Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 4:23:32 AM EDT
Hey Folks!

My wife has been watching HGTV and this years dream house is in Asheville, NC.  Besides drooling over the new Dream House she also has an itch to discover North Carolina.  I can't call it, so I thought I'd ask you fine folks who like there.  HGTV had this to say...

"Asheville is a tough one to figure out. It is, on the one hand, a relatively isolated and still small county seat of only 70,000 in the Southern Appalachians. It's the population center of a staunchly Republican congressional district. Its old industries, like furniture and textiles, have faded.

But get out of your car in downtown Asheville on a fall Friday afternoon. There are people out, hundreds of them: mostly young adults, yuppies, hippies, gays and bohemians of every stripe. Scores of offbeat restaurants and outdoor-gear shops and colorfully unpredictable art galleries are open."

What I'm personally looking for is that Country style old fashioned friendliness.  When people used to say "hi" to each other and please and thank you.  Courtesy and manners, not to mention fair gun rights, and just all around nice weather (hopefully).  Anyway I'm not sure what city or county but if you love North Carolina and can't see yourself living anywhere else I'd like to hear why you love it so much.  Thanks for your time.

-Tony & Family
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Asheville is beautiful, it's also expensive and liberal, no matter if it is located in the "population center of a staunchly Republican congressional district".  In short, a nice place to visit, but I'll stay in the Triad
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
NC is full, no longer taking any new residents.

Ah, you might think I'm kidding- but it IS getting crowded here.  Growing faster than the roads and schools can keep up with.

I don't live in Asheville, but I'd suggest reading the link above...

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
NC is full, no longer taking any new residents.

shoot!  Well I guess it's going to have to be S. Carolina
-that was a good read above
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at VA too
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#6]
no matter where you go now in the state, there are libs everywhere. They are like cockroaches down here
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
NC is the place for a bit of the ol school living with what appears to be the last cell of truely good hearted people. That said, the first damn yankee that builds and messes up my view of the mountains will give me a reason to try out that gov surplus MOAB sittin in the shed.  

Carry on....  

F3
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a former SW-MI man.  (See Avatar)  There are many frustrating things about NC.  But all in all it's been a nice place to live.  Been here about three years now.  

I don't know for certain if I will stay when I'm done with school but, there's a good chance of it.  And if I do it will be because of the people of NC not because of the politics.  I've made a lot of good friends.  

First I'll harp on the negatives: (because bitching is what I do best)

One thing to be prepared for are the drivers.  There's a different philosophy down here and it's taking me some time to educate the entire state on the safe yet aggressive "lodge freeway" style of driving.  I'd appreciate some help.  Also be prepared for everything to shut down at the threat of snow.  

While people are often suspect of "yankees," I've been told that were considered "midwesterners" and aren't as suspect.  Depending on where you move there's a good chance you'll be surrounded by people from the Northeast and Ohio.  

The triangle area is growing too fast for the roads and utilities to keep up.  This is technically a red state, but it's not by much, and there are areas where it's a lot like Ann Arbor.  Durham, is like a mini-Detroit.  Libertarians recently lost the numbers they needed to stay on the ballot.    Which is disappointing to me.  I discovered the Religious Left when I moved here.  Labor unions are not as vicious as they are around eastern MI.  You won't have to worry about keyed imports or slashed tires on Senior Citizen voting buses.  

You will no longer be able to buy booze in the Grocery store.  And all of the liquour stores are state run.  

The state income tax is better than MI.  However the sales tax is a little higher, and there are property taxes on depreciable items like Cars.  Also, several areas have taxes on Pets.  Emissions inspections are renewed annually on autos.  Incomes are generally lower but so is the cost of living.  Teachers salaries are MUCH lower than MI.  

The government officials in NC are fairly corrupt.  They are always coming up with new revenue generating ideas that are sold as "for the children" but always end up in the general fund.  And for some strange reason they are trying to spend millions on a rail system to connect Raleigh and Durham, which I suspect would end up like Detroits "people mover."  

NFA ownership is tricky in NC, as you need a sheriff permit for everything.  No corporate/LLC option, so pick you county carefully if you're into NFA stuff.

