Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2018 10:38:47 PM EDT
The event is in the Chapel. Where should we stay hotel wise? Is that area safe? Anything I should know in advance?
TIA
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2018 1:16:20 PM EDT by Esq1118]
That is in the Mission District. Number 1 right now for car break ins in San Francisco since they decriminalized it. Over the summer they had like 30,000 smash and grabs and most of the shootouts there. So dont keep anything in your car or in view. The area is still hood with lots of hood rats (MS13 types) running around mixed with the tight jean millennial wearing crowds. Homeless, and psych ward releases are running around also since Facebook hospital is close by and dumps them around there so they can roam. FYI they changed the SF General Hospital name cause Facebook dropped millions on them since Zuckerberg's wife interned there as a doc.

Find a better area with free parking at the hotel. Unless you really need to stay in SF, I would avoid it. Look for hotels in Burlingame hotel row area that is safe. Next to the airport and free parking and lots of restaurants in downtown Burlingame and Millbrae to visit. It is also right next to the 101 freeway and about 20 mins away from that venue.

I met many peeps that drove in from Chicago and stopped for less than 10 mins and had all their luggage for their road trip jacked at sight seeing spots around the city. Twin Peaks, Coit Tower, Alamo Square, anywhere in Golden Gate Park are the hot spots. SFPD and SF Park Rangers wont do anything because its a cite and release game now. You ll also see the poo and pee everywhere, needles on the ground, and drug users doing their thing out in the open. It is a Sanctuary City. A lot of the homeless have criminal records and warrants out on them, but the city refuses to extradite them back to where they belong. DA refuses to charge them for assaulting tourists or locals, but if you attack them...you will get locked up. Makes a lot of sense right?

If you get into a scuffle with a hobo...hit the face. A lot of them wear ghetto armor...aka phone books or cardboard duck taped around their body under their jackets.

Here is the SFPD CompStat Crime Mapping page. http://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/sanfrancisco
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 6:43:45 PM EDT
Not a safe area day or night.

I would advise against it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:31:35 PM EDT
My advice - skip San Francisco altogether.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:43:56 PM EDT
I've lived all my life in the Bay Area and pretty much everything in this area summarizes my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:17:10 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:08:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2018 3:11:03 AM EDT by Trollslayer]
You forgot the most important piece of kit.

Oh, yeah, and lots of this, too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:42:12 AM EDT
Well it looks like I and my wife will be venturing into the belly of the beast with my daughter in March. I feel better that at least I can be there to watch over her. What type of defensive arms am I allowed to carry there? How is China Town?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:58:37 AM EDT
It's San Francisco. There's no reciprocal carry recognition. They don't like it but car carry laws have been discussed a lot for travelers in various threads. Which isn't much help getting from parking to concert and back. Then you've got concert rules which may hamper generic preventive measures. Camera limits often exist. But a camera you don't mind dentnig might be handy. And your cane for your old war wound. Etc. Haven't been in Chinatown for many years. someone more local might be able to give better advice with more specific location knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:34:31 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bm3:
Not a safe area day or night.

I would advise against it.
View Quote
That’s absolute 100 percent bullshit. The Mission isn’t safe? LOL. It’s hipster central filled with shops, restaurants, and white techies and hipsters as far as the eye can see. The Chapel is a fun venue to boot.

OP don’t listen to this guy, it’s fine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:38:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2018 9:45:15 AM EDT by BSmith79]
Originally Posted By P08:
Well it looks like I and my wife will be venturing into the belly of the beast with my daughter in March. I feel better that at least I can be there to watch over her. What type of defensive arms am I allowed to carry there? How is China Town?
View Quote
You can’t bring anything other than a folding pocket knife, and depending on the event you might get screened of that.

As someone who has went to numerous events in that area, went out to eat there with friends and so on, you’re fine. Nothing is going to happen. When you go there you’ll see it’s full of clean cut white nerds and hipsters covering the area. You’ll see some homeless for sure but they’re incredibly easy to avoid. If you’ve ever been to any city you should know what to expect, I.e. it’s not some kind of war zone like retards will have you think.

