Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/8/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT

SENATOR VITTER INTRODUCES S. 2599--THE SENATE VERSION OF
THE "DISASTER RECOVERY PERSONAL PROTECTION ACT OF 2006"

On April 7, U.S. Senator David Vitter (R-La.) introduced S. 2599--the Senate companion bill to H.R. 5013, the "Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006" introduced on March 28, by U.S. Congressman Bobby Jindal (R-La.). This NRA-supported bill would amend federal emergency statute laws to prohibit local authorities from confiscating lawfully owned firearms during times of disaster.

Thirty three states have "emergency powers" laws that give the government permission to suspend or limit gun sales, and to prohibit or restrict citizens from transporting or carrying firearms--something NRA-ILA is working to change. In some states, authorities can seize guns outright from citizens who have committed no crime--and who would then be defenseless against disorder.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Senators and your U.S. Representative, and urge them to cosponsor and support S. 2599, and H.R. 5013, respectively, the "Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006!" You can reach your Senators at (202) 224-3121 and your Representative at (202) 225-3121.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:47:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 1:50:27 AM EDT by kythri]
I don't *THINK* so, but I'm not positive.

I don't see anything in ORS 401 (www.leg.state.or.us/ors/401.html), about it.

401 is listed as:

EMERGENCY SERVICES AND COMMUNICATIONS
MILITARY AFFAIRS; EMERGENCY SERVICES
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND SERVICES

ORS 401.015 says:

401.015 Statement of policy and purpose. (1) The general purpose of ORS 401.015 to 401.105, 401.260 to 401.325 and 401.355 to 401.580 is to reduce the vulnerability of the State of Oregon to loss of life, injury to persons or property and human suffering and financial loss resulting from emergencies, and to provide for recovery and relief assistance for the victims of such occurrences.

(2) It is declared to be the policy and intent of the Legislative Assembly that preparations for emergencies and governmental responsibility for responding to emergencies be placed at the local government level. The state shall prepare for emergencies, but shall not assume authority or responsibility for responding to such an event unless the appropriate response is beyond the capability of the city and county in which it occurs, the city or county fails to act, or the emergency involves two or more counties. [1983 c.586 §1]

I'd imagine if such existed, it'd be here, but, as I said, I'm not positive.

I'm continuing to look.

ETA: That's not to say there isn't a city or municipality ordinance that would do the same thing, however, I'd imagine such an ordinance to be in violation of our pre-emption law, specifically, regulating sales of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:11:18 AM EDT
I dont really think this law is needed. If they would just pay attention to that pesky State Constitution...

Section 27. Right to bear arms; military subordinate to civil power. The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:26:42 AM EDT
I heard about this.
My thoughts: the government will still do whatever they feel like doing when the SHTF!
Question: at what point will you/can you legally shoot a LEO, when/if they are committing a "crime"?

If your town is flooding and a LEO kicks down your door, has no warrent and then trys to take your weapons and force you to go to a concentracion camp (super dome), when can you shoot?

Like these 2 serial rapist they had on the eugene PD, it made me ask myself "can a person legally kill a cop if he is raping some one? (or committing any other serios crime)

I think the bottum line is they'll still steal everyones guns, then you'll have to get an attouney and sue the basterds! (after the fact)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:36:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jimmy_Hoffa:
I heard about this.
My thoughts: the government will still do whatever they feel like doing when the SHTF!
Question: at what point will you/can you legally shoot a LEO, when/if they are committing a "crime"?

If your town is flooding and a LEO kicks down your door, has no warrent and then trys to take your weapons and force you to go to a concentracion camp (super dome), when can you shoot?

Like these 2 serial rapist they had on the eugene PD, it made me ask myself "can a person legally kill a cop if he is raping some one? (or committing any other serios crime)

I think the bottum line is they'll still steal everyones guns, then you'll have to get an attouney and sue the basterds! (after the fact)

In a perfect world the cops would take care of themselves. You know, when the are given an order that is clearly illegal, they should not enforce it and if some do the other cops should deal with it. But that aint gonna happen.
I really hope that I am never faced with the possibility of being disarmed and sent to a "Safe Place". I don’t think I'll go quietly.

Mark.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:51:59 AM EDT

I think that too but I also know that the law is clear. Would be no different than if they came knocking on your door to take turns doing what they want with your mother/wife/daughter. You going to let that happen and then testify in court afterwards? Those that fight the tyranny will be labeled as whacked out nuts. You going to be a whacked out nut or bend to tyrannies will? Either way, if you live you could end up in court so find a good lawyer now.
Top Top