Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2004 8:18:23 AM EST
Yesterday, on my way to the range to enjoy my new rifles, I stopped by Nagel's Gun Shop here in San Antonio to inquire about full capacity pistol magazines, and when they would start selling them. Well, after waiting patiently for about 10 minutes (which is the standard, even if cash is in your hand), I spoke with a guy behind the counter. He made a face, and said that they would have to wait for the ban to expire and then they would have to wait and see what the ATF ruling was on sale of such.

I interjected that the ban had already expired, yet a coworker of his, who was writing up a bill of sale for another customer, said it has not expired. Therefore, I inferred:

1) They did not educate themselves on the ban.
2) They did not plan for the ban to expire, thus not ordering magazines.
3) Even if they had magazines (I would have thought they would have had at least some LEO mags, but don't know for sure, since they keep all of them in the back), because they held firm that the ban had not yet expired, they wouldn't have sold to me anyway.

A fellow in front of me (customer) was looking at a Winchester 1300 Defender. I almost recommended to him that he could buy such at Academy for around $50 cheaper. But that would have been bitchy and vindictive.

However, it really puzzles me as to how a gun store, one of few in San Antonio, does not seek to make sure what it can do, and act accordingly. I was a regular customer, purchasing 2 pistols, 1 rifle, 1 rifle scope and 1 spotting scope and assorted accessories for 5 years now, and not dressed like some street thug saying, "Yo, gimme sum 'dem hi-caps fo' my Glock." I've always been dissatisfied with their customer service, but I had hoped for better.

People, especially stores like Nagels, do complain about how Walmart will undercut them in price for some rifles, shotguns, and such. I'm one that likes to seek out local businesses and support them with my money. Yet, when service is equal to or less than somewhere like Walmart, it reminds me of why I order more and more online.

Well that's it. I wasn't going to say anything since I went on to the range and had a nice day shooting (with the rain holding off until it closed), but when I saw the thread about Carter's Country, it set me off.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:20:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:05:47 AM EST
Z, you forgot #4) They had hi-cap mags, but were determined to pretend the ban was still in effect as long as possible in order to sell those mags at pre-ban prices for as long as possible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:07:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:28:45 PM EST
Nagel's sucks. And don't ever call them on the phone and expect a decent answer. When I did my shotgun pattern thing, I called them looking for Federal LE Tactical 00 Buckshot. They said they had it - I said I'd be there in 30 to guy it - they said they would hold it for me. I got there and not a soul could find the ammo. Couldn't even find anyone who said they talked with me. Customer service is nonexistant there.

Unfortunately, they do have a nice selection of knives.

It doesn't surprise me that didn't know the ban had expired.

Z, you can do much better for yourself by going to Wayne's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:49:38 AM EST
Upon reflection, I can understand CYA when it comes to the Federal Government, but the incident makes it more difficult for me to always choose local first, even over the gunshow.

I didn't/don't have cash in hand to buy 20 Glock 17 mags, but am taking that Karl Rein/Andy Standford class this weekend, and would like to have more than my two preban dropfrees that came with my pistol. I've got some more preban mags (the non-dropfrees) and postban 10 rounders I use for IDPA, but I'd like to train as I would fight. Two more would have been nice.

Now, with folks out there who are price gouging because supply hasn't caught up with demand, I'm going to hold off until the new mags get here. I just hope that we've really won at least for this year, so that we can get what we want and keep fighting for the future.

I did notice, though, that they have some Colt prebans on the wall which, as of Monday, still had $1600 price tags on them. With the mentality there, I wonder if they will ever come down.

Backstop: I tried to find Wayne's one day, but couldn't. Dury's looked pretty nice, but does anyone have feedback there. I'm looking for a new local place.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:07:03 AM EST
I just got some glock 19 15rd mags for $17.95 on the EE board.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:15:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:38:37 AM EST
I have had similar experiences with nagels, and so I avoid going there unless I need some gunsmith work done. While they take forever and it is hard to get someone on the phone to tell you the item is done, I have been pleased with the actual work done. YMMV.