China town is fine too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:52:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Esq1118:
That is in the Mission District. Number 1 right now for car break ins in San Francisco since they decriminalized it. Over the summer they had like 30,000 smash and grabs and most of the shootouts there. So dont keep anything in your car or in view. The area is still hood with lots of hood rats (MS13 types) running around mixed with the tight jean millennial wearing crowds. Homeless, and psych ward releases are running around also since Facebook hospital is close by and dumps them around there so they can roam. FYI they changed the SF General Hospital name cause Facebook dropped millions on them since Zuckerberg's wife interned there as a doc.

Find a better area with free parking at the hotel. Unless you really need to stay in SF, I would avoid it. Look for hotels in Burlingame hotel row area that is safe. Next to the airport and free parking and lots of restaurants in downtown Burlingame and Millbrae to visit. It is also right next to the 101 freeway and about 20 mins away from that venue.

I met many peeps that drove in from Chicago and stopped for less than 10 mins and had all their luggage for their road trip jacked at sight seeing spots around the city. Twin Peaks, Coit Tower, Alamo Square, anywhere in Golden Gate Park are the hot spots. SFPD and SF Park Rangers wont do anything because its a cite and release game now. You ll also see the poo and pee everywhere, needles on the ground, and drug users doing their thing out in the open. It is a Sanctuary City. A lot of the homeless have criminal records and warrants out on them, but the city refuses to extradite them back to where they belong. DA refuses to charge them for assaulting tourists or locals, but if you attack them...you will get locked up. Makes a lot of sense right?

If you get into a scuffle with a hobo...hit the face. A lot of them wear ghetto armor...aka phone books or cardboard duck taped around their body under their jackets.

Here is the SFPD CompStat Crime Mapping page. http://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/sanfrancisco
View Quote
I live 45 minutes away from SF and I’ve literally never once actually seen human shit on the ground. Not once. Smell lots of piss yeah, but I’ve never seen shit. I know it’s out there, but you’re not likely to actually see it.

Saying “you’ll see piss shit and needles everywhere” is 100 percent hyperbole. Very likely you’ll see none while you’re there.

You definitely do NOT want to leave stuff in your car. That’s one not to test. Take a Lyft from your hotel or leave nothing.

As for homeless wearing body armor, lol. That’s gotta be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of.

A lot of these comments are essentially breaking Paul’s “antburning” rules. Stop giving misinformation without first hand knowledge.

Summary:

If you’ve ever been to any city, SF is the same. You know what to expect. People who have never been to the city boogeyman NYC and Chicago and European cities also.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:53:18 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies. From what I have read the only really bad place to avoid would be the Tenderloin area. I intend to fly in and rent a car after we leave SF and drive to see the redwoods. May or may not have a rental in the city as I assume that parking on the street is usually full and expensive like Chicago and I'll bet the hotels charge to park there as well. Really would still feel safer with at least my J frame at a minimum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:27:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2018 7:31:47 PM EDT by BSmith79]
Thanks for all the replies. From what I have read the only really bad place to avoid would be the Tenderloin area. I intend to fly in and rent a car after we leave SF and drive to see the redwoods. May or may not have a rental in the city as I assume that parking on the street is usually full and expensive like Chicago and I'll bet the hotels charge to park there as well. Really would still feel safer with at least my J frame at a minimum.
View Quote
You’ll be carrying it illegally if you do, and possibly frisked at your concert / metal detector. As someone who owns a ton of guns, I do not feel the need to carry one in SF. And yeah, the Tenderloin can be sketchy but you won’t be there. Parking in SF can definitely be a challenge which is why I rarely do it, too stressful.

Many hotels do in fact charge for parking BUT, you can occasionally find deals where they don’t. For fun last year I stayed at a fancy hotel one night (Fairmont) and I got a room with free parking.

