Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2008 11:42:17 AM EDT
So one day a few months back, I was driving back from a trip to Sarco in NJ, and passed Dimmig's Sporting Goods on route 202. I had never been in before, so I stopped. It was a small shop, and you had to press a buzzer to open the door. Once inside, I saw that it was a very small shop, probably 15'x30', if not smaller. He had some decent, albeit overpriced stuff, some black rifles, some surplus, pistols, even a few suppressors and some cases of ammo. Not a bad spread for such a small shop.

During my visit, the owner was on the phone the whole time, talking to his buddy about his new ATV. No big deal, as I wanted to browse. When I saw an 18" black Rem 870 I had been looking for, I stood at the counter and waited to ask him to see the gun. He looked right through me, and kept talking. He made no effort to help me out, nor did he indicate in any way that he acknowledged my presence. Keep in mind, this is a TINY shop, so it's not like he didn't realize I had a question, I was four feet from him.

So, I wandered around the store for another 5 minutes, and tried to get his attention again, and stood at the counter. The gun was $350, and I had the cash to buy it, as I had been looking for that very gun for a few months. Again he ignored me, and kept chatting away on the phone. After a few minutes, I decided he wasn't interested in selling guns, and I left.

I was pretty pissed off at the treatment I received and decided I would take my business elsewhere. I ended up finding the same shotgun for $319 at a gun show, so I saved some money in the end.

So, today I got the urge to go visit some gun shops. I was headed in the direction of 202, so I thought I'd give Dimmig's another chance. Now, let me preface this by saying I am about the furthest thing from a thug that you can imagine. I was wearing a tshirt and cargo pants, I'm clean cut and polite. I attempted conversation with him several times, and each time got a curt, nearly hostile reply in return. His tone was one of extreme annoyance and disdain.  

Him: You looking for something?
Me: I don't know, I just thought I'd stop in and see what you had.
(Silence as I browse. He is glaring at me from behind the register.)
Me: So, are there any good places to shoot around here?
Him: The indoor range down the road is the only place.
Me: Is that where you shoot?
Him: I don't. I sell guns.
Me: Oh.
(Silence again. I browse the ammo. He is still staring at me.)
Me: So you sell some Class III, too?
(He nods. A few more minutes of silence follow. More staring.)
Me: So, is the Harrisburg show worth the trip?
Him: I don't do shows. This is my show.
Me: Ah. I heard it was pretty big, so I was trying to decide if I should go.
(He grunts.)

At this point, he is making is obvious that I am very unwelcome in his shop, so I tell him to have a nice day. As I open the door to leave, his tone brightens and he bids me goodbye in a cheerful manner.

What. The. Fuck?

I gave him no reason to be as hostile as he was. I was friendly, polite, and tried several times to talk with him, only to be treated like a persona non grata.

It was an EXTREMELY negative experience, and is easily the worst gun shop encounter I've had to date.

I will NEVER darken his doorstep again, and I strongly advise anyone else to avoid that place as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Several years ago his shop was robbed.  He was tied up in the back.  That experiance may have soured his attitude.  The crime was solved by a off duty PD officer who thought it odd that someone was loading a handful of guns into their trunk.    

The culprits were caught and guns were recovered....
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Several years ago his shop was robbed.  He was tied up in the back.  That experiance may have soured his attitude.  The crime was solved by a off duty PD officer who thought it odd that someone was loading a handful of guns into their trunk.    

The culprits were caught and guns were recovered....

Thanks for the input. Sounds like someone needs to retire from the gun business, then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
no making excuses for what happend to  you but ...
Larry was a very nice person untill the day they put a gun to his head, tied him up and pistol whipped him as the other person emptyed his shop into the back of a car
now he is very cautious untill he knows who he has in the shop  
yes they caught the people  that did that over in landsdale  
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep...it was very surprising he wasn't killed.  As I recall he was pistol whipped.  That I suppose would ruin your day.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Larry was a fucking jerk off all his life.  The robbery only made him worse.  He never made any attempt to treat his customers with kindness or respect.  He has always treated them as trespassers or a nuisance.  I will never step foot in his shop because he is an ass hole.  You are right, he will look right through you in his shop while talking on the phone.  He doesn't seen to want to be bothered with questions or small talk.  I have never spent a dime in his shop and never will.  He needs a new career, something that doesn't require human contact.  He is like a time bomb waiting to explode.

The only thing he has going for him is a nice selection, something for everyone but his prices are high.

Rant over.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember going there almost 30 years ago.  I had an AR15 that I wanted to buy some extra parts for.

His attitude was one of distain for me and my rifle.  I never went back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I lived within a mile of that shop for around 3 years.  I only visited there maybe twice.  For a small shop, I thought the selection was impressive.  But yeah, his attitude kinda sucked & his prices were high.  I gave most of my business to Seneca Arms which was a 40 minute drive, but always worth the trip.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
+1

Big Thumbs Up for Seneca
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]
+100 for Seneca
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+100 for Seneca

When I'm on Earth I always spend my quatloos at Seneca!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatloo
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+100 for Seneca

Where is Seneca?  I never heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+100 for Seneca

Where is Seneca?  I never heard of it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=seneca+arms&near=Green+Lane,+PA&fb=1&cid=8221663768047141275&li=lmd&z=14&iwloc=A
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]
And just in case the map program tells you to turn right, when you get to Green Lane Seneca Arms is in the brick building to the LEFT of the Liberty gas station. There's a little sandwich board sign on the sidewalk out front.  

