Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:39:38 AM EST
Well my first 3 firearms I purchased went through with no problem, then, since Oct of last year I started getting delayed. The last delay was followed up the next day with a call from the FBI with the greenlight to go ahead. This last time (a few days ago) it was delayed again, then denied 30 minutes later. So now I get to go through the wonderful and lengthy process of an appeal. Then as soon as that gets cleared up, I am filing for one of those "unique personal identification numbers" so that I dont have this problem anymore. Any by the way, NO, nothing legally has changed for me at all since my very first purchase.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:43:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 7:45:14 AM EST by spreadfirearms]
Originally Posted By Xlr8torZ28:
Well my first 3 firearms I purchased went through with no problem, then, since Oct of last year I started getting delayed. The last delay was followed up the next day with a call from the FBI with the greenlight to go ahead. This last time (a few days ago) it was delayed again, then denied 30 minutes later. So now I get to go through the wonderful and lengthy process of an appeal. Then as soon as that gets cleared up, I am filing for one of those "unique personal identification numbers" so that I dont have this problem anymore. Any by the way, NO, nothing legally has changed for me at all since my very first purchase.

this happened to a friend of mine who was a cop. he had to submit fingerprints to FBI. this was before thr UPIN. now he gets delayed instead of denied.

another way is just getting a CHL. that's probably an easier process unless whatever is causing the denial will cause a delay in your CHL approval too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:46:21 AM EST
Well that just plain sucks! I used to have an FFL, let it expire when Clinton was taking office. I usually get delayed, then the ok comes through. I suppose there is a bottom feeder out there somewhere and we share the exact same name and the flag goes up and they have to dig further to figure out I'm not the bottom feeder.
Good luck on your appeal! What a hassle

GM15!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:46:27 AM EST
You know, if you get a Texas CHL, the FFL does not need to call the purchase into NICS. Many police officers have a TX CHL for this very reason.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:08:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By TomHighway:
You know, if you get a Texas CHL, the FFL does not need to call the purchase into NICS. Many police officers have a TX CHL for this very reason.

I just hope that whatever caused this problem will not delay the issuance of a CHL.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:40:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By spreadfirearms:

I just hope that whatever caused this problem will not delay the issuance of a CHL.

It very well could delay his CHL app processing. However, it will also likely unearth what the problem was (if the problem were real and not a clerical mistake by DPS or FBI). In addition, once he gets his CHL, he does not have to worry with this problem again. Doing nothing and just hoping the problem goes away will not likely get him to where he wants to be (i.e., to be able to buy a firearm at will).

So, I don't see the downside at all at pursuing the CHL route.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:35:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 10:36:16 AM EST by JimM44]
There are lots of CHL restrictions that do not prevent someone from buying a firearm.

So some folks that get delayed will just have to live with it because they CAN'T get a CHL.

Even some folks who hold an FFL and a retail store front may not be able to get a CHL.

To get an FFL or buy a firearm requires you not be to convicted of a crime including demostic voilence, no so for a CHL, they have a lot more restirctions than that attached to it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:15:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Xlr8torZ28:

Do you provide your SSN on the form?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:36:25 PM EST

My assumption is that someone who shares your name has done something recently so now you are suffering from his actions. I would get a CHL and avoid the instacheck. A CHL should not suffer from the same delays as you provide your residence history which should help to isolate you in this case from someone whom you may share a name with.

HK Ag

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:03:45 PM EST
He may have a difficult time trying to get a chl, one of the questions that you have to answer is ,Can you leagelly buy a firearm, if I remember the question is can you pass the Brady check.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:01:53 PM EST

It very well could delay his CHL app processing. However, it will also likely unearth what the problem was (if the problem were real and not a clerical mistake by DPS or FBI). In addition, once he gets his CHL, he does not have to worry with this problem again. Doing nothing and just hoping the problem goes away will not likely get him to where he wants to be (i.e., to be able to buy a firearm at will).