It is however a beautiful state, with great weather and nice people.  You have a fantastic mix of mountains beaches and flatlands.  (I miss lake Michigan though)  And the food is great.  I'd check out the coast if you get a chance.  

There are a lot of public hunting lands and licenses are CHEAP compared to up north.  The deer are smaller, but almost as plentiful as MI.  There are no pheasants, but there are Quail.  

There is a lot of competitive shooting.  I can find an IDPA or 3 gun match every weekend within an hours drive of RTP.  And you are close (relatively) to the entire east coast.  

Despite my bitching, I really do like it here.  It is a great place.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a native, born and raised here.  In all honesty, my wife and I have talked about leaving.  It is not the state I grew up in any longer.  with the population changing, I am not convinced i want my son to be raised here.  The problem Is simple, this state 20 years ago used to hold itself accountable, if you were a politician, and you screwed up, we voted you out, regardless of party affiliation.  We left you alone once you left office, but you weren't trusted ever again.  Now, the democrats have a decent little racket here, and are essentially allowed to police themselves.  North Carolina is quickly losing it's manners, I have always been impressed with North Carolina's progressive Southern mannerisms, and due to everybody and their grandma's girlfriend moving here, that is all gone.  "out of staters" complain about the drivers, when most people commmuting are from other states(ie, you are screwing up the roads, not us native folk).

North Carolina in the next ten years will have a serious problem with foreigners as well.  Already there are too many here, our economy will not support much more.  If NC loses the housing market there are going to be alot of umemployed non english speakers, and that will lead to serious trouble down the road.  Again, I look at it from the stand point of do I want my son raised here.

Our public schools are a mess, plain and simple, there are just too many kids, and the politicians will not work with the communities to solve the real problems we face.  If you are a teacher, you are told to vote Democrat and most do.  we all know what Democrats do with money, and it ain't for higher learning.  Again, I look at it from the stand point of do i want my son going to these schools?  working where I work, I have noticed more and more Southerners are homeschooling, which means Houston ther eis a problem.

Taxes here are out of control, and with the eminent domain ruling from the supreme court, property ownership, in a growing area of the state, will be at the will of the state and local government.  Think about granny's acreage near the highway, or any rifle range/hunting land within 20 miles of a highway or major roadway.

On a lighter note, we have been thinking of moving to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan or another more northerly state, since they are all down here, might be a decent place to live up there.  

All in all North Carolina is being transformed into a hogdepodge of everything that is bad about everywhere else.  BUt Asheville is a great town!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am a native, born and raised here.  In all honesty, my wife and I have talked about leaving.  It is not the state I grew up in any longer.  with the population changing, I am not convinced i want my son to be raised here.  The problem Is simple, this state 20 years ago used to hold itself accountable, if you were a politician, and you screwed up, we voted you out, regardless of party affiliation.  We left you alone once you left office, but you weren't trusted ever again.  Now, the democrats have a decent little racket here, and are essentially allowed to police themselves.  North Carolina is quickly losing it's manners, I have always been impressed with North Carolina's progressive Southern mannerisms, and due to everybody and their grandma's girlfriend moving here, that is all gone.  "out of staters" complain about the drivers, when most people commmuting are from other states(ie, you are screwing up the roads, not us native folk).

North Carolina in the next ten years will have a serious problem with foreigners as well.  Already there are too many here, our economy will not support much more.  If NC loses the housing market there are going to be alot of umemployed non english speakers, and that will lead to serious trouble down the road.  Again, I look at it from the stand point of do I want my son raised here.

Our public schools are a mess, plain and simple, there are just too many kids, and the politicians will not work with the communities to solve the real problems we face.  If you are a teacher, you are told to vote Democrat and most do.  we all know what Democrats do with money, and it ain't for higher learning.  Again, I look at it from the stand point of do i want my son going to these schools?  working where I work, I have noticed more and more Southerners are homeschooling, which means Houston ther eis a problem.

Taxes here are out of control, and with the eminent domain ruling from the supreme court, property ownership, in a growing area of the state, will be at the will of the state and local government.  Think about granny's acreage near the highway, or any rifle range/hunting land within 20 miles of a highway or major roadway.

