Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 12:48:49 PM EDT
My dad want's to pass on a pistol to me, Colt Trooper MKIII that he was given by a friend from KY.  It was never registered and brought to Michigan.  I don't know what to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No paper required here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would really hate to take the Colt Trooper MKIII to the PD and have them take it for some technicality.  Both my dad and his friend are still alive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The only concern that you have is that your dad got it legally and it was never used in a crime.

Other than that, you are good to go.  No papers required in KY.

Do you have to get it registered in MI?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My dad want's to pass on a pistol to me, Colt Trooper MKIII that he was given by a friend from KY.  It was never registered and brought to Michigan.  I don't know what to do with it.

Give it to me
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, they have to be what they called "safety inspection" where they record the serial numbers.  It was given to him here in MI and no papers were filed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
OMG, ok, crossing michigan off the list of places to live
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on how anal they are, they might try to get it on an interstate transfer violation. KY to MI would require an FFL transfer. Do they require some proof of transfer or do you just walk in and they do the "safety inspection"?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What I have done in the past, when I sold a gun to a friend (just to keep from getting bit  on the butt by "THE MAN") was to make a copy of  both our drivers license's on the same sheet and print up a "bill of sale"  and have both of us sign and date it.  
I keep one copy in my file cabinet at home in case the handgun I sold to a friend ends up in a felony situation.  This way I can show that I did, in fact, sell it (or in your fathers case, gave it away) and am no longer responsible for it.

But then again........I am Paranoid!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top