Mike, do Wayne's or Dury's have WC mags (I don't think I have been to either place)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:52:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 11:53:16 AM EST by BlammO]

Originally Posted By texastactical:
You would think that a firearms related business would keep up with firearms news. I like to browse in Nagels but like you said Customer Service sucks and the prices are sky high.

+1

Didn't know about Wayne's. Will have to visit soon. BlammO Jr. loves Dury's, but we haven't bought anything significant there, so I have no opinion of customer service. I have had good experiences at the Powderhorn.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:47:01 PM EST
Thanks, Mike. I'll let them know that I heard it from you (which I did, via your email).
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:24:40 PM EST
Trey, take 410 to Culebra.
Go west on Culebra. I've never clocked it, but for about 3 miles - not too far. Look for the street Pipers Lane. It is at a traffic light. There will be a big sign on the right (at Pipers Lane) with the restaurant name that Mike mentioned above. Turn into the strip mall just before the light. Wayne's is directly behind the restaurant Mike mentioned.

FWIW - as soon as you turn onto Culebra from 410, get into the middle lane. The right lane turns into a "right turn only lane" quickly.

Kinda OT, but I went by Champion Outdoors, I10 and Dezavala today and they are closed! Moved out: lot, stock and barrel.

Map to Wayne's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:13 PM EST
I agree that Nagel's sucks! I went there one afternoon just to browse and I spotted a USED Glock 21C. Just GUESS what they wanted for it................$725 - no joke! I thought they may have mistagged it so the dufus behind the counter went and checked it but nope. I quickly ran away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:04:11 AM EST
I've only been to Nagel's once. That was when I was tring to buy my first AR at 18. Didn't like the place or the people. Been shoping at powderhorn ever since. Least the guys over there are willing to talk to you and explain things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:07:30 AM EST
BTW... Us San Antonio folk need to get together sometime. (Yea I know I'm the worst one about showing up for shoots, damn work.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:29:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sparsky:
BTW... Us San Antonio folk need to get together sometime. (Yea I know I'm the worst one about showing up for shoots, damn work.)

+1

I recommend coordinating something around a Texas Tactical event.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:37:23 AM EST
Thanks for the directions, Backstop. I had a good friend live off of Piper's Creek, so I can now visualize where that is. I thought it was much farther out.

Champion closed here, oh, maybe two months ago. The gunshop on Bandera (where Hoot is from Firearms Training Plusss) is the shop that bought up all their stuff.

I agree that we should get together at a match. I'll wear my AR15.com cap!

I'll have to check out the Powderhorn. I used to live off of Marbach, so it was easy to go to. However, since I live all the way across town, it isn't like I can go by there on the way home like with Nagel's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:29:55 AM EST
Forget Nagels. They all act like they hate their jobs and they wish they were somewhere else. The gunsmiths, Ron and Larry, are well qualified and will treat you right. Never go in for service and just leave your gun with someone at the counter, always ask for Ron or Larry to come out.

Durys is the place now. Johnny or Chad can take care of you and treat you with respect.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:23:11 AM EST

Sparsky shows up more often for Hun Farm stuff than local shoots.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:18:15 AM EST
Wow, guys, it was like night and day yesterday comparing Nagel's and Dury's. I couldn't walk 10 feet in Dury's without someone wanting to help me. Oh, and it wasn't a typical 'can-I-help-you-buy-something-now-so-you-will-get-out-of-my-store-after-giving-me-money' thing, but an honest 'can I help you find what you want' thing.

Obviously, I was a week late on G17 mags, but that's par for the course. They told me they ordered many more, and will just have to wait on Glock. I did get some other supplies, and will go back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:56:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:14:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

Originally Posted By El_Roto:

Sparsky shows up more often for Hun Farm stuff than local shoots.

More Gayness up in the Panhandle...?

TRG

Yea and we all know your the biggest Queer of all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:41:40 PM EST
Ever tried Lone Star Guns?

I haven't been there, but bought an ACOG thru EE from them, and they were 100% on that deal

plus phone calls, verifications, etc.

Seemed like the type I would be OK with if I were local
Top Top