Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:55:12 PM EDT
And can you cut carbon fiber with one?

I have a rifle length carbon fiber float tube from somewhere...cant' remember the company, but it's black and has kind of a checkered pattern on it. I'd like to whack this down to carbine length and use it on my lightweight build, if that's possible. I figured band or table saw would be the way to go. I could probably hack saw it, but given my very limited ability to work complicated machinery , I'm skeptical of me cutting it straight.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:38:13 PM EDT
I'm not familair with cutting carbon fiber, but I imagine a metal or vinyl-cutting blade on a compound miter saw would work? I've cut all sorts of stuff in mine. I'm in Richmond and have a metal, masonry, and vinyl-cutting blades for my saw.

It looks like these things are about $30-$40. You may also just sell yours and buy another one if you're not too comfortable with cutting it. Good luck!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:09:12 PM EDT
I've got a tube that sounds like it's just like yours.

IIRC, tube was ~100 (or a bit more)

I tapped it for a bipod stud. Company (name escapes me now) said that someone had tapped his for a stud out there (california 3gunner) and it has been holding for several years now.

Anyway, the stuff should cut easily.

Maybe a pipe cutter could keep it at 90 degrees. even just scoring it might give you a more finished cut?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kdmoore:
I've got a tube that sounds like it's just like yours.

IIRC, tube was ~100 (or a bit more)

I tapped it for a bipod stud. Company (name escapes me now) said that someone had tapped his for a stud out there (california 3gunner) and it has been holding for several years now.

Anyway, the stuff should cut easily.

Maybe a pipe cutter could keep it at 90 degrees. even just scoring it might give you a more finished cut?

yep..sounds like the same one I got...it was $100. I drilled the bipod stud myself...the material was kinda mushy once the drill started to work...not a very clean hole, I had to clean it up some.

A pipe cutter might not be a bad idea, the more I think about it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:50:24 AM EDT
I believe you need high speed and very sharp instruments to cut carbon fiber tubing....

Nothing fancy, but I believe a bandsaw or a mitre saw with a fiberglass cutting blade would be ideal.

Might check out in the GD open forum for more ideas....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:59:11 AM EDT
Also, make sure to tape over the line you are going to cut it should help to reduce splintering a little.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:14:31 PM EDT
Where in VA are you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:21:37 PM EDT
I have no experience whatsoever with carbon fiber, but I recall an old thread on this site in which a number of members stated that inhaling carbon fibers during machining of something made from them was pretty dangerous.

You might want to do a little research and see what safety precautions, if any, need to be taken.

FWIW
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:33:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 199:
I have no experience whatsoever with carbon fiber, but I recall an old thread on this site in which a number of members stated that inhaling carbon fibers during machining of something made from them was pretty dangerous.

You might want to do a little research and see what safety precautions, if any, need to be taken.

FWIW

I vaguely remember something about this as sell. I would imagine using a pipe cutter woudn't involve much dust, if I went that route. Only problem is, don't know anyone with a pipe cutter that big.

Now, if I could remember who made the damn thing, maybe I could just send it back to them and get it done...

Well, a little more googling is in order.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:50:15 AM EDT
I've solved my problem...it's a Clark Custom tube, and for the cost of return postage, they'll cut it down to whatever length I need. Cool!

This will make an awesome tube for my ultra lightweight carbine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 2:55:31 PM EDT by kdmoore]

Originally Posted By kdmoore:
Company (name escapes me now) said that someone had tapped his for a stud out there (california 3gunner) and it has been holding for several years now.

Originally Posted By Fenian:
yep..sounds like the same one I got...it was $100.

FYI, I just found a link to the one I got. Pricing was about the same, IIRC. Little differences with the nut. Here's a link company name is hiperform
Top Top