Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 3:46:42 PM EDT
Wondering.  Is it legal to deer hunt with an AR in Michigan?  Wasn't sure of any caliber or mag capacity restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about your state's legality on the particular gun but are your deer that small that a .223 will knock them down?  You'd have to place your shot perfectly so you don't wound the critter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If the 223 will knock a human down, it will knock a deer down.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The Smallest cartridge you can hunt deer with in Michigan is a .243
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, that answers that question.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Smallest cartridge you can hunt deer with in Michigan is a .243

source?

ETA: Only reference I saw on te DNR website was this....

Q. What caliber or gauge of firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol) can I use to hunt deer north of the “Rifle-Shotgun Line”?

Any caliber or gauge is legal north of the “Rifle-Shotgun Line” except a .22 caliber rimfire or smaller caliber rimfire rifle or pistol. All centerfire rifles and handguns and all shotguns are legal in this area regardless of caliber or gauge.

DNR FAQ
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, that is great.  Now, should I call the DNR to see if there's a magazine capacity restriction?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it is a centerfire round.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, that is great.  Now, should I call the DNR to see if there's a magazine capacity restriction?

Yes there is, 5 rounds. And, that dude's link is right too. You can hunt deer with a 223. You just need to be smart about it. Use the right ammo. I know a guy that hunts Elk with a 22-250. His theory is why shoot a bazooka when a pill will do the job. He says that in his experience, on such a big animal, they will think they were bit by a bug, and bleed to death without knowing what hit them by the time they walk 30 yards. Where as a 375 H&H for example will scare the shit out of them and then you get the adrenalin rush problems. Makes sense to me. Would I try it? Probably not.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
RobbieB, I just got done asking the Michigan DNR the same question. They informed me that any center fire cartridge is acceptable regardless of caliber. The key word is center fire, of course you have to be in the rifle zone. If you don't believe me, ask for yourself.
midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php
Craig
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:11:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, I'm not doubting you on that, I just thank you all for helping figure it out.  Great bunch of guys here!

Now I have 9 months to find a 5 round magazine.  lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If the 223 will knock a human down, it will knock a deer down.

white tail is alot tuffer, than most people. if you dont find a mag, let me know. i have a pile.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
RobbieB, Same here, I have a couple Colt five rounders I could let go too.
Craig
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There is a magazine restriction - 5 rounds in Mag and 1 in barrel.
If you will be hunting with an AR please use good ammo and pick your shot carefully.
I assume you will be hunting in the rifle zone?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
You can also "plug" your 30 rounders to only accept 5 rnds. I did this just recently to 4 of my 30's, so they would be legal for varmints and small game. I searched and what i found said that as long as the mag has to be "disassembled" for the plug to be removed it would be ok.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
We use the Partition bullet with Varget. Good accuracy and a decent hole.

The AR with a modern military scope (Trijcon or Holo) is perfect for woods shots.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]
RB, check johnmasen,com for the 5  rounders.  about $16 +s/h

ba
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top