On a lighter note, we have been thinking of moving to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan or another more northerly state, since they are all down here, might be a decent place to live up there.  

All in all North Carolina is being transformed into a hogdepodge of everything that is bad about everywhere else.  BUt Asheville is a great town!!!!!!

What info scout said.  Asheville is great.  I grew up there and left when I was 26 to move to Charlotte.  Asheville is great to visit, but I could never live there.  Wiccans, lesbo's , queers and freaks of all sorts.  I hate this state and most things about it these days.  High taxes, corrupt politicians ( Democrats ), Hispanics coming in in waves due to the current policies of corrupt politicians trying to buy votes (Democrats).  Mecklenburg County (where Charlotte is located) has become the most taxed county in the most taxed state in the south.  Spend your money and energy elsewhere.  If you want to move to this area consider SC, GA, VA or TN.

I have my sights on ID, WY or MT and will move there someday.  Hopefully very soon.  

SM
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
South Carolina is much more gun friendly and conservative than NC!

Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg and Charleston are all nice places to live.

East Tennessee is another nice place to live.

Look elsewhere than NC.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Top Ten Reasons I love North Carolina:
10: I can buy beer at 9am on a Sunday (If I get the urge that is)
9: Exclusive mountains to exclusive beach resorts in a day
8:Four real seasons
7:My parents (ie inheritance) are readily available.
6:Widely accepted CHL
5:Still some Honest-to-God conservatives around
4:  There's still space, and by space, I mean acreage
3:Proximity to cheap South Carolina gas
2: Proximity to South Carolina girls
and....
1:  Its not california, NY, or DC

there's more of course, but those are the highlights.  There are downsides, but from what i've seen of the country and world in my short stay here, its hard to top the sum of NC's parts
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd echo what others say about NC.

Taxes are too damn high, corrupt politicians, etc.

Consider the mtns in the upstate of SC.  Very nice there, lower taxes, etc.

Lex
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]
That dream house is mine people so don't bother entering the sweepstakes. Anyway, if you want to come here just be prepard for the things I mentioned in the other thread. Property taxes are being re-evaluted this year too and the projected hike will be around 40%. That's due to this place relying on all the artsy bullshit and tourism that don't pay any or enough taxes instead of true jobs such as manufacturing. That's what will kill this place in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Top Ten Reasons I love North Carolina:
10: I can buy beer at 9am on a Sunday (If I get the urge that is)
9: Exclusive mountains to exclusive beach resorts in a day
8:Four real seasons
7:My parents (ie inheritance) are readily available.
6:Widely accepted CHL
5:Still some Honest-to-God conservatives around
4:  There's still space, and by space, I mean acreage
3:Proximity to cheap South Carolina gas
2: Proximity to South Carolina girls
and....
1:  Its not california, NY, or DC

state law says no alcohol sales before 12 noon on sunday. what store you buying it at?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#17]
walmart in sylva, used to get brews all the time there after breakfast at the local greasy spoon.  maybe i dont remember, or my clock was off
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Second what others have already said...  our state is now full.  Please, kindly look elsewhere.

We don't need "educating" in anything, thank you very much.  If you don't like our "philosophy,", driving or way of life, you should know that I-95, US 1 and I-77 all have northbound lanes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Second what others have already said...  our state is now full.  Please, kindly look elsewhere.

We don't need "educating" in anything, thank you very much.  If you don't like our "philosophy,", driving or way of life, you should know that I-95, US 1 and I-77 all have northbound lanes.

Ooohhhh.  Hit home on the bad driving thing?  This could be fun.  

I have no problem with anyones way of life as long as it doesn't impact mine.  I'm not suggesting anyone change there philosophy of life so don't bring that into this.  The driving thing does impact me.  I waste a good portion of my life behind bad drivers.  I've lived in a few areas that were "melting pots" like the triangle, and thus far this one is the worst (driving wise).  Believe it or not, we're a pretty mobile society, and lots of states are swapping residents.  It's not just NC that's changing it's face.  Talk to the AZ or NV crowd about it.  For them it's california and mexico.   Back home it was Illinois/Chicago that was invading.  