i dont see anywhere where anyone advocated that he do "nothing and just hope the problem goes away." he did say he was going to contact FBI NICS and get a UPIN. the CHL was another alternative. i simply pointed out that if he is denied at NICS and does not deal with that simultaneously, there is a possibility that whatever is causing the problem at the federal level may also interfere with his background check when he goes for a CHL. not that the OP has any legal issues like he pointed out. i do agree that the CHL is a better way to go since chances are he will probably go from "denied" to "delayed" status like i've seen with others. with the CHL it shouldn't be an issue because the call to FBI NICS is not needed, unless, you go to Wal-Mart or a place where their policy is to call FBI NICS regardless of a CHL or not.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:29:40 PM EST
Do you guys not provide your SSN when buying?

The first time I purchased a gun I didn't provide my SSN and i got delayed. The FFL told me that you get delayed if you don't provide your SSN, so I provided my SSN every time since and I have never been delayed.

Also, it should eliminate this business about getting mixed up with some dirt bag with the same name as you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:01:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Do you guys not provide your SSN when buying?

The first time I purchased a gun I didn't provide my SSN and i got delayed. The FFL told me that you get delayed if you don't provide your SSN, so I provided my SSN every time since and I have never been delayed.

Also, it should eliminate this business about getting mixed up with some dirt bag with the same name as you.

that's not actually 100% true. i've had guys get a "proceed" without the SSN and i've had guys get "delayed" with the SSN. what i usually tell people is that if they've never had a problem getting delayed in the past w/o the SSN then don't write it down. if they have then maybe it helps but no guarantee. if this is the first time filling out a 4473 then its up to you, but i'd suggest listing it if you had a very common name like John Smith or something.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:22:12 PM EST
I did give my SSN. I also checked publicdata.com after posting this thread and was suprised at how many results there were with my same name and really suprised at how many were in Texas. I was talking to my mom about it and she reminded me of something that happened back in 1995. The FBI payed my parents a visit saying they were looking for me, but it ended up being someone with my same name that apparently was in trouble together with his wife. And yes, I do just need to get the CHL. I never really planned on actually carrying, but just the fact that I wont have BS buying anymore is worth it. I am going to get all of this cleared up first and then move on to the next step.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:11:08 PM EST

This-and the fact its $25.00.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:13:44 PM EST

i dont see anywhere where anyone advocated that he do "nothing and just hope the problem goes away." he did say he was going to contact FBI NICS and get a UPIN. the CHL was another alternative. i simply pointed out that if he is denied at NICS and does not deal with that simultaneously, there is a possibility that whatever is causing the problem at the federal level may also interfere with his background check when he goes for a CHL. not that the OP has any legal issues like he pointed out. i do agree that the CHL is a better way to go since chances are he will probably go from "denied" to "delayed" status like i've seen with others. with the CHL it shouldn't be an issue because the call to FBI NICS is not needed, unless, you go to Wal-Mart or a place where their policy is to call FBI NICS regardless of a CHL or not.

I was not trying to be argumentative. The point (however ineffective) that I was trying to make was that pursuing the CHL was an affirmative step to smoke out the problem and to get to a conclusion. The FBI route to me could go on for some time, and in the end not yield any positive results. The OP apparently has a relatively common name (e.g., John Smith) so he is getting the Stink Eye from the government when it may not have been warranted.

Again, I did not mean to criticize or attack your earlier post.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:15:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By AKJEFF:

Even if you have a CHL, most FFLs still charge a fee (generally $20 instead of $25) and you still have to fill out Form 4473. To me , the real benefit is being able to avoid any hassles with NICS.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:48:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By AKJEFF:

Even if you have a CHL, most FFLs still charge a fee (generally $20 instead of $25) and you still have to fill out Form 4473. To me , the real benefit is being able to avoid any hassles with NICS.

i think he means the app fee is $25 for peace officers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:57:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By boywonder777:
i think he means the app fee is $25 for peace officers.

Yep. Lucky.

Also, NICS can be offline too. It has happened. The gunshow I was attending at the time, dealers were still making transactions but the buyers would have to wait to pick up their purchase at a later date. Since I had my CHL, I was able to take my purchases home that day.
Top Top