Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/5/2013 4:34:52 PM EDT
I had stopped by our gun club this evening and was chatting with one of our members.  This member is a Vietnam vet and a retired police officer.  He donates his time on Thursday evenings teaching rifle marksmanship and safety to Juniors ( 10 - 17 year olds ) as part of our club junior program.

He told me about his recent encounter with a State Trooper.  He was going into the Stewarts Shop in Modena, NY, and as he was going in, the trooper was on his way out.  Our member said, "Good Morning", to the trooper, the trooper responded with "good morning", then looked up at the hat our member was wearing, and with a snide tone, said "nice hat".  Our member was wearing a black ball cap style hat with gold NRA lettering.

Our member conducted his business in Stewarts, walked out, and found the trooper waiting for him.

"Sir, do you have a weapon?"  Our member thought the question odd, and said as much.  They had a discussion on "reasonable suspection" and "probable cause".  Once the trooper saw the retired LEO credentials, it was "have a nice day".  I'm sure us regular schmoes would have faired less well.  Magazine round counts?

I find the encounter disturbing.  Think about a NRA sticker on your car, or a BFL logo.  There is at least one trooper in Ulster County who thinks a pro gun symbol deserves further attention.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Recruited from empire of bloomburgia, downstate bullshit
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate to admit it but I took off my bfl magnet when safe act passed for just this reason.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
FTNYSP warning posted

All happy now
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
-----
View Quote

Wrong forum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
But but but....................they won't arrest anybody or confiscate your guns

Their all on our side
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Just my .02 I would never wear anything related to firearms while carrying. Whether a Trooper or a BG I keep my shit secret.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wrong forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-----

Wrong forum.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-----

Wrong forum.

What's this about?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
A NY court just ruled it is illegal for a police officer to ask during a traffic stop if you are carrying a weapon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A NY court just ruled it is illegal for a police officer to ask during a traffic stop if you are carrying a weapon.
View Quote

Really?  Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just my .02 I would never wear anything related to firearms while carrying. Whether a Trooper or a BG I keep my shit secret.
View Quote

So, forfeit your 1st amendment rights to exercise what's left of your 2nd?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What's this about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-----

Wrong forum.

What's this about?

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Know when OPSEC is more important than politics.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Edited.

What I had intended to say was:

If I choose not to wear something it is not giving up my right, simply being tactful in my use of it. Similar to when you meet someone with a baby - the first amendment allows you to say they have an ugly baby, however I would advise against it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Thought there was no more cop bashing in this forum!!?? Where's a moderator when you need one?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cite?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thought there was no more cop bashing in this forum!!?? Where's a moderator when you need one?
View Quote

Grow a thicker skin.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah this is a total emergency...someone call in air support...

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#19]
My mothers friend who lived upstairs when she was 15 told her that her cousin's friend got hassled by the Police.

The point is, this is not even a first hand "story".
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing on this forum is first hand to anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be if he was the one who had the encounter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think the OP is bashing. I think he is asking a question and trying to stimulate conversation. I think there is a line drawn for cop bashing and he has not crossed it. I'm sure mods are watching......always watching.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And fuck the 1st Amendment. When you carry a gun people tend to listen.
View Quote

I'm guessing that came out wrong.  The first amendment is kind of cool as well.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Really?  Sweet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Sweet!

Not quite, more that it said you must have specific suspicion that the person(s) you've stopped may have a weapon, as opposed to asking as a rule if there are any weapons or using the reasoning that there are a lot of weapons being carried in the area.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-court-of-appeals/1618463.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And fuck the 1st Amendment. When you carry a gun people tend to listen.

May have had a beer or two prior to posting.

All of the amendments are okay in my book.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
shit.  I wear my BFL logo hat daily and usually some sort of firearm related t-shirt 2-3 times a week sometimes. I  have my BFL logo magnet and door magnets advertising my FFL on my truck daily, in  addition to various window stickers from SCOPE, NRA, NYSRP, Gadsden etc.  Never been hassled.

This guy must have run into a real ass.  I won't change anything about my attire in fear of being profiled.  Want to profile me, profile me.  I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My mothers friend who lived upstairs when she was 15 told her that her cousin's friend got hassled by the Police.

View Quote
I understand the sentiment, but this is not a friend of a friends cousin type story.  This was told to me by the guy it happened to at about 6 PM last evening.  If our club member were to create an account here and type it himself, he would be a '13er with a post count of one, which is to say, zero credibility.  And our member is a retired LEO, so I believe him as I can't think of any motivation on his part to make it up.

I think the cop bashing accusation was directed to a post about 4 or 5 after my original post.  Nothing in my OP can be construed as  cop bashing, not even toward the trooper involved.  It was merely a restatement of events.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Knowing the OP and the club well, I can confidently state you are wrong in your ASSumption.

Vly, thanks for posting this, but I ain't taking off my Larue hat.
Too bad about the encounter, one bad apple and all that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Grow a thicker skin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grow a thicker skin.

This.

Honest and tactful criticism of the actions of Law Enforcement should never be banned.  But in order to be respected the LEOs need to return the favor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.

Honest and tactful criticism of the actions of Law Enforcement should never be banned.  But in order to be respected the LEOs need to return the favor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grow a thicker skin.

This.