So here's the things that drive me nuts that seems to characterize this area.  

1) The worst is when you're waiting to turn left at a red light. When the light turns green, a considerate person pulls out into the intersection to get ready to complete the turn.  If there's room, pull far enough out so that the person behind you can get move into the intersection too.  That way, if the light turns red before you get a chance to move, you can complete the turn before cross traffic begins.  And if you're out far enough, the guy behind you can complete the turn too.  However, I spend a lot of time waiting for lights to cycle through time and time again for someone to finally get out of my way.  I sat behind someone for three cycles once waiting for them to move.  This is the only place I have ever encountered the reluctance to move into the intersection.  And yeah, I've been a passanger in cars driven by NC natives who refuse to show a little courtesy.  

2)  On ramps to highways are also called "acceleration lanes" designed for drivers to speed up and match the speed of highway traffic so that they can merge smoothly into traffic.  NOT, for people to coast to the bottom and stop while waiting for traffic to clear.  

3)  It's rain.  Not ball bearings.  There is no reason to drive 30 mph under the limit just because it's raining.  If people can maintain the limit on icy, snowy highways elsewhere in the world, people here ought to be able to maintain speed in a light rain.  Then again, I've seen the accidents.  

4)  I understand that there are northbound lanes, but I probably won't ever move north.  Maybe further south, or west, but not north.  Which brings us to the Left Lane.  The left lane is the "passing lane" designed for faster traffic to pass people in the right hand "travel" lanes.  There is no excuse for driving sub-speed limit in the left hand lane.  You are not the pace car and it's not a race.  If there are more than four cars backed up behind you, it's time to move over.  

5)  There is no requirement to come to a complete stop before turning off of a roadway.  It's okay to maintain a little forward momentum around a corner.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe it's us "out of staters."  And yet everyone else who does all of these things, just chooses to congregate in the Triangle.

Well, that ought to stir something up.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey Wolfie,

You know, I worry about you.........
1) you like pulling people's teeth
2) sounds like you have some issues with aggressive driving
3) you seem to like to number your paragraphs, which point to a possible compulsive disorder.

Maybe you should speak with a professional, someone who can help you work out your issues.  As Freud (I know I spelled it wrong) would say......."Tell me about your childhood........"

It's all in jest, brother, it's all in jest.......Welcome home to North CAkalacky!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, probably should speak to a professional...  I already knew I was a little off.  But pulling teeth?  Who wouldn't enjoy that????

I have been known to enjoy stirring things up.  

Like I said, I really do like NC.  And thus far it's been a wonderful place.  There are aggravating things about most places.  And if you focus on them, it'll drive you nuts.  I could go on a LOT longer about the things that drove me nuts about Michigan.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey Folks!

My wife has been watching HGTV and this years dream house is in Asheville, NC.   Besides drooling over the new Dream House she also has an itch to discover North Carolina.  I can't call it, so I thought I'd ask you fine folks who like there.  HGTV had this to say...

"Asheville is a tough one to figure out. It is, on the one hand, a relatively isolated and still small county seat of only 70,000 in the Southern Appalachians. It's the population center of a staunchly Republican congressional district. Its old industries, like furniture and textiles, have faded.

But get out of your car in downtown Asheville on a fall Friday afternoon. There are people out, hundreds of them: mostly young adults, yuppies, hippies, gays and bohemians of every stripe. Scores of offbeat restaurants and outdoor-gear shops and colorfully unpredictable art galleries are open."

What I'm personally looking for is that Country style old fashioned friendliness.  When people used to say "hi" to each other and please and thank you.  Courtesy and manners, not to mention fair gun rights, and just all around nice weather (hopefully).  Anyway I'm not sure what city or county but if you love North Carolina and can't see yourself living anywhere else I'd like to hear why you love it so much.  Thanks for your time.

-Tony & Family

Sorry Pal:

My Wife is all set to move in that House lol

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
state law says no alcohol sales before 12 noon on sunday. what store you buying it at?

The Smokebomb Hill Shopette on Bragg sold alcohol 24/7.  Have a 24-hour Burger King there too.  

