Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2013 11:14:05 AM EDT
Thank you for your e-mail of concern regarding our second amendment
rights in Virginia. As a Virginian, I have always been a supporter of
second amendment rights and the right to self defense. However, I also
believe that no Virginian, or anyone anywhere, should have to suffer
the loss of their children or loved ones due to misuse of firearms.

I believe that firearms should be used responsibly and intelligently
in the state of Virginia, and that our second amendment rights can
still be protected while at the same time being able to identify and
discipline malevolent individuals who use firearms to harm others. To
that end, I am currently sponsoring two bills that will attempt to
accomplish these goals.

Senate Bill 785 seeks to ensure that a gun owner may be held civilly
liable for injury to the person or property of another or for wrongful
death resulting from the use of their firearm in the commission of a
crime. It must be shown with clear and convincing evidence that the
gun owner did not take responsible measures to prevent the gun from
being stolen or misappropriated. This bill deals with responsible gun
ownership and does not infringe on any second amendment rights. Senate
Bill 786 seeks to enact a civil penalty for failing to report lost
firearms.

I believe that with these two measures, we will be able to better
secure our second amendment rights, while at the same time, reduce gun
related violence in the Commonwealth. Thank you again for your e-mail
and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other concerns
or information.

Dave

Dave Marsden
Virginia State Senate
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Worthless.  His lawyer buddies are probably licking their chops on this one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I spoke with him today, in his office. He explained that he supports the 2nd. I told him that there are a lot of people that claim that, and a lot of bills proposed that limit or restrict our right. He said that he was aware that his bill was on our "do not support" list. He went on to talk about his background and why he feels the way he does. Basically, he blew smoke for a while.

Before the conversation was over, I responded to something he mentioned about the political climate/school shootings/adolescents taking guns from home. I told him that if he really wanted to protect the children he needs to focus his attention on making our schools safer. Show people that  our children are as important as the money in our banks. Place two or three safety officers, or let the faculty that are so inclined, acquire permission/training so that they would qualify to carry in their school. Show people that the kids have the right to be as protected as you [Dave Marsden] are in this building.

If he were to do that, he could make a difference. Instead, he wants to hold victims of theft, civilly responsible for property damage or wrongful death, for not  adequately securing their firearms. The proposed bill doesn't spell out what "adequately" means. Having just been part of a jury last week (for the first time) on a case that was pretty easily spelled out, I don't know that I would feel safe about having twelve jurors sit in a room and unanimously agree on weather my locked house is "adequate".

FIREMISSION:: If you would like to participate in an online vote, here's the address:
http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2013/sb785/

He has another bill that doesn't bother me as much, requiring that if a firearm is lost or stolen, it must be reported to the police. Although, if you were to report the theft of a firearm from your locked home, and it were used in the commission of a crime, wouldn't the next logicalmove for a lawyer be to say that the firearms obviously wasn't "adequately" secured?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a proxy. Vote twice (or more).  It's only fair if the "D's" can have dead people go to the polls.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Dave,

If MY gun, is in MY house or MY car, is that not secure?  

I shouldnt have to take ownership of anothers actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top