Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 6:11:54 PM EDT

Where the heck are we going to put all of them?  I would like to help the needy, but I fear that we are going to get a lot of rif-raf as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Where ever they put'em, I'm sure it isn't going to be "good enough". These people are gonna start slipping out and causing mischief.

In a related story, today is September 1st, and those of us without permits can legally carry handguns in our cars.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What about housing them at the site of the old super collider down by Waxahachie.  Doesn't a vacant "town" still exist out there?  Or how about the old NAS Grand Prairie?

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

25K in Dallas?  Sources?

The news and online news sites.  Just check it won't be hard to find.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#5]
City manager has told us to expect as many as 100,000.  As of about 9:30 last night, refugees in BR that were orginally supposed to go to San Antonio were being redirected to Ft. Worth.

Already talking with local churches to see if they are willing to help.

mm
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Sheppard AFB here in Wichita Falls just had a large influx of students from Kessler AFB.  Several hundred students are quartered at the base and a lot more are staying with volunteer familes in the area.  My dad, a retired AF LTC has taken in two A1Cs at his house.  I hope they can put up with him!

TC

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told that Texas authorities put the word out that we could take in 25,000 evacuees. They called it off around the 7,000+ mark. That's not counting non-governmental agencies, private homes, etc,., Ray
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]
quarter million people swarming in! whoa.

Perry: Shelters around Texas near capacity

Staff and Wire Reports

By bus and by plane, people displaced by Hurricane Katrina continued to pour into Texas on Saturday, their relief at escaping the devastation often tempered by their horrific experiences and the uncertainty of what lies ahead.

With more than 220,000 evacuees here and more coming, Gov. Rick Perry's office warned that the state was running out of room at Houston's Astrodome, Dallas' Reunion Arena and others facilities being used as shelters.

"We have notified FEMA and Louisiana officials that we are nearing capacity," said Robert Black, a spokesman for Perry.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess we can expect at least 20% to enter our criminal justice system in the next month or two.
This is Collin County, and you're gonna mind.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I sure hope with the 1/4 million new people that have arrived, that they are not going to be considered TX citizens (i.e. democratic voters) as the haven't paid local taxes, they are living here free of charge, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
'Member all that recent flap about "Base Closings?"

Hell, re-open some bases. You got barracks, showers, water, and GOD-FORBID--DISCIPLINE !

Throw in a coupla "vocational teachers." Tell these folks to start makin' a living in the "Real World."

Hellsfire! they might even wind up paying taxes like the rest of us, so's we won't have to support their sorry butts for generations to come.

---Woody---
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
'Member all that recent flap about "Base Closings?"

Hell, re-open some bases. You got barracks, showers, water, and GOD-FORBID--DISCIPLINE !

Throw in a coupla "vocational teachers." Tell these folks to start makin' a living in the "Real World."

Hellsfire! they might even wind up paying taxes like the rest of us, so's we won't have to support their sorry butts for generations to come.

---Woody---

Mainly because those facilities no longer exist or are in a condition that is unsuitable....we looked.  We even removed the prisioners from one jail to provide space for the evacuaees.  We also looked at Market Hall(not suitable), Big Town Mall, AAC, and Love Field.  No matter what the Asst. City Manager Miguez has stated, we will not turn away any displaced person.  Could use some help down at either Reunion or the Dallas Convention Center.  We have about 25,000 now....just in shelters, maybe 100,000 more in hotels/motels, friends' houses, truckstops and churches.

As of right now, we are making plans that these people will still be in these shelters until at least mid-December.  We're already considering what resources we'll need to help find these people jobs or vocational training....Texas does not have the scope of social programs that Louisianna has, nor should we.  The worst thing we can do is turn these people out on the streets and let them fend for themselves.  This isn't over by a long shot, and as of 7pm tonight we're running out of supplies.

mm
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#14]
We should set a cap and ship the rest to Mexico, let a few Mexican illegal immigrants come in (don't worry about looting, they walk thru the desert 5 days at a time without water/food and you don't see them looting) and work for lower than minimum wage (they're use to it and won't complain) and rebuild New Orleans, crime rates will stay the same for Texas, might even decide to let one of them mow my lawn if their average prices drop.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I work at the Infomart in downtown Dallas and frequently have to travel to and from 2 other buildings (the old fed. reserve building, and another off commerce and stemmons). I drove by the American Airlines center the other day and the parking lot is PACKED with people. It seems they are keeping them together for the most part as food and supplies are brought in, as I haven't seen an increase in the number of pedestrians. All I know is I'm not going to be unarmed when traveling these roads at night. The DPD has it's work cut out for them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top