That house is in Lake Lure, NC (Rutherford County).  We're about an hour drive from Asheville.  The gays haven't made there way down here yet.

Things are really changing around here.  Textiles are gone and it seems like all jobs revolve around home construction.  Unemployment is up and it seems that the local GOV is working to keep business away.

Lots of Half-backs from Florida are coming here.  Retirees out the ying-yang.  Life is a lot slower here than in the Triad or around Charlotte.  Not near as many jackasses here either.    Our driving problems are the occasional ice patch or funeral procession.  

Land is REAL expensive around Lake Lure, but it is real reasonable everywhere else.  We own a 3000 square foot house on 110 acres and we're not rich by any means.

Golfing is picking up again.  The Country Club across the street is under new management and is finally turning into something. There's a Palmer course in the works in our neighboring county (Polk) so we'll get even more out of state-ers in the next few years.  It'll be about 10 minutes from my house, so give me a shout if you ever come out to try it out.

We have a 600-yd range that hosts BR and other shoots.  A cowboy town that hosts SASS and 3-gun comps.  Hunting and fishing are another great way to burn some time.  Equine activities are picking up too.  We have 18 horses on our farm right now.  Lots of interest in fox hunting and hunter jumper comps.  

All in all, I'd describe this area as relaxing.  Which is fine by me.   If you want something a little more fast paced, Greenville/Spartanburg, Asheville, and Charlotte are all about an hour away.

Rutherford County, "Small town friendly"

CHRIS

BTW: When we win that house, I'll invite you guys over for some beers and eats.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Folks!

My wife has been watching HGTV and this years dream house is in Asheville, NC.   Besides drooling over the new Dream House she also has an itch to discover North Carolina.  I can't call it, so I thought I'd ask you fine folks who like there.  HGTV had this to say...

-Tony & Family

Sorry Pal:

My Wife is all set to move in that House lol

You know, I don't really like that house that much. Too over done, too much tough to heat airspace, too open for my tastes. I bet it'd be a bitch to maintain and keep clean.

Of course I entered to win. I figure I can always sell it to some left coast gay/lesbian/liberal/wiccan since it is just outside Asheville. Then I can take the money and build a decent house somewhere far, far, away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually, you are wrong.  It is considered rude in the south to block an intersection.  As a matter of fact, once upon a time you could get a ticket for that if you were caught in an intersection when the light turned red.  Maybe it wasn't ever like that in Michigan, but it was here. Sorry.
And most of those sorry drivers are from out of state.  Retirees.  
And yes, I don't doubt they congregate down around the capitol.  Cary does stand for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees," after all.
It's also considered rude to "like to stir things up" just for the hell of it.  Here in the South, especially the mountain South, we call that "courtesy," and it's something we're pretty big on- that and being left alone.  Many of you from up north haven't figured that out either one quite yet- but if you plan to stay down here for real long, I'd probably study on them both.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, it is rude to block an intersection, by sitting there like a lump watching the light turn while the rest of traffic backs up behind you.  I don't block intersections, just move out far enough to initiate the turn.  I'm not in anybody's way.  You see, when the light turns, you complete the turn and get out of peoples way.  Traffic slows, or stops when the light turns yellow, giving you plenty of time to clear the intersection.  Then, at least someone makes it through the light.  But nice try.

And your saying, that every other area sends all of there bad drivers to the triangle?  Is this a conspiracy?  Best keep quiet about it, or the men in black will come and haul us away now that we're on to them.  

"Stirring things up" is ubiquitous.  No matter where your from.  And this is the internet where a good arguement makes for interesting conversation.  It's certainly not the place to be left alone.  I've met rude northerners, and I've met rude southerners.  The "north" certainly doesn't hold a monopoly on ^$$holes.  

