Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 4:19:56 PM EDT
I have to teach a 15 min class/presentation on how to train your dog yourself for a class I am taking.  Anyone know of any good websites were I can get some infomation on this subject?  I have to teach this subject on Wednesday.

Thanks
Ian
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I can give you some of the basics we learned from PetsMart.

1 - Positive reinforcement only.  Reward for positive behavior and don't chastise for incorrect behavior.

2 - Always keep an upbeat, happy tone of voice, even when the dog does not respond appropriately.

3 - Food motivates.  Very small pieces of a soft treat are great motivation for all but the most finicky dog.  Make sure you have water with you and offer frequent hydration breaks.

4 - Don't reward the dog when he or she only responds after repeating the command several times.  Only reward when the dog obeys immediately.

5 - Work with your dog in different parts of the house, and in different environments.  When you are in the yard or on a walk are great times for impromptu lessons.

6 - Use hand signals in conjunction with voice commands, progressing until the dog obeys hand signals without requiring a voice command.  Keep your voice and hand signals distinctive enough so as not to confuse the animal.

7 - Keep the training sessions brief to keep the dog's attention from waning.

8 - Do not use the word NO with your pet.  This word is far too commonly encountered and can lead to unexpected behavior and negative reinforcement in everyday situations.  Examples of better corrective words are "WRONG" and "UH-UH".

These were very effective techniques in getting our dogs trained.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top