THIS.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Honest and tactful criticism of the actions of Law Enforcement should never be banned.
View Quote

I agree but that's not what was posted and removed by a mod on page 1.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:01:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grow a thicker skin.

This.

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honest and tactful criticism of the actions of Law Enforcement should never be banned.

Moderator is a good friend, but on this he was a bit over zealous.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It would be if he was the one who had the encounter.
View Quote

For him.  Once you read it, it's second hand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#35]
People need to just take a moment to realize that not everyone is against us and not everyone is for us.    Cop bashing is stupid, they are not our enemy, but I wouldn't consider them friends to our side either.  

My point I guess is that be it law enforcement, military, your church, people at your bingo club or your neighbors, hell even your gun club is going to have people that are against us, just as they might be for us.

I don't know guys my heads all fucked up right now, I'm just saying be smart and don't go thinking one group that comprises tons of people is unanimously for or against us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite?

I don't have the story I usually cite (I may get it later) but here is another:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Ask-Drivers-Guns-NY-Traffic-Stops-Court-Ruling-Founded-Suspicious-184000001.html

"The court majority said police cannot, simply as a protective measure, routinely ask the occupants of a vehicle about weapons, though under established case law officers can tell motorists to get out in order to get a better look at them... The state's highest court ruled Tuesday that police can't simply ask stopped motorists if they have a gun or other weapon but need a "founded suspicion" in order to ask."

In other words, "the safety of the officer" is not a valid reason.

That said, it clearly doesn't stop police officers / JBTs from harassing people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Ask-Drivers-Guns-NY-Traffic-Stops-Court-Ruling-Founded-Suspicious-184000001.html

"The court majority said police cannot, simply as a protective measure, routinely ask the occupants of a vehicle about weapons, though under established case law officers can tell motorists to get out in order to get a better look at them... The state's highest court ruled Tuesday that police can't simply ask stopped motorists if they have a gun or other weapon but need a "founded suspicion" in order to ask."

That said, it clearly doesn't stop police officers / JBTs from harassing people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite?

I cited the courts opinion on page 1. Safety of the officer is a valid reason, but there has to be suspicion that 'criminality is afoot', not merely a routine traffic stop.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt.  

Just saying that me personally I don't respond to a few posters here specifically because they are PD and would cry bashing if confronted on the shit they spew.  I like being on ARFcom and I respect a number of the LEOs that are part of our HTF.  But others can come off as entitled and condescending.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#39]
As a LE member of this site, the best advice I can give to all our fellow NY citizens is:

Don't trust ANY LE Officer unless you know him/her very, very well........like family

Most of us will not enforce this law or even mess with you over it.......and we are as disgruntled as anyone else.

But, you may just run into "Officer friendly" during casual conversation and next thing you know you are in handcuffs because he/she was actually supportive of this law.  You have to keep in mind that LE is a direct reflection of the people in our state........the same people that voted the idiots into office that created and passed this BS law....

........Please, please, keep that in mind and protect yourself accordingly.......I cant stress that enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As a LE member of this site, the best advice I can give to all our fellow NY citizens is:
Don't trust ANY LE Officer unless you know him/her very, very well........like family
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
People need to just take a moment to realize that not everyone is against us and not everyone is for us.    Cop bashing is stupid, they are not our enemy, but I wouldn't consider them friends to our side either.  

My point I guess is that be it law enforcement, military, your church, people at your bingo club or your neighbors, hell even your gun club is going to have people that are against us, just as they might be for us.

I don't know guys my heads all fucked up right now, I'm just saying be smart and don't go thinking one group that comprises tons of people is unanimously for or against us.
View Quote

Ciraxis,
I read your post on GD about your dog. Sorry for your loss. Losing a dear pet sucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bingo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Stop your cop bashing!
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ciraxis,
I read your post on GD about your dog. Sorry for your loss. Losing a dear pet sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ciraxis,

thanks, hopefully my above post comes across ok, like i said my mind is fucked today
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry for your loss my friend.
Prayers sent.

Quoted:

thanks, hopefully my above post comes across ok, like i said my mind is fucked today
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ciraxis,

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Stop your cop bashing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Stop your cop bashing!

I don't think the OP is bashing by any means.....people need to be reminded to not become complacent, and believe that is his point.  There are LEOs that I work with, albeit very few.... Less than 10%, who support the SAFE act, you never know who you are going to get.....and I don't like those odds.

What I stated is reality and sound advice.....YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't think the OP is bashing by any means.....people need to be reminded to not become complacent, and believe that is his point.  There are LEOs that I work with, albeit very few.... Less than 10%, who support the SAFE act, you never know who you are going to get.....and I don't like those odds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Stop your cop bashing!

Sarcasm meter needs calibration my friend.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I cited the courts opinion on page 1. Safety of the officer is a valid reason, but there has to be suspicion that 'criminality is afoot', not merely a routine traffic stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite?

An officer cannot legally pull you over for a routine traffic stop and ask if you have any weapons as a precaution for his own safety.  He needs reasonable suspicion of a crime.

My question for lawyers and LEOs: if an average citizen is pulled over for a routine traffic stop and is asked by the LEO if he has any weapons, how should this person respond?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#48]
We are saying the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Stop your cop bashing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Stop your cop bashing!

Well I don't think you should trust anyone, period.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a first. I've never known anyone to take you seriously.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top