You can lump "northerners" together as all the same, and you can resent us all.  I personally don't care.  Somehow, perhaps by the grace of god, I think I'll survive without your respect or admiration.  However, it's interesting, that back home we always had a dislike for the "abrasive North-Easterners."  We never saw ourselves the same as say New Yorkers, not to say that we disliked them all, but they certainly had there stereotypes.  We also had a dislike for FIPS (F'n Illinois People), and they were less than an hour and a half away.  But here, we are lumped together.  So, Massachusetts is the same as Michigan right?  Tell me more?    
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
tell you what wolfie, you help me with a fal build, and help me get into high power rifle shooting, which I am ready to do (my 20 inch hbar finally has a three slot flash hider---thanks red), and you can make me an honorary michigan guy, me I will get you into some serious Southern cooking, bring the beer for the fal build, and explain how awesome Robert E. Lee is, and I will make you an honorary Southerner.  

Then to qoute Doc Holliday, "we can all be friends again!"  who was a rabid, cantankerous, rabble rousing, Southern Dentist turned gambler and general pisser offer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
tell you what wolfie, you help me with a fal build, and help me get into high power rifle shooting, which I am ready to do (my 20 inch hbar finally has a three slot flash hider---thanks red), and you can make me an honorary michigan guy, me I will get you into some serious Southern cooking, bring the beer for the fal build, and explain how awesome Robert E. Lee is, and I will make you an honorary Southerner.  

Then to qoute Doc Holliday, "we can all be friends again!"  who was a rabid, cantankerous, rabble rousing, Southern Dentist turned gambler and general pisser offer.

Doc Holiday has always been a hero of mine.  

Hmmm...  I'm not much good for building Fal's or Highpower.  3 Gun and IDPA, I can do.  I can get you on to the 300 yd. range at DPRC to practice for Highpower.  I'm always glad to help, but I wouldn't be much good other than a set of hands.  The lower on the fal is a snap.  The upper and barrel require tools I don't have.  I'll tell you what, next time I'm back home I'll bring back a couple cases of Bell's and a copy of Escanaba in the Moonlight.  

No doubt about Robert E. Lee's greatness.  I've seen God's and Generals.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I prefer SC.  Less northern, liberal transplants
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
There is just something wrong with having Ronald Reagan's picture superimposed upon a red background, but then, I am an 80's guy!  Now where is my Bryan Adams cassette tape?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
My take on NC is tainted by the fact I fled MA for here.  I do notice that the state seems to have changed a bit since I was stationed down here in the mid 90's.  I do love it though.  Friendly people, beautiful weather, and way more conservative.  I wish it was more conservative, that's why I'll be buying my house in SC.

I do dislike the people that come here from NY, NJ, MA, MI, etc, and want it to be "Just like home".  If you liked home so much, why did you leave?  I seem to notice the silent protest of Northerners driving for years with their home state plates.  Especially New Yorkers.  Never mind the 300,000+ illegal mexicans here.  Your tax dollars support them more and more.

I also feel bad that the Southern Migration is changing the land.  The fast pace of developent is leaving cookie cutter developments, strip malls, and little original character.  My goal is to find an older home, on a decent sized lot, and fix'r up.  I like rural.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#33]
2111- your kind we don't mind at all- especially if you still do any work in your old MOS!  You ever work with any of the folks over at PW or WTB, or did you stay around Jacksonville?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#34]
For the record.  I made a barb about drivers in NC.  I assumed that anyone who looked at that comment would realize it was a joke, and if you took it personally.  I'm sorry.  At no time, did I express a desire to make NC more like Michigan.  There are a lot of reasons why I left.  There are things I miss about home, but I've never made any bones about the fact that I don't want to go back.

The guy who started this post asked about living NC, and he was from Michigan.  Therefore, I made a list of comparisons and pointed a few of the pro's and cons.  That was it, until I was invited to use the Northbound lanes to go back where I came from.  That's the kind of "hospitatlity" that will get an reaction out of me, and it's certainly not the hospitality that I find represents NC.  You read things in my post that weren't there.  And you took what was there out of context and decided to take it personally.  You expect me not to react to that?

For that matter, in the four years that I've been here, I've never made an attempt to change anyones lifestyles, or for that matter criticized anyones lifestyle.  I'm not one to throw stones.  Those of you who know me personally, probably realize that I moved here to participate in the local culture, not to change it.  Those of you who don't know me and choose to get your panties in a twist because I criticized the driving?  Realize that I didn't say anything that hadn't been said already.  