Warning: If you are a recently recovered gun addict, Seneca Arms may cause you to go off the wagon. Wrap your wallet in asbestos to lessen the heat radiating from your pocket when you leave.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Stopped in there once last Fall, won't bother to do that again.

He was impolite and isn't interested in making money apparently.

Reminded me of Delia's on Torresdale Avenue, which I also cannot recommend.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I had similar experiences at Dimmigs, but the guys at DeLias were always good to me and changed a Glock trigger and didn't charge me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Delia's is fine.  It is a meeting place and I guess they were having too much fun the day you were there and weren't paying attention.  They are good people and are willing to wheel and deal.  Give them another chance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in Dimmigs about 12 to 15 years ago.  The man behind the counter had a very poor attitude.  I have not gone back there since, and have no plans to.  It is a shame, as I drive by his store about twice a month.  John at Seneca gets my money now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In all fairness to Larry he is not a BAD guy he is just not very friendly.   This business can sap the "nice guy" out of you pretty quick and there are days when I struggle to be friendly simply because I get stressed out by some less than desireable creatures that happen to find my establishment.   95% of the guys that stroll though the store are great people and make working in the gun biz fun, the other 5% can simply ruin your whole day.  Sadly a good customer may come in during the aftermath and feel as if they are being treated poorly when in fact I am just trying to cope with the bullshit.  Larry is no different as he is human too.   Not defending Larry, just adding another perspective.

You know, I agree with you. That is why I went back again after the first episode. I thought "Maybe he's in a bad mood or tired or had a long day, etc..." But the treatment I received the second time was absolutely unnecessary. If he is unable or unwilling to be polite and courteous to the customers in his shop, it's time to retire.    
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I live in Chalfont and his shop is less than a mile from me. I have been here 3 years and wanted to stop in...glad I didn't.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to go to Dimmig's for years back in the '80's.  He was never the "most chatty" guy in
the world, but he was ok with me at the time.  I would buy reloading stuff and misc. stuff from
him after a store called Edelman's closed.  I got out of shooting for a while, and recently got
back to it heavy duty (my wife is into it now... so that helps).  We stopped by Larry's looking for
a sight for one of our target pistols, because I always knew he had a good selection.

The experience was as the consensus of this thread...disappointing.  I relayed the story about
the robbery to my wife.  Explained that he's alone & that explains the buzzer.  I think he lives there too.
He gets VERY nervous when there more than two people in the store.  I found myself defending him.
That's not right... Larry needs to retire.  The stress is going to kill him.  He will end up bankrupt if he
doesn't cash out.

As far as GOOD shops today... John, I need to check you out @ Seneca!!  I live in Quakertown and
didn't know you existed.  American Arms & Ammo on Rt309 in Colmar is small like Dimmig's, but also
has a nice selection & variety & GOOD prices generally.  Dave & his wife @ Donnelly's (sp?) in
Quakertown is small, but he is MR. AR15.  Lots of reloading supplies & AR parts. He will order anything
you want & loves to talk... a little expensive, but fair.  Target world has BIG selection but not cheap.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I used to go to Dimmig's for years back in the '80's.  He was never the "most chatty" guy in
the world, but he was ok with me at the time.  I would buy reloading stuff and misc. stuff from
him after a store called Edelman's closed.  

Edelman's was amazing.  The Home Depot of guns, cheap prices too.

You should definitely check out Seneca Arms.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Seneca is a great place and John is a real honest, good guy.  He has VERY reasonable prices and if you're selling or tradfing, he is FAIR.  Not like some of the sharks out there.

Bring your business to Seneca and support a good guy which is getting harder to find these days.    
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
him after a store called Edelman's closed.  I got out of shooting for a while, and recently got
back to it heavy duty (my wife is into it now... so that helps).  We stopped by Larry's looking for
a sight for one of our target pistols, because I always knew he had a good selection.

The experience was as the consensus of this thread...disappointing.  I relayed the story about
the robbery to my wife.  Explained that he's alone & that explains the buzzer.  I think he lives there too.
He gets VERY nervous when there more than two people in the store.  I found myself defending him.
That's not right... Larry needs to retire.  The stress is going to kill him.  He will end up bankrupt if he
doesn't cash out.

As far as GOOD shops today... John, I need to check you out @ Seneca!!  I live in Quakertown and
didn't know you existed.  American Arms & Ammo on Rt309 in Colmar is small like Dimmig's, but also
has a nice selection & variety & GOOD prices generally.  Dave & his wife @ Donnelly's (sp?) in
Quakertown is small, but he is MR. AR15.  Lots of reloading supplies & AR parts. He will order anything
you want & loves to talk... a little expensive, but fair.  Target world has BIG selection but not cheap.

I know a lot of guys don't like them, but Tanners Sportsman's Center has always been good to me.  Ray Sr. is/was great to work with ... Ray Jr. will try to milk you for $$ ... but usually a good experience in all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top