Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 9:22:34 PM EDT
I need any info you guys could give me, my son turns 12 this year and can put in for his first tag. Because of the date of his birthday the choices are limited. The choices we were looking at are units 201 & 204 or units 202,205 & 206. Any opinions or experience on which is best?

Link, cause that map is mighty small www.ndow.org/hunt/maps/unitmap.shtm
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]
ive never hunted those areas exactly but are those the only ones he can apply for? cause theres some far far better ones.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
His b-day is Aug. 20, so he can't put in for any areas that open for any season before then and most areas open for archery on Aug. 12. Here are the other units he has to choose from. I'll list why I ruled them out, but if someone has a reason i should look at one I ruled out I have no problem changing.

unit 015- a little to far north

unit 021- a little too far north

unit 101-108- we were told that there is a lot of private land in these units ( just what I was told, not sure how true it is )

Those and the ones in my first post are his only choices, Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
units 101 - 108 ive hunted alot and theres some very very good hunting up there. 015 is some of the best hunting in the state if you can draw a tag up there. id say 015 would be my 1st choice and 101 my 2nd.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Area 10 is good........also plenty of trout spots to pass the time!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
His b-day is Aug. 20, so he can't put in for any areas that open for any season before then and most areas open for archery on Aug. 12. Here are the other units he has to choose from. I'll list why I ruled them out, but if someone has a reason i should look at one I ruled out I have no problem changing.

unit 015- a little to far north
My favorite place to hunt deer close to home - 043 - 046 are my sentimental favorite.

unit 021- a little too far north
Ummmm.... I guess since I don't know where you live this seems strange to me, but...021 is further south than most of area 100, and only about an hour and a half further north than area 201.  I'm guessing you live way south???
Never hunted deer in 021 though - heard its good.

unit 101-108- we were told that there is a lot of private land in these units ( just what I was told, not sure how true it is )
Hunted here in 1995 - was a time I'll never forget!  Never ran into any private property - though I know you can find it.  I tend to seek places where folks aint.  I tell you - there's nothing like spending the night on the crest of the Ruby Mountains alone in a bag under the stars.  Only problem I had hunting there was 1) Moutain lions kept following me!!!  2) Sheep!!  If the lions weren't there then the shepherd would magically appear!  Everywhere I went I would find either no deer, or deer so spooked that I could never get time to fire, or it would be a mob of sheep coming over the ridge!   Was a super hunt even though I never fired a shot (at a deer!  I ended up stopping a day early just to go four-wheelin/sight-seeing, and shooting. LOL)

Those and the ones in my first post are his only choices, Thanks
Sorry can't help ya much with 200 area's - only time I ever went there was just along for the ride and I can't really remember where we went - think it was 201.  Nice country - went for a day, but never saw anything.  That was like 1994.

I've heard from a friend that mountain bikes everywhere that he can't go up Mt. Grant (west of Hawthorne) anymore - homeland security!  So area 202 has some access problems - but I don't know anything else about hunting there.  I can never draw tags there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top