I'm proud of my heritage.  I'm a farm kid from a small midwestern town  And honestly we're a pretty proud and independent bunch.  It pisses me off when people make assumptions about me because of where I grew up.  I'm sure everyone here is proud of there heritage, and I can't blame you.  There are many things I admire about it.  Just realize that nothing I said was an attack on it.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There is just something wrong with having Ronald Reagan's picture superimposed upon a red background, but then, I am an 80's guy!  Now where is my Bryan Adams cassette tape?

It says "Viva la Reagan revolucion!" under it, but you can't really read it.  It's a response to all the commie-loving che fans.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#36]
pisgahrifle, I was pretty much at Camp Swampy, worked in the 3rd eschelon shop there, doing maintenance just up to depot level.  We also had a 2112 to do the work on the Recon battalion toys. Strange enough, the SNOIC when I joined my Reserve unit back in MA is the 2112 in the History Channel show on snipers.  He's the one talking about how they build the rifles and load the ammo. He was Gunny Teischer then.

I still ply my trade every now and then.  Mostly building AR's for friends.  Got the tools, might as well use them.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I have live in the triad area my whole life.  It's OK, but if were to consider moving I would go to east tenn.  It seems pretty cool there.  My parents live there and I visit a few times a year.  Good roads for motorcycles.  Pretty gun friendly as far as I know.  It's getting a little too populated around here for my tastes.  Alot of outsiders moving in which isn't too bad but there is a good deal of illegal ones especially in construction.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#38]
NC is a state best known as a very textile rich state until all of it went away to overseas markets, now with NY being crowded and taxes to high to retire many have moved to florida, and Florida is now to crowded and taxes to high that retirees are looking at NC because of it's weather, taxes ,etc,etc,. Californians are moving here too because of all the above,
I'm a NC STATE lic.Plumbing contractor and do service and repair work for many ,and what I see is N Carolinians are loosing there houses to forclosures due to no work in textiles(which is what N Carolinians have always done) Prime exsample is Fieldcrest Cannon,
workers there worked 30-40 years and then Murdock sells out,bankrupts, and all those retiree lose there retirement, it happens too much here in NC and the only ones benefitting are people that are from places where they bought there houses 50 years ago and sell them for 5 times the amount then move to NC and buy forclosures to rent to poor brokedown N Carolinians that can't get a break , Now weve got Mexican problems and most states have several illegal immigrant officers, but NC has the least in the whole nation.
Textiles are gone , construction is big with the new growth but every one is hiring illegal immigrants,I make good money and am a professional in my trade but I'm doing something wrong because I keep seeing mexicans driving NAVI's etc and I know for a fact that some are illegals, fellow carolinians need to voice out and take a stand, Sue Myrrick is and she's sick of the illegals
I have counted 3 2006 deaths by motor vehicles in NC by dwi Illegals and 2 have skipped town (country)and have not been found yetI love this state but it needs bad help NOW! I can keep going but it's useless!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I lived in NC from 1960-1974.  In 2003, I moved back.  Some areas have changed dramatically with the fall of King Tobacco and the textile mills, the influx of Northerners and their yankee culture.  However, there are still pockets that have changed little since the 1960s.  It just depends on location, location, location.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree , I'm not slamming anyone with moving here! I mean hell come on in to NC , this is America and open from state to state.
My problems are with government I guess and how things are run, I mean we're 20 years behind in everything ! I love it here and probably will never move but I feel sad to see all this beautiful land consumed with roads and house, it's growing really fast, no new factory's to keep up with job loses, George Bush was just here in Kernersville last month talking about new jobs coming but damn! kind of a little late! people I know around here can't find anything.and I hav'nt heard or seen any new company's coming!
I love George and his generous contribution to our country but STOP LETTING ILLEGALS IN OUR GREAT COUNTRY!And end the American blood sucking NAFTA! Charity starts at home, here where we live not in china ,mexico ,taiwan, etc!
If you can't speak or write english you don't deserve a drivers licence or welfare or medicare or foodstamps!I know where some live and i know a company they work for and I know that 2 babies were born out of that duplex last year, who do you think is paying for that! I don't know but there getting help from somewhere, last I cheched my kids cost me $7000 a piece and were born in the hospital, maybe the economy is bad here because there spending it all on this shit that people like me pay taxes for , so other americans can partake in the benifits that really need it instead of people that pay not one penny and come and squat and take away from Us!    sorry all, I guess I'm just venting my fustrations I love NC otherwise!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Sue Myrick is and she's sick of the illegals

