Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/30/2011 9:11:42 PM EDT
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110130/OPINION01/101300316/Guest-opinion-Want-gun-control-Speak-up

I know that public opinion (and the Bill of Rights) are on our side but this opinion piece really ticked me off.  On the front page of the opinion section with an Old West poster describing Iowa as the "Wild West" if more pro-gun "shoot first" and "vigilante" laws are passed.  Statements pulled right from the Brady play book and the Register goes right along with it.

One more reason not to read that rag.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Sensationalism...they are only trying to get sheep stirred up about the new gun laws.  Most will go "baa" and forget about it by Monday morning.  From nearly all the discussions I have had the majority of public opinion is still positive about the law.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]
To be expected.  Surprised it took them this long.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
i happen to like the idea of the wild west... seems like men had more respect for each other back then... or maybe thats just how the movies portray it

i liked this part, its just outstanding writing... i always laugh hysterically when i read the opinion section, or 2 cents worth.
What is conspicuous by its absence in this proposed legislation is any kind of response to the Tucson assassination attempt on U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the killing of six persons and wounding of a dozen more. The shooter there used a weapon classified as an assault weapon with a 33-bullet magazine. Could this happen in Iowa? We've had our cases of multiple and high-profile killings with guns (i.e., the 1991 University of Iowa student who killed four faculty members and a student, and seriously injured another student). Someone in Iowa should propose a state ban on assault weapons or, at the very least, a limitation on ammunition magazines that can be sold.

when did a Glock 19 become an Assault Weapon? am i missing something?

by the way it should be noted i do not pay for the Des Moines Register, i read it at work and when i am done i throw it away... i can only flip threw the same 3 gun mags so many times in a month.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i happen to like the idea of the wild west... seems like men had more respect for each other back then... or maybe thats just how the movies portray it

i liked this part, its just outstanding writing... i always laugh hysterically when i read the opinion section, or 2 cents worth.
What is conspicuous by its absence in this proposed legislation is any kind of response to the Tucson assassination attempt on U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the killing of six persons and wounding of a dozen more. The shooter there used a weapon classified as an assault weapon with a 33-bullet magazine. Could this happen in Iowa? We've had our cases of multiple and high-profile killings with guns (i.e., the 1991 University of Iowa student who killed four faculty members and a student, and seriously injured another student). Someone in Iowa should propose a state ban on assault weapons or, at the very least, a limitation on ammunition magazines that can be sold.

by the way it should be noted i do not pay for the Des Moines Register, i read it at work and when i am done i throw it away... i can only flip threw the same 3 gun mags so many times in a month.

Clean out your headgear new guy.   Slingshots are assault weapons if you have more than 10 rocks in your pocket!    

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clean out your headgear new guy.   Slingshots are assault weapons if you have more than 10 rocks in your pocket!    

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Didnt the U of I shooter use a 38 revolver?

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top