1974 law off the books in my city that Prohibited ALL FIREARM carry.  State has let the locals decide how to handle the "shall issue" laws and carry permits
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Another recommendation for your relative to stay away from Memphis.  Used to be a decent city but is now in rapid decline.  To say the local government is corrupt is the understatement of the century...

If I could get out of this hellhole Memphis & go somewhere else in TN I think I'd go somewhere in the Chattanooga (sp?) vicinity.  I hear they've really cleaned up that city & that it's moving in the right direction economically & demographically.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]
North of Nashville is a place called-KENTUCKY.  Thats where Springer gets all his shows guest from!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys for all the info, I too am thinking of TN. A buddy of mine moved to Rockwood and has very good things to say about the state. I am also from one of "those states" as in NJ and have tried my best to cover my tracks by not mentioning it and learning to talk like the locals. Problem is that now the locals in FL are all from NY and NJ and I am having a hard time finding people that speak with a "twang" and I am reverting back to my old ways!!h
I am happy to hear that TN is a "shall issue NFA" state, I am looking forward to a SBR and Supressor but doubt I will ever be able to afford a FA gun.  How friendly are county ordnances as to shooting on your property ? Many of the local counties here in FL (but not all) have enacted laws that state no firing of guns within county limits unless at an approved shooting range with the exception of hunting. haveI am kind of locked in at my job but we are nationwide, hopefully in the next 6-8 months we will have an opening over there OTHER THAN IN MEMPHIS!!
Rich
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The good news on shooting is that most counties don't have anti-shooting issues. In fact, the state has a few dozen public ranges that are maintained by the state and are available for FREE use by anyone. They don't have matches there, but to plink or sight in a rifle you can't beat it.

Indoor ranges aren't quite as popular as golf courses, but they're fairly common. Most large cities have 3-4, and quite a few towns have their own indoor ranges as well.

I've lived in Southeast Tennessee (Chattanooga) and Middle Tennessee (Franklin) for most of my life. Whenever I've lived elsewhere, I've felt that something is missing. That includes West Tennessee, where the hillbilly in me feels exposed in the flatlands.

Tachyon
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Shoot-N-Scoot...

Tell me is TN mostly a volunteer state ? I came from one and did 8 years in a squad, FL is 98% paid and I can't afford to do paid EMS. Since the closest Volunteer Squad is over 3 hours away I have not been involved in over 14 years! It would be nice to certify again and volunteer in town a night or so a week if we end up moving there.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
North of Nashville is a place called-KENTUCKY.  Thats where Springer gets all his shows guest from!

I believe you are thinking of Arkansas for the Jerry Springer show.

Ashamed to say, that as a native Tennessean, we spawned Okrah Wimpy

Essayons
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Ashamed to say, that as a native Tennessean, we spawned Okrah Wimpy

Thankfully, you're misinformed.  Winfrey was born in MS.  She moved here at age 14.  Her dad still operates a barbershop in Brentwood.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#22]
yeah I know, I lived in MS for 7 years as well...but I remember her going to college there in Nashville and starting out on the newscasts...then just kept moving on to millions of $$'s.

Essayons

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
GOD LORD ALMIGHTY TELL HIM TO GET OUT OF NYC NOW.....ive been in dc for the summer and seriously i miss the people back and the way we treat others back down south
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top