Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 9:29:19 AM EDT
And not a moment too soo.
Several years’ back i picked up about 80 acres on 65 highway 1 hr north of Springfield.  Rolling hills, water and hardwoods.  Very different from Texas and it's time to make the yearly fall trip to hunt bambi.  

so are you excited?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I am ready to go. Did the final scouting yesterday and everything looks good. I am moving my shooting position maybe 100-150yds from last year but this spot should be just as good. The really kewl part is this year will be my GFs first time ever hunting. For those who have met her Jen (Kudra18) is from NY and always looked at guns with fear, now she is a huntress.
Now that I am thinking about it I do have to go check on a few things, see if they are all where I put them up last year. Gotta make sure I have those really warm gloves and that thick bright orange wool cap so I won't have to make a mad rush into wal-mart at the last minute...
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I can hardly wait! There are a bunch of deer in MO now. The hunting should be great. I am taking my 14 year old daughter for the first (deer hunt) time.
I took her out for fall turkey season this year. She has helped me clean a turkey before and finally decided she would like to go out and hunt too. We didn't get one, but saw a bunch. Just couldn't get them in close enough for a good shot.
We saw a lot of deer also. Last year I got a real nice nine point. The hunting is just starting to get good again. There was a lot of poaching going on before, but new gates have put a stop to that. We hunt just west of Salem.

Goodluck!
Eric
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I am very excited. I am almost ready. Just a few last minute details to tie up, (Namely the biggest buck I can rope tied to old barn out back Ha Ha Just kidding)
I’m actually getting the most of the rifle season off due to other peoples laziness at putting in for leave time. (Thank God for those slackers)
Well my goat is roped. Ha Ha
Have fun and Have a safe hunt Gentlemen and Ladies.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
308wood sounds like your near Buffalo.
Haven't heard anything about hunting up there.
Let me or us know how you do.
Heard lots of good things about Texas Co. though. If that's where you hunt Holeshot4.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, I am already to go.  The honey do list is done honey.  I leave out tonight for my hobby farm up in Macon Co. not to far away from the Beekeeper1.  That'll give me a little time to work on the deer stands and put in a wood buring stove for the cabin all before the group arrives Friday.

Holeshot4 we have lots of poachers and road hunters up North too.  They all seem to come out around deer season.

Here's acouple of pics

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Heard lots of good things about Texas Co. though. If that's where you hunt Holeshot4.

We are in Dent Co. It gets better every year. I have seen some pretty nice deer at the check station in Salem in past years.

Mecheng,
I hunt on some family (inlaws) land. Other family have been buying up the property around it and getting better fences and gates built. I only started hunting about 15 years ago and, darn near, never saw any deer for the first 10. People were able to drive on in, shoot, load it up and drive out without much of a problem. This was happening all year long. Now they would have to drag game for quite a ways to get it out, which is too much trouble. Our hunting is getting pretty good.
Your property looks nice. The wife and I hope to get some, ourselves, in the next couple of years.
Good Luck everyone! And be safe!

Eric
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes I am very excited. I am almost ready. Just a few last minute details to tie up, (Namely the biggest buck I can rope tied to old barn out back Ha Ha Just kidding)
I’m actually getting the most of the rifle season off due to other peoples laziness at putting in for leave time. (Thank God for those slackers)
Well my goat is roped. Ha Ha
Have fun and Have a safe hunt Gentlemen and Ladies.

Don't forget to feed him! He has to last till, at least, Saturday.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I forgot the feeder. Oh well better let him go.
I use to live north of Macon little town called Atlanta. Beautiful land out there. Step-dad use to go hunting on conservations land can’t remember but I think it was  national park or something at lest 20 years ago. He always got a deer though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Just about ready to go.  I hunt on family land in Warren County between Washington and Warrenton.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just about ready to go.  I hunt on family land in Warren County between Washington and Warrenton.  

That's nice and close!
Good Luck,

Eric
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I just get up early and drive there each day.  Good luck to all of you.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The only deer I saw all day was the 10 point buck I helped another guy drag out of the woods.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
OK.....One of these days I need to get off my duff and actually go deer hunting....problem is, I don't have the first idea of what I'm doing (well, I've got the shooting bit figured out, but I don't even know where on a deer you would want to hit).

Since I don't really have any family members who hunt (I think one of my cousins, might, but I don't see them that often), where would a complete go to learn?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Fan...

Hook up with someone here.

Get the deer hunting literature from the Conservation Department for a first step.

There is still time this season!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, this season is most likely out for lack of $ and transportation.  I'll see about getting ahold of the conservation department's hunting literature in the meantime.

Maybe when next season rolls around I'll try to find someone nearby who'd want to show a newbie how things are done.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK.....One of these days I need to get off my duff and actually go deer hunting....problem is, I don't have the first idea of what I'm doing (well, I've got the shooting bit figured out, but I don't even know where on a deer you would want to hit).

Since I don't really have any family members who hunt (I think one of my cousins, might, but I don't see them that often), where would a complete go to learn?

Ya know, it is kinda funny. Nobody in my family ever really hunted. Nobody ever took me hunting Nobody in my immediate family even had a gun. My first gun, a Marlin model 60 .22 I snuck into my house and nobody ever knew I had it. I just got interested in guns and finally I had a friend who took me deer hunting. Now I freeze /sweat my butt off every year in november just to look at some pretty scenery (scenery that rarely includes a deer by the way) So I understand where you are coming from.
I am sure if you would like someone here would love to help you out. Can you imagine anyone here passing up an opportunity to show someone else how wise and knowledgable they are?
Where ya from? If the st. louis area is your home area I can give you a hand, if not I am sure someone else closer will be glad to help.
Oh yeah, ARs make fine deer guns. Where the power level may be on the low side they make up for with accuracy and really quick follow up shots if neccessary.
Editted to add;
Wednesday. day five of 2003 deer season. Went out yesterday morning, this morning and this evening. Still haven't seen a deer since Sunday evening. I blame it all on the weather...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
missouriwhitetails.com/

www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/mammals/deer2/

www.mdc.missouri.gov/hunt/deer/deer_hunting/intro.htm

The last link is your intoduction to deer hunting.  You can start on the first page and click through each topic.

Here is a site I found just last weekend -
www.jesseshunting.com/

Here's something new, a link to online maps of the conservation areas in Missouri!

www.conservation.state.mo.us/cgi-bin/atlas/simplesearch.cgi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top