Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:29:26 AM EDT
Leaving for London later tonight, I'll be there for two weeks with the future Mrs (she's going to school out there this semester). Anyways, I need to get directions to LAX from the San Bernardino area. I know I have to get on the 10 West, but after that I am unsure of what's the best route to go (everytime I've been there I didn't drive, so I have a general idea of the directions, just need the specifics). I was going to just Mapquest, but I haven't had the best luck with Mapquest in the past, and this is kind of important, so I wanted to get a more expert opinion on it. Any help would be appreciated, but if all else fails I will just have to rely on Mapquest.

And yes I plan on giving them one hell of a time with plenty of "well that's why we've bailed you out of every major war in the past century." followed with a quick "hey now, you all started a war like that once before with us and we became our own country; let's not do that again." when they try to counter it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
From San Berdo:

10 West.

I'd take the 605 south to the 105 west and take that all the way to LAX. That way you'll
avoid all of the Downtown LA traffic.

There, the 105 has an "LAX Exit"

By the way, I'm right accross the street from LAX...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that's the way I vaugely remember but I couldn't remember what exit it was. Mapquest had me going through all sorts of crazy crap (even a U turn ) and I knew there was an easier way. Now I just need to figure out how to sleep the entire 12 hours of flying so I'm not bored out of my mind and still be able to fall asleep an hour after landing even though I will be fully rested and my body will think it's 4pm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitely go the 105 route. Anything else will be an excercise in frustration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted: Now I just need to figure out how to sleep the entire 12 hours of flying so I'm not bored out of my mind and still be able to fall asleep an hour after landing even though I will be fully rested and my body will think it's 4pm.

While I'm not a really frequent flier like many (thank God!), I travel overseas at least once a year and have since 1981. One thing that I like to do to reduce the effects of jet lag and reset my body clock is to try to sleep on the plane as much as possible. (It's more like just keeping my eyes shut since I have a hard time sleeping sitting up in relatively noisy cramped quarters.) When you are up and about, drink plenty of water. Sitting in a pressurized plane cabin really dehydrates you even if you aren't as physically active as normal.

You're still going to be fairly tired when you land, but you'll probably perk up after getting out of customs and getting to your destination. But around 16:00 local time, you'll start getting tired again. Resist the urge to take a nap. Instead, go for a run or take a walk around the neighborhood or go for a swim or something physically active. Try to stay up until 21:00, then crash. You'll still be w aking up around 02:00 for two nights, but your body clock should be reset much quicker than if you crashed immediatly that first afternoon.

Have fun in the UK!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely take the 605 105.  Park in one of the long term lots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Set your watch to London time as soon as you get on the plane.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Set your watch to London time as soon as you get on the plane.

London(GMT) is +8 hours of PST.

Ditto on the 105 west route.  That was put in there to cut down traffic to LAX.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright, thanks everyone. It's hard to believe that in 24 hours I will be in London. Now I just need to finish getting ready and find something for the plane. I ended up falling asleep early so I am even more screwed. Maybe I can find a boring book or something....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
well I am leaving to my parents house (Mom and sister are driving me there so my brother can use my truck.) and I'll be leaving in about half an hour. Everyone take care, and keep those whipper snappers in line.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

By the way, I'm right accross the street from LAX...

north, south or east of LAX? im just north of it. (but not for long)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
hey, you're going to the safest city on Earth, didn't they ban handguns?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
hey, you're going to the safest city on Earth, didn't they ban handguns?

Yes they did. Even the Police don't carry them here. Also everything American is overpriced (£7 for a package of Oreos = ~$12.50) and the Coke has like 1/3 the sugar so it tastes nearly like Diet. Also everywhere serves Wine and Champagne, and there are American fast food places like KFC, McDonalds, and Pizza Hut that serve high end wine/champagne wit appetizers like tiger prawns and clamari to try and make it high class. There are basically NO weapons here so I can't even window shop for knives or anything like that and in general the place is kind of meh. The war memorials are plentiful and pretty amazing. We are planning on going to the Imperial Museum of War tomorrow after church. I did find out something rather nice the other day: London doesn't have an Embargo like the US does with Cuba, so tomorrow I plan on going out and getting my first Cuban.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes they did. Even the Police don't carry them here. Also everything American is overpriced (£7 for a package of Oreos = ~$12.50)

Hell, you're lucky you can find them at all.  When I was living there in the early nineties my parents used to send me Oreos in care packages.

BTW, if you shop around you will find that everything British is basically overpriced in the US.

There are basically NO weapons here so I can't even window shop for knives or anything like that

Hmm, there are some neighborhoods in the West End with shotgun shops, next door to the fancy haberdasheries.  Real high-end stuff that will make your skin bubble.

and in general the place is kind of meh.

Best beer in the world makes up for a lot.  Personally, all I ever do in the UK is hang out in pubs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top