Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 2:20:12 PM EDT
I am going deer hunting with my .308,and wanted to know what are the rules on ammo? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't think there are any
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Rule Number One: You can't shoot as many deer as your weapon hold rounds....

Glad to be helpful

MT_Pockets (Some of my best friends are Texans)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the web for the Fish&Wildlife agency for your hunting A.O.

You can be assured you best not have any FMJ ammo on yer person.  Get some good guality hunting ammo.

Also check into weapon capacity limitations.  You may have to improvise a block for your mag to limit to 5 rounds or ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You must block your mag. for 5 rounds max.  The block can not be easily removed.  And  no FMJ.  DO NOT have a higher capacity mag. on you
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
From the TPWD website:

Firearms

* Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:
         o white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
         o shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
         o pellet guns and other air guns are NOT LEGAL.
         o fully automatic firearms are NOT LEGAL.
         o firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL.
<snip>
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From the TPWD website:

Firearms

* Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:
         o white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
         o shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
         o pellet guns and other air guns are NOT LEGAL.
         o fully automatic firearms are NOT LEGAL.
         o firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL.
<snip>
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds

That is correct you can hunt Deer with High Cap Mags all you want, I hunt with an HK-91 &  AR  however I find 20 round mags easy to use than 30. I use a 10 round mag in my 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1. Just use your common sense. I wouldn't want to take FMJ on a deer hunt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Just use your common sense. I wouldn't want to take FMJ on a deer hunt.

why not?  the deer don't know they are being shot with Australian Surplus .308 ball vs $25.00 a box Hornady custom ammo.  They fall over just as dead.  (Given you hit them in the vitals)  if you don't hit them right your in for a long night of searching with either bullet.  i can't see the reasoning that .308 ball is deadly on 250# men wearing threat level IIIA body armor but can't be used on a 100# whitetail deer.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Shot placement.
Shot placement.
Shot placement.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Glad to be helpful

I can.  I will be hunting on my bosses property.  The wildlife guys told him to "shoot all the doe he can find, then, go find more, and shoot them too.  If you run out of tags, give us a call, we'll send more."

He has about 100 or so tags right now.

My Ar10T carbine is gonna be a happy gun.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
#1 Dont miss.

#2 Use your AR15.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to be helpful

I can.  I will be hunting on my bosses property.  The wildlife guys told him to "shoot all the doe he can find, then, go find more, and shoot them too.  If you run out of tags, give us a call, we'll send more."

He has about 100 or so tags right now.

My Ar10T carbine is gonna be a happy gun.

TXL

I don't think it matters if you have 500 doe permits, you are only allowed to kill whatever the limit is for the county. You can tranfer those tags to others to hunt the same property though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
If the wildlife is managed by TP&W, then the tags can be filled by as few or many needed to reach the limit for that managed property.  Also, starting this year, state drawing hunts and hunt on TP&W managed lands do not reqiure the use of tags from your license.  Only the permits provided by TP&W for that hunt/managed land are required.  Therefore, you can be drawn or show up as a stand-by hunter and harvest the legal game for that hunt and keep your tags for your own lease or public land.

Prior to this, you were limited to the number/type of tags on your license.

Using quality ballistic tip ammo is much better than FMJ and will feed from the mag good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top