Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:39:16 PM EDT
..what the hell they were moving down highway 25 through Monticello yesterday (Wednesday 9-16) in the afternoon during rush hour?  Looked like some kind of a big tank.  Big enough to have the state patrol block off intersections so they could get it through.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Nuclear waste?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I seen something like that a few years ago going west on I-94 past Albany. I assumed based the size it was a M1 Abrams. Thing was huge. Was it wrapped in a tan color tarp?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nuclear waste?

don't they have to store all waste on site?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Nuclear waste?

don't they have to store all waste on site?  

Beats me.  I was just throwing a guess out there.  Didn't occur to me to ask if it was like containment-tank shaped or big-gun-goes-kaboom-tank shaped.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It was a huge storage tank of some sort.  It was not covered.  I remember it saying something along the lines of, "Heat Treated.  Do not weld." on the back of it.  

It looks like it came down highway 10, possibly from St. Cloud.  They cut across county road 11 to highway 25 in Monticello.  That is where I had fun sitting behind this thing as they maneuvered it onto 25.   They kept heading south on 25 towards Buffalo.  Don't know where it was actually heading.  It must have been pretty damn important to get where it needed to go if they couldn't wait until the later hours to move it which is when they normally seem to do that.  I'm guessing getting the permits and clearance to move something like that, especially during rush hour, is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
New douche bag for Rosie o'Donnell?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was a huge storage tank of some sort.  It was not covered.  I remember it saying something along the lines of, "Heat Treated.  Do not weld." on the back of it.  

It looks like it came down highway 10, possibly from St. Cloud.  They cut across county road 11 to highway 25 in Monticello.  That is where I had fun sitting behind this thing as they maneuvered it onto 25.   They kept heading south on 25 towards Buffalo.  Don't know where it was actually heading.  It must have been pretty damn important to get where it needed to go if they couldn't wait until the later hours to move it which is when they normally seem to do that.  I'm guessing getting the permits and clearance to move something like that, especially during rush hour, is a lot of fun.

Fact - during WWI the British called their newly developed anti trench weapon a water tank so nobody would suspect the large load was a weapon.  The name tank stuck.  If it looked like a starage tank, maybe it was an M-1.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
boiler?

heat treated do not weld would make me think its something that will be under pressure.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]

bah double tap

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New douche bag for Rosie o'Donnell?

I was going to say something to hold all the hot air coming from Franken.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure what it is for, but I saw it sitting on a rig to be shipped out of St Cloud.  It was manufactured at DCI Inc. in St. Cloud.  They make stainless steel tanks for dairy, pharmacutical, chemical industry.   That was a hell of a big tank to be going down the road.  I would have liked to see it make some of the turns it would need to in order to get to the interstate.

http://www.dciinc.com/
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
How long was it? A buddy of mine, his dad owns a trucking company(that he drives for) that gets contracts like that. Longest load I can remember that he hauled was 120'. it was it was a windmill base They haul tons of those windmill parts for GE.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]
lm glassfiber makes windmills up here in grand forks across the interstate from school, they have real long loads that they send out. the sheer size of one blade is astounding.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#14]
A tank made in St Cloud headed for the east coast, it was in the St Cloud Times on Wensday

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen a few of those. My step dad worked for DPI. They made the biggest milk tanks in the world. I'd have to ask how many gallons.

I re-read the first post.
I thought military tank.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]
in the news article they said they make tanks that hold anything from liters to half a million gallons.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is this it?

No, the one I saw was painted white.  And it didn't seem to be on a trailer either.  It was more or less sitting on dollies and was being towed by a special truck.  They used the dollies to move it off of county road 11 right by the Mississippi river onto 25.  It looks like they could not only turn them independently but also use them to jack the rear up and down to get over obstacles.  I got to watch them clear the lights at that intersection.  Not by choice either.  Unless they were putting it on another rig or trailer I have a hard time believing it was going far.  When they finally got it over 94 and heading towards Buffalo the fastest it was probably going was 30mph.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top