Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
I was denied today for my pistol permit. Reason= I dot a DUI last July... WTF does that have to do with my right to bear arms. There are LEO's getting DWI's everyday- they do not carry privelages. I wasn't even asking for full carry! Target practice only. UUUUGGGGHHHH damned NY!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Stormin691, what level charge was the DUI?  Seems like it's time to consult a lawyer.  The county will claim the DUI indicates you are a substance abuser and it's up to you to prove otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I blew a .103 pleaded out guilty, first time offense. Paid my fines, took mandatory class and my license is fully restored. The licensing officer said to re-apply one year from the date that it happened. So in July 2007 I can ask permission again.....Bu**sh**
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Stormin691,
See is rkbar15 has anything to say.  He seems to know the NY gun laws better than anybody else on here.
Was it a DWI or a DUI (the lesser charge)?  I don't know if it will make a difference.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to be a dick, but don't drink and drive.

I guess they figure if you're going to be irresponsible with a 2 ton automobile, having a handgun poses a risk as well.

I'm a little biased. I've been hit by 2 drunk drivers. I also had my *house* hit by a drunk driver.

At least you learned from your experience.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, not much sympathy here either.  Wife was hit by a drunk driver.

Wave, I realize such a first offense DUI would not be a felony, but
as a separate issue/question, wouldn't  it impact applying/qualifying
for LEO positions?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was denied today for my pistol permit. Reason= I dot a DUI last July... WTF does that have to do with my right to bear arms. There are LEO's getting DWI's everyday- they do not carry privelages. I wasn't even asking for full carry! Target practice only. UUUUGGGGHHHH damned NY!

My county wont issue you a permit with a DUI either. It shows a lack of good judgement on your part, in the judges opinion, I believe.
As for officers, many agencies wont even hire you with a DUI.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Feraldan said it best.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]
A misdemeanor DWI conviction is not an automatic disqualification for the issuance of a pistol license in NY. Since you said it was your first DWI and as long as you were not involved in a personal injury auto accident you should have been offered a plea to a traffic infraction.

I assume you had an attorney that represented you for the DWI charge so I would discuss your appeal options with him. Personally I would just wait a year and reapply as you will likely get approved as long as you don't get arrested again.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you JohnLINY, and rkbar15 unlike the rest u actually had useful information. It was reduced to a traffic infraction. Instead of irritating the licensing officer I will wait.
On another note I see that people from this NY/NJ board are saints and I should choose my posts wisely. Was just venting yesterday when I posted that... Didn't need all the scrutiny that came from everyone else......
A year is fine with me I got two brand new AR's to play with!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thank you JohnLINY, and rkbar15 unlike the rest u actually had useful information. It was reduced to a traffic infraction. Instead of irritating the licensing officer I will wait.
On another note I see that people from this NY/NJ board are saints and I should choose my posts wisely. Was just venting yesterday when I posted that... Didn't need all the scrutiny that came from everyone else......
A year is fine with me I got two brand new AR's to play with!!!!!!

Stormin691, don't slam people who tried to help you.  There is a wealth of expertise floating around these parts but I know that mine will not be offered to you again.  Had you answered my earlier question about the level of infraction you were plead to I would have given you the name of an attorney in suffolk who has great expertise dealing with SCSD on permit issues.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Storm, I think you got the best advice anyone can give:

Don't drink and drive.

A lot of NY/NJ guys take pride in owning firearms and try to keep a certain level of maturity about it. If you get into a vehicle while impaired and then complain about how you got turned down for a handgun permit, I think you need to consider the cause of the problem and not the effect.

No one took any personal shots at you or put you down for your mistake. No one took a 'holier than thou' attitude. So relax and don't get too excited. There are a lot of very nice people here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Work on clearing your name and your slate. It may take time, maturity and patience is key in firearms ownership in states that are anti-gun. Good luck and welcome to the board, feraldan is correct, there are many great people on this site and helpful too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Question, say you did get your license, then were carrying to the range(which your allowed to do), and had one or two before leaving. Then got stopped for dui, and was armed, would you bitch then about losing your license?
And all the information you got here was useful
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Geez all I'm saying is - yes I made a mistake sorry to everyone out there. Yes I got a dui, YES it WAS poor judgement on my part, YES I did pay my fines, YES I learned my lesson. But what is the difference now after the fact of the matter wether you allow me to have a permit 6 months from today or 12 months from today? I am just annoyed at the fact that I'm still being punished for something that will be a year old in two months. Sorry for pissing all you fellow members off I do apologize. Im just a little frustrated is all-     Sorry -Mike
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sorry for pissing all you fellow members off I do apologize. Im just a little frustrated is all-     Sorry -Mike

I don't see where you've pissed ANYONE off. They've simply expressed their views on the issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks WAVE...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah... you did something stupid. But if you get your license, you'll learn that you can't do anything stupid.  

<thought to self> "If I wouldn't lose my pistol license because of it, this asshole would be on his hands and knees looking for his teeth." </thought to self>  
17 years of self control, even when dealing with people who REALLY need it, and were begging for it. You start to think differently once you have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top