Sue Myrick, whose husband runs Myrick Construction Co., got NAILED with having illegals on board, and now she is taking the helm in regards to getting employers to be liable for hiring illegals. What I've seen so far in regards to construction employers, is that a majority employ discrimination, with the minority hiring only good ole white boys, and the majority hiring (illegal immigrant) mexicans for grunt work---and not paying them a damn thing being illegal immigrants.

I've worked with enough crews and companies (as an engineer) to see what is happening in the Charlotte/Piedmont areas. The border needs to be secure, if illegals can run, jump, swim and laugh their way across the border, anybody else obviosuly can.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I’m originally from Fort Wayne Ind. I left to joined The Marines in 83 and after boot and comm. school I got stationed here in NC at Camp Lejune Met my wife on a weekend swoop to High Point to get away from base. But before I got to know my way around this stat I used to say Nc sucked so bad it was keeping Kali from falling off into the ocean But I reenlisted in the Corps  for 4 more but only made it for 2 out of 4 due to being med discharged I moved back here with my wife and I love it here now(except for the taxes ).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I just moved here and I love it...(just the way it is)

The people are very friendly,
the gun laws are great,
and
they realy know how to BBQ

John
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I just moved here and I love it...(just the way it is)

The people are very friendly,
the gun laws are great,
and
they realy know how to BBQ

John

Yes we do.  Thanks for the compliment.

SM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I live just west of Asheville, and love the area. The transplants are killing it, and downtown Asheville is a cesspool. but go eats or west from there and things are good.

Plus, they are opening new ranges on National Forest land
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I go to school at UNCA and love the area. Yes, there are a lot of hippies, but they keep things... interesting (to say the least). All in all it's an excellent mix and I love being here.

My home is about 25 miles west of Asheville and is strikingly different.

I will admit, I am a transplant (from Beirut, Lebanon and before that from Jax, FL). But this area has shown nothing but true genuine hospitatlity to me for the past 5 years.

Just thought I'd share.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I go to school at UNCA and love the area. Yes, there are a lot of hippies, but they keep things... interesting (to say the least). All in all it's an excellent mix and I love being here.

My home is about 25 miles west of Asheville and is strikingly different.

I will admit, I am a transplant (from Beirut, Lebanon and before that from Jax, FL). But this area has shown nothing but true genuine hospitatlity to me for the past 5 years.

Just thought I'd share.

You live in Waynesville?

Howdy neighbor!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I love NC with the exception of the following:

The ever increasing population of the non-White Spanish speakers that are taking over the welfare system here and driving it and out healthcare system into the dirt.

No offense to the good decent Northerners here but those arrogant loud mouthed doodyheads moving in from New York, New Jersey, and other northeastern states with their liberal ideas about how it is better up north. Retire up there you doodyheads we don't want you here!

The fact my tax dollars are being wasted on stupid stuff like ecological studies of the effects of Navy Jet noise on the wild bird populace in Washington and Beaufort Counties. The Navy will figure it out when jet pilots are being taken down by a twenty pound goose with an 10 ft wingspan over an insurgent SAM. Spend the money on our city streets that have pot holes that knock your alignment out of whack.

Or better yet the bridge here in Greenville that crosses a ravine that goes nowhere. Over a million of Pitt County tax dollars were wasted on that piece of shit.

I have lived in other states and I wouldn't trade mine for nothing. They can have their treehuggers in Oregon, their Hasidic Jews in NY, their Arabs in MI, and their Lakota Sioux in SD. I'll take my NASCAR watching, beer drinking, collard green eating, inbred local population anyday over the combined lot of the above. What I love the best though are G.R.I.T.S.(Girls Raised In The South). Tight jeans that show that  cameltoe and cowgirl boots and hats rock!

Edit-Language-u352
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top