Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/19/2006 5:47:31 PM EST
I went into Turners today to get that Sig Mosquito they had on sale, and they refused to take any of my second forms of residency. All of my utlity bills are not in my name, I drive a work truck, and live in a family owned house so there is no lease agreement; so because of this I have to use something else. The first handgun I used I had a correction from the state treasury that was on state letterhead and my name and address was on it. The same Turners refused it this time because their paper of guidlines says it needs to be a license or registration issued by the government, state, or county. So I get my voter registration card, which is a registration issued by the county; again they refuse to accept it becuase it was not a license registration. So I get my C&R license (which is an ATF issued FFL) and they refuse that saying the DOJ is strict.

What the hell?! According to both Turner's and the DOJ's guidlines those should be accepted; so what in the hell is wrong? I know the DOJ just changed their policy on what is acceptable, but is this ridiculous or is Turner's policy just FUBAR?

And does anyone know for a fact why the DOJ doesn't accept a C&R license as proof of residency? I've heard this from several different sources, but no one can show me anywhere where the DOJ says it doesn't count.

I'm kind of pissed as I really wanted to get that Mosquito before the end of the month, and now I may not be able to get it at all.

(I posted this on calgun too, but I know many of you don't check there outside of the AR madness so I figured I would post it here also to get as much feedback as I can).
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:02:45 PM EST
Email the DOJ asking about C&R. If they say yes (no reason not to right?) then bring the email in with your C&R.

It's what I did with my orders and ham license, the Turners guy while reading the email "Hmm I wouldn't have thought so."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:15:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 7:17:21 PM EST by NeoWeird]
I emailed them a short while ago, still no response; and judging by their usual time frame to respond, I won't be able to get it for a couple months

ETA: I can't type.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:50 PM EST
Find and stick with an FFL you know and who knows you. That should eliminate the problem.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:11:28 PM EST
I have gone in 4 different times to purchase firearms (including a handgun) from this Turner's, and go in frequnetly to talk, see stuff, and get random carp (ammo, cleaning stuff, etc). It was probably because I didn't talk with Denis, who I usually deal with. Maybe I will call tomorrow and ask again, but talk to someone else.

I'm still confused over the whole C&R thing, as I have said, I have heard that from several different people, including people who weren't in the business.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:47:15 PM EST
You said you were picking up a SIG Mosquito. A handgun. Which means you're at least 21. What're you doing still living at home?

Yo­u should get a notarized letter from your parents saying you live with them w/o rent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:24:54 PM EST
I don't live at home. We are ranchers though, and just about EVERYTHING we own (including what we live in) is in the name of the ranch. All utilities, bills, etc are in the family name (it was made that way for legal reasons for when my grandparents died). I live on my own (well me and brother live here) but all bills get paid to the ranch business, who then pays our portion to the utilities, etc. I know it sounds complicated, but try having three different families decide what bill they want to pay and you will understand why they decided to combine it all into one and have each pay it's portion.

Besides, my family is about as anti-gun as I am pro-gun, and seeing as I own something like 16 or 17 firearms already, you can imagine how likely the chances of me getting anything notarized from my family or the business saying I live somehwere is just so I can buy more.

They think I only own 4 .

I am thinking m best bet is my C&R, which is what is so agrivating about everyone telling me I can't use it, since it clearly meets the criteria the DOJ set forth.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:50:31 AM EST
makeup a lease aggreement it will take you 5 minutes and you probably could find a fill in the blank one of the internet.

Or skip turners they are too by the book...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:41:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 11:45:09 AM EST by Mike_Mills]
You do have a driver's license, don't you?

Did you register with the selective service? Show them your draft card.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:52:51 PM EST
Go to your local stationary store or Staples and buy a pack of lease agreements. Then fill it out, no need to lie, as your lease is with your mom or whom ever...It can be for $1 a month, then get your leasor to sign it. Here is a list of stuff from staples.com: http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&categoryId=41659&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Sorry, you have to copy and paste it... no wait I figured it out.www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&categoryId=41659&catalogId=10051&langId=-1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:17:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:
You do have a driver's license, don't you?

Did you register with the selective service? Show them your draft card.

Yes I did, but now that you mention it I never remember getting my card.....

And I went in the next day and gave them my C&R (same guy too) and he accepted it like it was nothing. He was kind of a jerk, but once we got talking I think he just didn't know left from right in the gun world.
Top Top