Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 9:25:00 AM EDT
I just moved to AL, as a new resident with a new AL driver license. Had to turn in my GA drivers license. My GA CCW is good for another 4 years. Will AL recognize it or will they be pissy about the matter since Im no longer a GA resident and make me get an AL CCW?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
While I'm not a lawyer in my experience once you moved out of state you changed your official residence. In doing so you are now not eligible for a Georgia Weapons Permit. I would think that it died once you changed states. If I were you I'd find out what the process is for an AL CCW. GA has reciprocity with AL, so you'd still be good to go.

For the final word try calling the probate court in GA who issued you the Permit in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
GA doesn't have a non-resident license. You gotta get one in Alabammy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been years since I lived in AL and had a permit there, but the permit issuance and fees used to be up to the sheriff of each county. I think the sheriff of my county charged $5 and was of the opinion you ought to have to have a permit to NOT carry a gun.  I filled out the very basic application and got a phone call within a week to come down and pick up my permit.

Be careful carrying in your vehicle until you have a permit.  I think AL is/was a bit more restrictive than GA on "peaceable journey" or your car being an extension of your home.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Your GA CCW is still good and yes AL does reconize it. I have my GA CCW but being in the .MIL I get stationed at places like TX, KY my permit is still good due to the fact that hese states honor each others permits. I have to get my GA one renewed when I get home on leave after I come back from Afghanistan later this year as my expired last year while I was in Iraq. Right now i have my TX CCW and just got my KY CCW. Now that you moved out of state for good and I take it you will not move back to GA then after it expires you can not get another one unless you move back to GA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not sure I agree with that.  I would definitely check with the probate court.  I think military people are exempt from needing a CCW/GFL and can live in multiple states and still claim their original residency (state where their permanent address is).  

I would rather have you check and make sure, then find out the hard way.  But getting a permit in AL can't be hard.

Quoted:
Your GA CCW is still good and yes AL does reconize it. I have my GA CCW but being in the .MIL I get stationed at places like TX, KY my permit is still good due to the fact that hese states honor each others permits. I have to get my GA one renewed when I get home on leave after I come back from Afghanistan later this year as my expired last year while I was in Iraq. Right now i have my TX CCW and just got my KY CCW. Now that you moved out of state for good and I take it you will not move back to GA then after it expires you can not get another one unless you move back to GA.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Ill be damned.  I checked with the SO, and they say its good until it expires.

I also looked around on USACARRY, and their info agrees with my SO.  For the USACARRY site it appears that some states are different though, while AL will recognize a GA CCW on a non-GA resident, FL only recognizes a GA CCW if you are a GA resident.  FL seems to be one of the exceptions, most states do not appear to do it like FL does.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I also looked around on USACARRY, and their info agrees with my SO.  For the USACARRY site it appears that some states are different though, while AL will recognize a GA CCW on a non-GA resident, FL only recognizes a GA CCW if you are a GA resident.  FL seems to be one of the exceptions, most states do not appear to do it like FL does.

Well good to know and I know I was pretty sure about it because i was called out on it a while ago and and ended up making the other party eating thier words. Like I posted earlier I always keep my GA CCW as it is good at all the places I get staioned at and I never have a problem. I just need to get home when I get back and get it renewed as soon as I can. I know I am going to have go through the whole thing again since it expired last year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I just moved from AL. to GA. so the situation is vice versa . Do the permits work the other way around? Can I live in GA. with a GA drivers license and still keep my AL CCW until it expires?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#9]
See my post in thins thread. bottom line no one here can answer your question with any certainty. Best guess is to call BOTH issuing offices.

I'm still going to go with no regarding the permit issue though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The code says you have to be a resident to apply but doesn't address moving out of state.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just moved to AL, as a new resident with a new AL driver license. Had to turn in my GA drivers license. My GA CCW is good for another 4 years. Will AL recognize it or will they be pissy about the matter since Im no longer a GA resident and make me get an AL CCW?

I'm gonna go with this.....  since you are no longer a resident of GA your GFL/GWL is no longer valid. Just the same as your GA drivers license not being valid the minute you became an AL resident.

Sure, you could probably get away with it depending on the officer, but why take the chance?  I just don't see how the risk is worth the reward..........
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SO= Sheriff's Office?

How many times do you leave their jurisdiction?  Check with the AL attorney general's office.  Personally i would deal with the half day hassle and pay less than $100 to know i was legit for the next 4 yrs.  How cumbersome is the AL CCW process?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You can get a CCW from AL. in  matter of 10 min. And, it's only $20.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top