I tend to take BART and then Lyft, or park my car in safe neighborhoods (ie West Portal) and then Lyft from there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:56:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BSmith79:
You'll be carrying it illegally if you do, and possibly frisked at your concert / metal detector. As someone who owns a ton of guns, I do not feel the need to carry one in SF. And yeah, the Tenderloin can be sketchy but you won't be there. Parking in SF can definitely be a challenge which is why I rarely do it, too stressful.

Many hotels do in fact charge for parking BUT, you can occasionally find deals where they don't. For fun last year I stayed at a fancy hotel one night (Fairmont) and I got a room with free parking.

I tend to take BART and then Lyft, or park my car in safe neighborhoods (ie West Portal) and then Lyft from there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BSmith79:
You'll be carrying it illegally if you do, and possibly frisked at your concert / metal detector. As someone who owns a ton of guns, I do not feel the need to carry one in SF. And yeah, the Tenderloin can be sketchy but you won't be there. Parking in SF can definitely be a challenge which is why I rarely do it, too stressful.

Many hotels do in fact charge for parking BUT, you can occasionally find deals where they don't. For fun last year I stayed at a fancy hotel one night (Fairmont) and I got a room with free parking.

Would not carry illegally, not worth it and I'm not going to the concert either, just going on the trip. But would feel better having one in the room or car.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 7:11:14 PM EDT
Do not take a loaded weapon in your car.

It has to be unloaded, in a locked container and inaccessible to you and your passengers. It may not be in the glove box or center-console compartments. Typical compliance would be unloaded and locked in a box/bag which is stored in the trunk.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:40:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

It has to be unloaded, in a locked container and inaccessible to you and your passengers. It may not be in the glove box or center-console compartments. Typical compliance would be unloaded and locked in a box/bag which is stored in the trunk.
View Quote
Wow I hope that you guys get some progress with CCW there. You know it's bad when Illinois has better gun laws!
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:03:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 1:18:44 AM EDT by Featureless]
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

There is no requirement that the locked container be inaccessible. If "the trunk" is being used as your locked container, you would still need a locked container to transport between the vehicle and a residence, etc., so you might prefer to transport in the container even if using the trunk. A "trunk" has some added security compared to a wide open hatchback or SUV, etc.

Car break-ins are problematic in San Francisco but not sure how much more than any other urban area. We just drove through there again last week on vacation but didn't stop this time. It's a beautiful and historic city and worth visiting. It does take some planning because it's both congested and somewhat spread out (and hilly) so walking isn't always the best approach. I'm not familiar enough with the mass transit there or neighborhoods routes to try or avoid.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 12:36:53 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
Originally Posted By Featureless:
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

There is no requirement that the locked container be inaccessible.
View Quote
Please note, I said a "typical compliance". You have to carry it to and from the car in a locked container, so, just put that locked container in the trunk.

Inaccessibility is what the unloaded and locked container is all about, is it not?

If you carry the gun box in the passenger compartment with you (perhaps on the seat next to you), you are asking for trouble in the event of a traffic stop, especially in San Francisco.

OP, don't push the boundaries of the law. Compliance can be very simple. Don't put yourself and your daughter in a position where you have to argue the subtleties of the law in court.

HANDGUNS

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:11:37 PM EDT
Typically, if you'd explain it clearly, you wouldn't have to re-explain yourself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:04:18 PM EDT
Wow I hope that you guys get some progress with CCW there. You know it's bad when Illinois has better gun laws!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The whole state doesn't go as San Fagcisco goes...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 6:25:32 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
Originally Posted By Featureless:
Typically, if you'd explain it clearly, you wouldn't have to re-explain yourself.
View Quote
How "typical" of you.

That word typical was selected with purpose and care. That you did not read it, decode it, understand it or allow it to register is the problem.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:46:45 AM EDT
You win. Obviously I failed to recognize that effort was important and accuracy wasn't. Here's your trophy for participating.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:53:45 AM EDT

How "typical" of you.

That word typical was selected with purpose and care. That you did not read it, decode it, understand it or allow it to register is the problem.
View Quote
So where does the law say "inaccessible" or do you typically add things instead of giving accurate advice?
Top Top