Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 1/22/2008 1:05:44 PM EST
Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith here in the DFW area that has dealt with Galils? My .223 ARM seems to have several bolt over FTF's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:46:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:49:46 AM EST
bolt over failure to feed - the bolt will miss the rear of the next round and drag the round out of the magazine by the force applied to the middle of the cartridge case, causing a jam with the round pinched with the bullet nose just inside the chamber at an angle, with the bolt pinching the middle of the cartridge
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:13:13 AM EST
My first guess would be magazine faliure. Do you have your mags numbered? Is this happening with any of your other mags? Second would be does this happen with more than one type of ammo? Your ammo may not be fully cycling the bolt.

my .02
keep us posted
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:04:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:27:47 AM EST
That was my first thought as well. I have two mags that seem to fail consistently and 4 that do it randomly. The .223 rounds are several years old, but my AR's don't having any failures with them (I guess I was expecting it to eat up anything like my AK's). After getting the failure in all the mags, I quit trying to diagnose it with live rounds and just having been hand cycling it with dummies. I'm worried the receiver might have been machined a little out of spec. The mags are all steel R4 mags except the original, but I cannot distinguish it from the rest.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:43:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/23/2008 6:13:25 AM EST by MOS2111]
Might want to even load them to full cap, and let them sit for a week - all with the ammo you were using and see if you have a problem. Repeat with different ammo. Different weapon systems, differnt variables, the bolt group on your galil may require more force to cycle than an AR with a non m16 bolt group.

Refresh my memory, does the galil have an adjustable gass port?
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:50:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:53:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:00:14 AM EST
Very low, less than 100 rounds. I seldom get the opportunity to shoot, and when I do it's usually one of the AR's. The more I think about it, it probably is the mags. They do seem rather tight. I'll do as suggested; load 'em up and let 'em sit. FWIW it's not an IMI Galil, but an ORF manufactured one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:32:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/23/2008 9:35:28 AM EST by mojo]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:23:18 AM EST
height=8
So it's a problem from the beginning?

Pretty much. I didn't think too much of it at first when the one mag had the occasional failure. Now with 6 mags having either occasional or constant failure, I think differently.

height=8
Try this: Load about 5 or 10 rds in a mag....Insert into your Galil....Manually work the charging handle on each round to see if it gives you the same problem.

Yeah, that what I've been doing with the dummy rounds.

height=8
Same problem indicates:
1. It might not be the ammo.
2. Mags.
3. The receiver is slightly out of spec.

If it strips each round properly, then you can eliminate mags and receiver factor and focus on ammo and why the bolt not moving back with consistent manner.

It's the best I can come up with.

I'm hoping it's just the mags, but I'm still worried it's the receiver. I was hoping I could find a gunsmith to leave it with and let him fix it since I can't get to the range enough. The last time I had it out I had brought it along to shoot with some friends on a trip up to Tennessee . Good thing I'd also brought an AKS-74 otherwise I'd had nothing to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:23:59 AM EST
call orf and send it back. it has a warranty
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:18:46 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By starduks:
call orf and send it back. it has a warrantyh.
Top Top