Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 6:46:32 AM EDT
I'm doing research on different firearm laws in the US.  I work for a company that manufacturers a lower receiver that is legal in the state of California and we have had people from Ohio ask for it.  I've been trying to find an address to the Department of Justice for the state of Ohio to get approval from them, for our lower.  I have read the laws as reported on the NRA-ILA site [very informative] and would like to move forward.

Does anyone have an address to the department of justice for the state of Ohio?

Thanks so much,  Patty McNary www.fabten.com
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking for sales in places like Toledo or Cleveland?
The issue with "assault weapons" is a local ordinance issue, not a state one.
Or at least, that's my understanding of it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
chuck,
I wasnt aware of this, could you give me a little more details far as the bans being unconstitutional
Thanks
Byg
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  According to the NRA/ILA Dayton is the only city with an AWB.  I'll do some more digging.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  According to the NRA/ILA Dayton is the only city with an AWB.  I'll do some more digging.

Patty

Dublin (Columbus Suburb)
Toledo
Cincinnati
Cleveland (I think - not certain about that one)
Columbus (had 2 before that were ruled Unconstitutional, but is proposing a new one next month)

have AWB's in place.

Dayton?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
where can one read up on the AWB in cincinnati?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
where can one read up on the AWB in cincinnati?

Here you go:

Sec. 708-37. Possession or Sale of Semiautomatic Firearms Prohibited.
(a)     No person shall sell, deliver, rent, lease, offer, or display for sale, or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess a semiautomatic firearm.
(b)     No person shall sell, deliver, rent, lease, offer or display for sale, or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any detachable magazine with the following capacities:
(1)     More than ten rifle or carbine rounds;
(2)     More than five shotgun rounds;
(3)     More than 15 handgun rounds.
This section does not apply to any detachable magazine purchased or acquired for use with semiautomatic firearms registered pursuant to division (e)(3) of this section.
(c)     No person shall sell, deliver, rent, lease, offer or display for sale, or transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any extension tube, drum, cylinder, or magazine capable of increasing the capacity of a fixed or detachable magazine.
(d)     This section does not apply to law enforcement officers, agents, or employees of this or any other state or the United States, members of the Armed Forces of the United States or the organized militia of this or any other state, if the acquisition or possession of a semiautomatic firearm is authorized and within the scope of his official duties.
(e)     Any person who is legally in possession of a semiautomatic firearm that was legally purchased or acquired before April 1, 1989, shall within 30 days from the effective date hereof:
(1)     Remove said semiautomatic firearm from within the city limits of Cincinnati; or
(2)     Modify said semiautomatic firearm to either render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as a semiautomatic firearm; or
(3)     Register the firearm with the chief of police pursuant to such procedures as the city manager may establish.
The registration shall contain a description of the firearm including all identification marks, the full name, address, date of birth and such other information as the city manager may deem appropriate. The information will be provided on forms prescribed by the city manager.
Any change of address of the owner must be registered with the chief of police within 14 days of the change.
The city manager may establish a fee for registration not to exceed the actual processing costs of the city.
(f)     No semiautomatic firearm possessed pursuant to division (e)(3) above may be sold or transferred after the effective date of this section to anyone within the City of Cincinnati.
(g)     Any person who obtains title to a semiautomatic firearm by bequest or intestate succession must within 90 days comply with the requirements of division (e) of this section.
(h)     The term "semiautomatic" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a single cartridge and automatically chamber a succeeding cartridge and ready to fire, with a single function of the trigger.
(i)     For the purpose of this section, "semiautomatic firearm" shall have the following meanings:
(1)     Any semiautomatic rifle or carbine that was originally designed with or has a fixed magazine or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than ten rounds;
(2)     Any semiautomatic shotgun that was originally designed with or has a fixed magazine or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than five rounds;
(3)     Any semiautomatic handgun that was originally designed with or has a fixed magazine or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 15 rounds;
(4)     Any semiautomatic handgun that is a modification of a rifle, carbine, or shotgun as described in (1) and (2) above;
(5)     Any firearm which may be readily restored to an operable semiautomatic firearm, as defined in (1) through (4) above;
(6)     Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to convert a weapon into a semiautomatic firearm, as defined in (1) through (4) above or any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic firearm may be readily assembled.
(j)     Rifles or carbines which fire .22 caliber rimfire ammunition and have fixed, tubular magazines are exempt from this section.
Any person who violates any provision of this section guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(C.M.C. 708-37; ordained by Ord. No. 380-1989, eff. Sept. 27, 1989)

Available at www.cincinnati-oh.gov/council/pages/-3667-/
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
ha.  Now isn't that interesting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure that Ohio shooters would be particuarly interested in a 10rd fixed magazine lower (I own one because I live in California and have no choice).

When the federal AWB was in place, it MIGHT have made sense if somebody wanted a flash suppressor, bayo lug or collapsible stock.

As soon as I move to Ohio, mine is going by-bye (my dealer offered to buy it back for what I paid for it, less $75). Why would anyone willingly give up a detachable magazine? Perhaps I'm missing something.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
To my knowledge there are bans in Dayton and Cleveland.  These are municipal bans - not statewide bans.

Patty McNary
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top