Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2003 3:11:45 PM EDT
Is it open???

My range at the blue and gray is having the kids shoot in the morning, so I may try an hit swan creek...

Do they still require hunting liscense to shoot there??? Isn't that unconstitutional anyways??? Does everyone have to have one, or just one of the party members??? What if I don't hunt and woudl just like to target shoot???

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:42:44 AM EDT
Sorry if this message is a bit late, but the Swan Creek range is currently open, and a hunting license (or WMA permit?) is required to shoot there. As far as I know, everyone in the party needs a license. I don't hunt either, but I went ahead and got a hunting license when I started shooting there because I've been told that WMA officers occasionally check shooters for licenses (I've never been checked, though). As far as being constitutional, that's questionable, but so are many other laws concerning private ownership of firearms.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:15:25 PM EDT
just out of curiosity what is the punishment if you don't have a license? i do but no one has ever told me the penalty.

mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:05:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2003 5:07:09 PM EDT by mbuc]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
just out of curiosity what is the punishment if you don't have a license? i do but no one has ever told me the penalty.

mike

I've wondered the same thing myself. I've never seen it printed anywhere or heard it otherwise. The fact that someone has a hunting license doesn't make them a safe shooter, and this is obvious if you hang out at Swan Creek very much (assuming that most of the shooters there are even licensed). I've left the range early on several occasions because of unsafe shooters on nearby lanes.

OK, enough preaching. We now return this thread to its original purpose. . .
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2003 4:07:44 PM EDT by Rick03a3]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

mike

I think the fine is the same as getting caught hunting without a license. Don't quote me on that though.

$16.00 a year is a real cheap price to pay for a somewhat decent place to shoot. I don't hunt either, and haven't in over 25 years, but I still buy the license to help fund the range.

All persons in the party must have a current license or WMA Permit. This is the requirment at all of the state funded ranges.

I've been checked for my license 2 times while shooting at Swan. I know of 2 guys receiving a written warning there and I know of one receiving a verbal warning at Gadsden. Mostly I think the Rangers just want to see what everyone is shooting:)

Rick
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:53:14 PM EDT
it is a 150 dollar fine.
Top Top