Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2017 3:56:48 PM EDT
I know that it's the law to declare you're ccw'ing immediately for official contact with first responders (police, ambulance, etc).  My question is whether or not that applies only to "official" contact (such as a traffic stop, car accident, etc) or does it also apply if you stop and talk to them casually?  I ask because I was coming out of a store today and there were firefighters and police (with a fire truck and squad SUV) there for veteran's day.  I had my 2 year old daughter with me and I'd like her to have contact with firefighters/police/etc just so that she learns who they are, what they do, etc.  I didn't stop to talk with them today, though, because I wasn't sure on the law when carrying concealed and just stopping to chat when they are out doing PR with the public and I didn't want to deal with that (declaring that I'm carrying just so that my daughter can meet them).
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nebraska.pdf

(1) A permitholder shall carry his or her permit to carry a concealed handgun and his or her Nebraska
driver's license, Nebraska-issued state identification card, or military identification card any time he or she
carries a concealed handgun. The permitholder shall display both the permit to carry a concealed handgun
and his or her Nebraska motor vehicle operator's license, Nebraska-issued state identification card, or
military identification card when asked to do so by a peace officer or by emergency services personnel.
(2) Whenever a permitholder who is carrying a concealed handgun is contacted by a peace officer or by
emergency services personnel, the permitholder shall immediately inform the peace officer or emergency
services personnel that the permitholder is carrying a concealed handgun.
(3)(a) During contact with a permitholder, a peace officer or emergency services personnel may secure the
handgun or direct that it be secured during the duration of the contact if the peace officer or emergency
services personnel determines that it is necessary for the safety of any person present, including the peace
officer or emergency services personnel. The permitholder shall submit to the order to secure the handgun.
www.handgunlaw.us 8
(b)(i) When the peace officer has determined that the permitholder is not a threat to the safety of any
person present, including the peace officer, and the permitholder has not committed any other violation
that would result in his or her arrest or the suspension or revocation of his or her permit, the peace officer
shall return the handgun to the permitholder before releasing the permitholder from the scene and
breaking contact.
(ii) When emergency services personnel have determined that the permitholder is not a threat to the
safety of any person present, including emergency services personnel, and if the permitholder is
physically and mentally capable of possessing the handgun, the emergency services personnel shall
return the handgun to the permitholder before releasing the permitholder from the scene and breaking
contact. If the permitholder is transported for treatment to another location, the handgun shall be turned
over to any peace officer. The peace officer shall provide a receipt which includes the make, model,
caliber, and serial number of the handgun.
(4) For purposes of this section, contact with a peace officer means any time a peace officer personally stops,
detains, questions, or addresses a permitholder for an official purpose or in the course of his or her official
duties, and contact with emergency services personnel means any time emergency services personnel
provide treatment to a permitholder in the course of their official duties.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top