Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/27/2006 10:08:32 AM EDT
Ok, time to show some of my ignorance. There has been talk related to several ranges around Richmond having issues with neighbors. The main issue has to do with sound, that the neighbors are not used to it and don't like it. They try to get the county to change things so the range has to either get smaller or be shut down entirely. Worst case scenario of course, but it does apply to other ranges since development makes things worse and having hundreds of acres is no longer a good enough buffer it seems.

So, what is involved in making some sort of indoor/enclosed range, or making one that is in the ground? It sounds funny to me actually, but there must be reasons why people haven't done this so I'd like to know what they are. It seems like if there was a buliding set up, with sound-proofing in it, having dirt berms on the outside, that it would reduce the sound leaking out.

It doesn't seem like it would be the easiest or cheapest thing to do, but is it possible and/or practical?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:24:51 AM EDT
We lost the last indoor public range inside the D.C. Beltway last year with the closure of Annandale Small Arms range.

I would like to see another indoor or out door shooting range open inside the beltway since that is where I live.

Why will this NEVER happen?

Virginia requires a business or club to obtain a "special use permit" as part of the zoning process. The issuance is not strictly governed by law or regulation, but rather, is subject to input by the public (I.e. neighbors). No neighbors inside the beltway would allow such a dangerous activity (shooting).

My advice to you: go far enough out in the countryside (several hours outside DC or Richmond) and you MIGHT be allowed to use your land. Or consider West Virginia.

I wish I were more optimistic, but after the failure of the new range near Dulles, I have given up hope.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:05:05 PM EDT
i am hoping to begin this process for the culpeper/orange region in the next year once i get things straightened out...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:59:46 PM EDT
"but after the failure of the new range near Dulles"

What range was that? Blue Ridge arsenal is the only one I've known of out there, and it's still there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 1:57:43 PM EDT by CBR900]

Originally Posted By NateG:

What range was that? Blue Ridge arsenal is the only one I've known of out there, and it's still there.

That's my point - it failed - as in it failed to open. It never was. Funding? Plenty. Interest? Plenty. Then the FAA got involved in the approval process for the special use permit.

FAA claimed that the indoor range was within several miles of the airport. Therefore, a gun owner might come to the range and be near the airport, and therefore, the gun owner might take his gun outside the range and have a gun and be a threat to aviation overhead: result: NO special use permit issued. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But that is what happened.

Is that fair? Well, you know what I think.

However, I wish the best of luck on those who open a range. Please do not be discouraged. We need more folks like you.

CBR
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:28:37 PM EDT
Indoor and outdoor ranges are very different issues.

Indoor ranges are dramatically more expensive and are realistically limited to much shorter distances. OTOH, they avoid sticky issues like noise and errant rounds going into somebody’s house. Plus environmental issues like lead pollution are much easier to control.

The NRA indoor range is in about as built-up an area as you can find, but AFAIK has no problems at all with it’s neighbors. However, it no doubt cost a lot to build and even now it has very substantial maintenance costs. I understand it actually operated at a loss for several years after it was built.

Originally Posted By CBR900:

Originally Posted By NateG:

That's my point - it failed - as in it failed to open. It never was. ...

Blue Ridge Arsenal’s indoor range has been in operation for well over ten years.

You’re probably thinking of an outfit in Manassas (Guns and Ammo Warehouse, I believe) who recently tried to build a range at their location near the Manassas Airport and were stopped by the FAA.

Last I heard, that outfit is looking to change locations so they can build their range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:29:53 AM EDT
199 - correct & thanks for posting additional info. I obtained details from a reliable source but could not recall more than I posted.

I think it is important for people to know what happened so that they understand the value of having a place (anyplace) to shoot.

Why?

-because, everyone knocks specific ranges, but few people are building new places to shoot. Over the past 25 years in MD & VA I have seen more places shut down than open up. I see that as a bad sign for the Nation's gun-owning future.

I don't know anyone at Guns & Ammo Warehouse; have never set foot in the place.

However, I take it they own & sell guns to civilians, and in my book, that makes them one of us. Moreover, I applaud their efforts to offer us gun owners another place to shoot and I hope that they succeed in finding a suitable location.

Regards,

CBR
Top Top